Reload this Page >

Moved back to UK and filing 2020 US Tax Return

Moved back to UK and filing 2020 US Tax Return

Old Apr 2nd 2021, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Jay0121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moved back to UK and filing 2020 US Tax Return

Hi all,

I am filing my taxes for 2020 and have a question. I moved back to the UK permanently in July 2020 and I’m a little confused with filing for taxes and resident status.

I only lived and worked in NY in 2020 and on TurboTax it asks if you are full year resident or part-time. I felt this is straight forward as I only lived half of the year in NY and moved back in July, this would make me a part-time resident. However doing that cuts the state return refund by half, is this correct? Is it assuming I moved to another state in US after July?

First time I’m filing for taxes after moving to another country permanently and just find it a little confusing, would appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks
Jas
Old Apr 4th 2021, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved back to UK and filing 2020 US Tax Return

What was your US visa status?
Old Apr 4th 2021, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cook_County
What was your US visa status?
It was L1B visa that’s now expired after I left my previous company in July 2020 and returned to UK
Old Apr 4th 2021, 6:04 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jay0121
Hi all,

I am filing my taxes for 2020 and have a question. I moved back to the UK permanently in July 2020 and I’m a little confused with filing for taxes and resident status.

I only lived and worked in NY in 2020 and on TurboTax it asks if you are full year resident or part-time. I felt this is straight forward as I only lived half of the year in NY and moved back in July, this would make me a part-time resident. However doing that cuts the state return refund by half, is this correct? Is it assuming I moved to another state in US after July?

First time I’m filing for taxes after moving to another country permanently and just find it a little confusing, would appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks
Jas
It sounds like it’s prorating your allowance and deductibles etc, see page 2, it would likely have been withheld assuming you would be a full year resident:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_f...t/it360_1i.pdf

so it could mean you are entitled to less of a refund.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tht
It sounds like it’s prorating your allowance and deductibles etc, see page 2, it would likely have been withheld assuming you would be a full year resident:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_f...t/it360_1i.pdf

so it could mean you are entitled to less of a refund.
Thanks I’ll read into that.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 4:16 pm
Aoi
Forum Regular

Aoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jay0121
Hi all,

taxact.com supports Dual Status tax returns.