Reload this Page >

Moving 2 cats from London to San Francisco

Moving 2 cats from London to San Francisco

Old Jun 1st 2016, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

flagunitas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving 2 cats from London to San Francisco

Hi,

We're preparing to move to SF in the Summer and was hoping some people can give me some experience they've had of moving cats. I've been told that using British airways or Virgin are the best options as they have high standards and years of experience.

Either way, its going to be a traumatic experience for the cats. They hate being taken to the vet let alone stuck in a cage inside an aircraft for 12+ hours.

I bought their airline approved crates already and have them open in the house with the hope of they'll get used to them.

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old Jun 1st 2016, 12:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving 2 cats from London to San Francisco

Owners usually seem to be more traumatized by the process than their pets are.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

You may wish to take a look at this thread from just a couple of days ago:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...settle-878129/
Old Jun 1st 2016, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Zara162 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flagunitas
Hi,

We're preparing to move to SF in the Summer and was hoping some people can give me some experience they've had of moving cats. I've been told that using British airways or Virgin are the best options as they have high standards and years of experience.

Either way, its going to be a traumatic experience for the cats. They hate being taken to the vet let alone stuck in a cage inside an aircraft for 12+ hours.

I bought their airline approved crates already and have them open in the house with the hope of they'll get used to them.

Thanks,
We moved our cat and two dogs from Leicester UK to Atlanta. They had to make an overnight stop in Amsterdam but all went well. We used "Airpets" which is based near heathrow they were fantastic. They build a carrier for your pet and they pick them up from your home the day before the flight so they are kept calm and comfortable and their vets check them before they board. Make sure you don't forget the rabies shot (very important) they flew with Delta.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flagunitas
Hi,

Thanks,
Which airport will you be coming from? LHR to SFO direct is the only way to go in my opinion. Don't change plane if you can possibly avoid it, I've done that trip many times. BA or Virgin are the best bet, I've never done that trip with United. Whatever you do avoid going through Atlanta, remember the first place you land, you will have to go through immigration and I don't know how they will deal with the cats. Best do all that at your destination.

oops missed the bit coming from London. Applies even more so

Last edited by johnwoo; Jun 1st 2016 at 9:11 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 9:28 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...isions_1_0.pdf

Main thing is to have proof of the rabies shot, that's all CBP really cares about.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

There have been a few threds on this subject. Here is another

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...thansa-873305/

For a 12 hour trip I would recommend putting puppy pads and vet bad in the carrier. My cat didn't go to the toilet until he got home after 14 hours. But not all cats are the same.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...isions_1_0.pdf

Main thing is to have proof of the rabies shot, that's all CBP really cares about.
I didn't get asked for any paper work when I arrived in Chicago from LHR 8 years ago. They just asked me if my cat looked OK. I took my cat in the cabin, maybe that makes a difference.