Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Movers - lost ALL our stuff!

Movers - lost ALL our stuff!

Old Jun 10th 2016, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movers - lost ALL our stuff!

Originally Posted by MBee
My husband and I recently moved from the UK to the USA. We used a Walsall based company, SNIP to ship 10 cartons containing our personal possessions. After a 7 month delay it appears now that the UK company has simply lost our goods through sheer incompetence / gross negligence.
Owing to financial constraints we were not able to afford the additional full insurance.

SNIPhas told us that we are therefore unable to claim for compensation. Due to the circumstance of this error i.e. simply lost without a trace I wondered if anyone would know, from a legal standpoint, if we really are up the creek without a paddle or if someone had similar experiences with this company and what the outcome was?

We would have accepted damage to goods if it happened, but losing everything we owned never really entered the realm of possibility for us... Needless to say we are incredibly shocked and appalled.

M
So you didn't have "full" insurance, what insurance did you have?

If you didn't have any insurance, I doubt that there would be any recourse at all. If there were, nobody would insure their shipment.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I know my stuff almost got lost, the problem with mine happened once it arrived in the US. The receiving company in the US seemed to operate on paper and failed to keep track of the goods. They failed to contact me once my stuff had arrived, it was only by luck that I got my stuff after paying storage fees. My stuff would have been disposed of the following week , if I had not picked it up. The UK company just kept saying they did not know what had happened to my shipment.
Might be worth finding out where you stuff should have arrived in the US.
Same thing happened to me. Receiving company sent notice of arrival to the wrong address (same street, completely different house number) so I never knew it had arrived. Had to call the receivers myself and find out what was going on.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 9:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sorry to hear that. You must be very upset. I'm moving cross county in 10 days and can only imagine what I would feel like if the moving truck loses my household belongings. I know it is unlikely, but these things can happen.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 9:28 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

A very well known UK shipping company that I am not going to pick on had our bill-to address as the street name and number and just "Texas" as the city and state.

Try and get more info from them on how your items were handled and labelled.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Lost seems very vague combined with a wait of 7 months is very odd. I would find out if it ever left the UK.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh how awful, I hope you are able to get your stuff back or at least compo.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Read a story a couple of years ago about a young lady who went on holiday and when she came back, her flat was completely empty.

The landlord had booked a cleaning company to come and clean the flat, but they had marked it down as a clearance instead of a clean. Her laptop and everything was thrown away.

I am assuming that at least you have your small valuables that you brought with you (laptop, camera...) It's a nightmare.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 10:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Read a story a couple of years ago about a young lady who went on holiday and when she came back, her flat was completely empty.

The landlord had booked a cleaning company to come and clean the flat, but they had marked it down as a clearance instead of a clean. Her laptop and everything was thrown away.
My mums mate, they went on holiday back to Japan for the summer and came home to find the home empty.

Thieves came with a truck and emptied the place, light fittings, appliances, they even took the flowers in the garden.

Neighbours said it happened over a few days but just thought they were moving back to Japan considering how much luggage they loaded into the taxi.

Turns out one of the apprentices for one of the contractors they had used a bit before read about the trip on the calendar and told some dodgy friends.