Reload this Page >

moving 2 dogs to usa in sept

moving 2 dogs to usa in sept

Old Jul 30th 2011, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

bluemaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving 2 dogs to usa in sept

Originally Posted by sue rae
Hi I understand that B.A dont allow individuals to do "self" boarding changed their procedure I guess We hope to fly with Virgin and the prices of around £2000 is with us providing dog crates etc ! seems so high for the poor Dogs who only get to be in the hold (is higher than our same day flight ticket)

When are you going and is it LA? be aware also that LAX dont accept animals on weekends !
We are relocating to Tennessee in 3-4 weeks but most airlines wont fly Boxers into anywhere over 24C so Atlanta and Memphis are out of the question at this time of year. Continental look to be more pet friendly but we are yet to get a quote from them.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

sue rae is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bluemaze
We are relocating to Tennessee in 3-4 weeks but most airlines wont fly Boxers into anywhere over 24C so Atlanta and Memphis are out of the question at this time of year. Continental look to be more pet friendly but we are yet to get a quote from them.
Hi My prices were mis quoted its in fact £3000 for the two dogs I have heard that the temperature can stop pets being allowed to land and again my quote was from Virgin !
Old Jul 30th 2011, 6:19 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

If you do it yourself (we did 5 years ago Gatwick-Dallas with American),

DO NOT book a flight with a layover. Fly direct to LAX. That way the time the dog spends in a USA airport is kept to a minimum and if you fly into somewhere within the temperature limits, but your final destination is too hot for the dog to fly then you are in trouble.

a.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

we hope to be in orange county California
Older dog had the ok to fly !!! yes ! thank goodness ! just have little one to check now ! paws crossed !
Does anyone could tell how to make comfortable woofers for travel as in what goes into flight box etc ? whats allowed ? thinking of using lavender oil on blankets and "bachrescue remedy " ! any suggestions wld be well received !!! Thanx
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 5:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Older dog had the ok to fly !!! yes ! thank goodness ! just have little one to check now ! paws crossed !
Thanx
I thought that the certification had to be made within ten days of the flight date. Is this just for your personal peace of mind?
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 5:48 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Don't put in anything you don't want to get peed on.

I strongly recommend Dry Fur carrier inserts instead of towels.

http://www.dryfur.com/category/pet-a...ur-travel-pads

However, in 2009 they were only sold in the us so it might be difficult to get them. We used them in our cat's carrier and also used a towel. At the end of the flight, the towel was bunched up in the corner and wet with cat pee. The dryfur pad was still in place on the bottom of the carrier, had been peed on, but was dry to the touch.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 5:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone could tell how to make comfortable woofers for travel as in what goes into flight box etc ? whats allowed ? thinking of using lavender oil on blankets and "bachrescue remedy " ! any suggestions wld be well received !!! Thanx
Put it's blanket and a couple of fave toys in the crate...something that has it's own scent on it for re-assurance.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 7:11 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

We put in his blanket but while he had his overnight stay in Amsterdam they put lots of shredded newspaper in as well.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bluemaze
I came over last year via Amsterdam like Weeze and about the same time. I checked all the airlines and Continental would not fly my dog at all, no matter what time of year. They told me they will not carry any snub nosed dog, even if they are a mix breed which mine is.

As to the rabies vaccine. when we went through customs the agent said just show me the rabies cert and then barely even glanced at it. There was no way he read anything, he just wanted to see we had one!

The cost via Amsterdam btw was approx 300 euro as they fly excess baggage. KLM flies direct to Houston though.

Last edited by 1chumly; Aug 2nd 2011 at 8:50 pm. Reason: addition
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I thought that the certification had to be made within ten days of the flight date. Is this just for your personal peace of mind?

Yes it is just for me we go back just b4 we fly to get documents etc !just a little concerned for my older woofer so hence the early visit
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 1chumly
I came over last year via Amsterdam like Weeze and about the same time. I checked all the airlines and Continental would not fly my dog at all, no matter what time of year. They told me they will not carry any snub nosed dog, even if they are a mix breed which mine is.

As to the rabies vaccine. when we went through customs the agent said just show me the rabies cert and then barely even glanced at it. There was no way he read anything, he just wanted to see we had one!

The cost via Amsterdam btw was approx 300 euro as they fly excess baggage. KLM flies direct to Houston though.

our Vet said yesterday that the rabies would be ok to do when we arrived is that not the case then ?
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

ismo220 is an unknown quantity at this point

our Vet said yesterday that the rabies would be ok to do when we arrived is that not the case then ?
Every state has different requirements for the Rabbies vaccination. Also, some airlines require it. So if you are unsure contact the head of the Veterinary Department of the state you are moving to. Failing that, get it done while you are in the UK and there should be no issues.

The UK uses a dead sample of rabies for the vaccination, so some states may require that you get the live sample when you enter the USA anyway.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

For peace of mind I would do it before you leave, ditto with the heartworm treatment. That has nothing to do with entry but vital for your dogs health. Your vet would have to order it probably which mine did with no problems. If you decide not to do that before you leave you should start your dog immediately when you arrive in the US (and your dog will have to be tested here to make sure they are heartworm negative before they will be prescribed the preventative).
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 2:02 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

As 1chumly says, this is nothing to do with the regulations, but with the safety of your dogs. Better to have them arrive already protected from rabies than to have to get the shots in the hullabaloo of your settling in/getting organized. God forbid they had any kind of close encounter with a wild animal, and you would be in all kinds of trouble if they weren't protected.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
As 1chumly says, this is nothing to do with the regulations, but with the safety of your dogs. Better to have them arrive already protected from rabies than to have to get the shots in the hullabaloo of your settling in/getting organized. God forbid they had any kind of close encounter with a wild animal, and you would be in all kinds of trouble if they weren't protected.
thanx for all the replys !! will re investigate and chat properly and again with the Vet just got a listing from internet with regard to which rabies vac is considered ok if we do it here !
My older boy is going to have a waiver cos of his auto immune probs and rabies innoc could damage his health and make probs worse for him all a bit worrying !!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.