Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moved to Texas?

Moved to Texas?

Old Feb 8th 2011, 3:56 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved to Texas?

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
lol - well to be fair to me, I was a lot younger and hadn't lived out of California, with exception to a few months when I was a rebellious teen, I stayed in Oregon with my aunt. It was a whole different ballgame in Texas.
I loved Portland, lived there for two years. But like any state, once you get too far out of the city, the people are just as weird and rednecky as anything you'll see in Texas.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 4:21 pm
Yorkshire Lass in ATX

BritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really niceBritKat is just really nice

I moved from the UK to Austin, TX 11 years ago and before that had been visiting since 1995 - I would not live anywhere else in Texas. Austin is the complete opposite of the rest of Texas.... :-)

The in-laws live in Houston - good enough reason right there to stay in Austin.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 6:14 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
As for the people in the thread who live in Texas, and claim to love it here, please ignore them as they are obviously clinically insane pathological liars who have escaped from one of the many insane asylums that we have in Texas, and where most of our population actually lives and posts to the internet from.
They're coming to take me away ha-haa
Old Feb 8th 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

lol
Old Feb 8th 2011, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

saraheo21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Leslie66, you have me crying with laughter. "Also included in the road grit will be fine powder mix of liberals (that took a wrong and deadly turn at Sante Fe) and unicorn eyelashes, because we hate and kill everything that is beautiful here in Texas." Do you live in Texas? You sound a lot more intelligent/funny than any I know here.

If you are not a conservative Christian, then Dallas may not be the place for you. I am from the US but have lived in Dallas off and on for thirteen years. I've met some great people but find they are either from somewhere else or have lived somewhere else and are trying to get out. Being politically left leaning and working in the financial industry here has been a beating. Life in the Big D is like living in a bubble. It's very isolated culturally and geographically, though you can get just about anywhere directly from DFW airport. If you move to Texas, Austin is the place I would suggest. Dallas is flat, hot, conservative, architecturally uninteresting (with a few exceptions), sprawling, has few trees, often wears religion on its sleeve, thinks of itself as cosmopolitan but it's not really, and does not have an "outdoorsy" lifestyle in any way (even I miss this, and I'm far from outdoorsy). There is a lot of fake tanning, plastic surgery, fake nails, flashy cars, etc. It's a dressy place - but I live in the middle of "uptown" which is fairly young and flashy (close to my office-that's another thing, many people commute outrageous distances). Non-working activities are primarily going to restaurants/bars, shopping (which I'd say is the best in the US) and attending church. Not many cultural activities around but there are a few things if you really look. We do have a few nice museums, opera house and symphony hall. Here's an anecdote: I was getting a manicure the other day and two women, early twenties, were talking about "living life with the Lord" and were discussing how much they wanted to get married soon. If that sounds like a reasonable attitude, then you'll probably fit in here. Just be aware before you make the move.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

saraheo21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, make that "I'm from the US AND have lived in Dallas off and on..." I make it sound like a different country, and sometimes I think it is!
Old Feb 8th 2011, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=saraheo21;9162619]Leslie66, you have me crying with laughter. "Also included in the road grit will be fine powder mix of liberals (that took a wrong and deadly turn at Sante Fe) and unicorn eyelashes, because we hate and kill everything that is beautiful here in Texas." Do you live in Texas? You sound a lot more intelligent/funny than any I know here.

If you are not a conservative Christian, then Dallas may not be the place for you. I am from the US but have lived in Dallas off and on for thirteen years. I've met some great people but find they are either from somewhere else or have lived somewhere else and are trying to get out. Being politically left leaning and working in the financial industry here has been a beating. Life in the Big D is like living in a bubble. It's very isolated culturally and geographically, though you can get just about anywhere directly from DFW airport. If you move to Texas, Austin is the place I would suggest. Dallas is flat, hot, conservative, architecturally uninteresting (with a few exceptions),
sprawling, has few trees, often wears religion on its sleeve, thinks of itself as cosmopolitan but it's not really, and does not have an "outdoorsy" lifestyle in any way (even I miss this, and I'm far from outdoorsy). There is a lot of fake tanning, plastic surgery, fake nails, flashy cars, etc. It's a dressy place - but I live in the middle of "uptown" which is fairly young and flashy (close to my office-that's another thing, many people commute outrageous distances). Non-working activities are primarily going to restaurants/bars, shopping (which I'd say is the best in the US) and attending church. Not many cultural activities around but there are a few things if you really look. We do have a few nice museums, opera house and symphony hall. Here's an anecdote: I was
getting a manicure the other day and two women, early twenties, were talking about "living life with the Lord" and were discussing how much they wanted to get married soon. If that sounds like a reasonable attitude, then you'll probably fit in here. Just be aware before you make the move.[/QUOTE

Isn't it amazing how differently people see things?
Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:13 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saraheo21
Leslie66, you have me crying with laughter. "Also included in the road grit will be fine powder mix of liberals (that took a wrong and deadly turn at Sante Fe) and unicorn eyelashes, because we hate and kill everything that is beautiful here in Texas." Do you live in Texas? You sound a lot more intelligent/funny than any I know here.

If you are not a conservative Christian, then Dallas may not be the place for you. I am from the US but have lived in Dallas off and on for thirteen years. I've met some great people but find they are either from somewhere else or have lived somewhere else and are trying to get out. Being politically left leaning and working in the financial industry here has been a beating. Life in the Big D is like living in a bubble. It's very isolated culturally and geographically, though you can get just about anywhere directly from DFW airport. If you move to Texas, Austin is the place I would suggest. Dallas is flat, hot, conservative, architecturally uninteresting (with a few exceptions), sprawling, has few trees, often wears religion on its sleeve, thinks of itself as cosmopolitan but it's not really, and does not have an "outdoorsy" lifestyle in any way (even I miss this, and I'm far from outdoorsy). There is a lot of fake tanning, plastic surgery, fake nails, flashy cars, etc. It's a dressy place - but I live in the middle of "uptown" which is fairly young and flashy (close to my office-that's another thing, many people commute outrageous distances). Non-working activities are primarily going to restaurants/bars, shopping (which I'd say is the best in the US) and attending church. Not many cultural activities around but there are a few things if you really look. We do have a few nice museums, opera house and symphony hall. Here's an anecdote: I was getting a manicure the other day and two women, early twenties, were talking about "living life with the Lord" and were discussing how much they wanted to get married soon. If that sounds like a reasonable attitude, then you'll probably fit in here. Just be aware before you make the move.
Yes, I live in Texas. A lot of the stereotypes you describe are very true but I don't let them define me or my experience. I think if you want to have interesting interactions with people you have to actually be willing to create the dynamics yourself by looking for the weird and fun aspects that are hidden in all situations. I enjoy making fun of religious kooks and retarded politicians so Texas gives me plenty of material with which to work. I would hate to live somewhere that didn't keep me on my toes. I also think you will find what you seek and I find lots of nice homegrown folks as well as a wide diversity of people from all over the world who share a similar point of view as mine. I also find some assholes but I'm an asshole myself (of a different kind) so that sort of neutralizes the experience.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:52 pm
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light

I moved to Dallas on Nov 09....I don't hate it and I don't love it....it's just fine for now. Hopefully once I have my GC I will have the option of moving somewhere else.

The people are friendly, that is until they get in their cars- I've never seen so many stupid, rude drivers!!! And the nightlife IMO is a bit dull, there's no shortage of places to go, but every time I go out to a bar or a club I keep waiting for something exciting to happen...and it never does lol, also I have found that people don't tend to stray out of their social groups when they are out either which is a bit different from Glasgow (but maybe we just drink more back home?!)
The pace of life here seems much slower too, no one is ever really in much of a rush, particularly in shops, which can take a bit of getting used to.

Also as someone who doesn't eat much meat, it can be tough to find food in a restaurant that doesn't contain meat (well actually its virtually impossible).

That aside, I like it so far and will probably stay here a while.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I loved Portland, lived there for two years. But like any state, once you get too far out of the city, the people are just as weird and rednecky as anything you'll see in Texas.
Amen to that!
Old Feb 8th 2011, 11:05 pm
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road

True story - Texas has it's own power grid.

USA is split into 3 - West Coast, East Coast and Texas.

Won't be long before Perry throws up a border and Texas becomes the United State of Texas with Perry as the King.

Alternatively, Texas will stay part of the USA and continue to ignore everyone.