Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Movin to USA from UK question

Movin to USA from UK question

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Cozie has a brilliant futureCozie has a brilliant futureCozie has a brilliant futureCozie has a brilliant futureCozie has a brilliant futureCozie has a brilliant futureCozie has a brilliant future
Default Movin to USA from UK question

My girlfriend and I are having an impossible time sorting out the best way to legally have her move to California. She is a UK citizen and I am an US citizen. We have been doing a great deal of research and have even seen an immigration attorney. We know that Federal Immigration laws do not recognize same sex marriages. We also have found it impossible to locate information on potential sponsors. Having her go back to school here in the States is extremely expensive for international students. The obstacles seem limitless. Is anyone else going through a similar situation ? If anyone has any light they can share on the matter or can offer any assistance or direction for us, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:41 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movin to USA from UK question

Marry her father and then have him petition to bring her in.

Kidding (but that would be the easiest, though even that would take time)

You've looked at the student route though it appears that's closed for financial reasons. You may want to look at other options, such as community colleges or lower priced universities that would be eligible for the student visa but not break the bank.

An h1 visa is a real bear--you can try but it's basically a lottery and she would need some pretty serious credentials AND a company willing to sponsor her (i.e. tech, law, medicine).

You might look having her find a job with a company in the UK and then get transfered over to the US. Find a big multinational, due some time in the home office and then get sent over.

Whatever you decide--DO NOT OVERSTAY! If she overstays her current visa than you can pretty much kiss all options goodbye for 3 to 10 years. Yea, that long. Just don't go there. Keep her legal for now even if you don't want to be apart. Once you go down that route there really is not escape (short of marriage, which as you noted is not a realistic option)
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cozie
My girlfriend and I are having an impossible time sorting out the best way to legally have her move to California. She is a UK citizen and I am an US citizen. We have been doing a great deal of research and have even seen an immigration attorney. We know that Federal Immigration laws do not recognize same sex marriages. We also have found it impossible to locate information on potential sponsors. Having her go back to school here in the States is extremely expensive for international students. The obstacles seem limitless. Is anyone else going through a similar situation ? If anyone has any light they can share on the matter or can offer any assistance or direction for us, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Normally it takes 1 year to establish residence in the state of California to be eligible for in-state tuition. Possibly she could get a student visa and attend one of the community colleges for one year (non resident cost to a community college would still be less than the in-state tuition at the UC system) and then enroll in the UC system the following years. Check with an immigration laywer to see if this will work for a person immigrating from another country.

Other than that, I don't have any suggestions.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:31 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Movin to USA from UK question

The only person I'm aware of whom posts from time to time on this board whom is in a same sex relationship is 'Rockgurl'. However, she is a nurse and was able to get a Green Card because of her profession.

I don't know if it's an option for your girlfriend but it would take a few years to re-train as a nurse and then transfer to the US.

On the other hand, have you considered moving to the UK yourself? It's very easy for British citizens to bring their same-sex partners into the UK.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:49 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Surprised the ACLU hasn't brought suit over this before.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
The only person I'm aware of whom posts from time to time on this board whom is in a same sex relationship is 'Rockgurl'. However, she is a nurse and was able to get a Green Card because of her profession.

I don't know if it's an option for your girlfriend but it would take a few years to re-train as a nurse and then transfer to the US.

On the other hand, have you considered moving to the UK yourself? It's very easy for British citizens to bring their same-sex partners into the UK.
Hard to get over as a nurse just now - visas in "retrogression" whatever exactly that is. But I know the nurses trying to get over are having long waits just now.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Cozie has a brilliant futureCozie has a brilliant futureCozie has a brilliant futureCozie has a brilliant futureCozie has a brilliant futureCozie has a brilliant futureCozie has a brilliant future

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE REPSONSES...It seems easier to just move away to the UK but it is her dream to be able to live with me here. Until this current relationship I had no idea of all the difficulties the United States places on those who wish to come to this country. Her and I are both college educated professionals that never dreamed it would be so challenging to legally exist in the USA together. Its heartbreaking.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

OzzyLee has a brilliant futureOzzyLee has a brilliant futureOzzyLee has a brilliant futureOzzyLee has a brilliant futureOzzyLee has a brilliant futureOzzyLee has a brilliant futureOzzyLee has a brilliant futureOzzyLee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Cozie
Until this current relationship I had no idea of all the difficulties the United States places on those who wish to come to this country.
The majority of Americans have no idea of how hard it is for well educated, hard working people to gain permanent residence in the USA

Good luck .. and keep your chin up
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Play the game others do, have a male friend 'marry' her.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranston
Play the game others do, have a male friend 'marry' her.
Umm, no.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

megs is on a distinguished road

Being a student needn't necessarily be expensive. If your partner has a degree, she could attend university in the US as a grad student. I did this, and although I had to show that on paper I could afford the fees and living costs (took out a bank loan, got a statement showing the money, paid the loan straight back), in practice, I got a graduate assistantship which paid my fees and a stipend on top. I wasn't rich, but I didn't starve.

If she takes a vocational masters - I did an MPA - then the two year student visa can be extended for a further year for relevant work experience, which might, just might, lead to a real job.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megs
If she takes a vocational masters - I did an MPA - then the two year student visa can be extended for a further year for relevant work experience, which might, just might, lead to a real job.
Getting a job is the easiest part of the puzzle. Getting the company to sponsor you for a visa is a bit more difficult... and the hardest part is actually getting the visa. You could have 10 jobs lined up... if you don't have a visa, the jobs are irrelevant.

Ian
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:39 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megs
and I guess the longer she can legitimatly hang around over here (ie with a job etc) the more chance there is that they might one day change immigration legislation to reflect the real world changes that we are now seeing (ie same sex marriages been recognised in the us etc etc). a slim chance but nethertheless a chance.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

I don't know if it's an option for your girlfriend but it would take a few years to re-train as a nurse and then transfer to the US
Good god, don't advise people to train as a nurse to get a visa!

Firstly, one should pursue a career they are interested in/show aptitude in - not something they think will end up with a visa.

Secondly, there are no greencards for nurses at this time, so it wouldn't help anyway.