Reload this Page >

On the move to the USA.

On the move to the USA.

Old May 15th 2014, 12:32 am
Just Joined

petegoatboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On the move to the USA.

Hi I'm new here, so be gentle.
My Wife and Daughter are both US citizens. I have just received my spouse Visa and have until the 3rd of Aug enter the USA.
Fortunately my Wife has family in L.A. so we will be staying with them until we get on our feet, hopefully not to long though.
I have a million questions of what to expect when I land in the US, so here goes.

What documents if any do they take off you when you go through Border control?
Does you Visa get updated to show a different expiration date or do they just stamp it?
How long does it take to receive your Green card? I have already paid the fee and filled out the form as requested on the letter I received with my Visa.
Social security number, I already applied for this, but just read a post about 95% of the applications are ignored when applied for with the D-260. Can I apply for jobs with out this and a Green card?

If anyone know of any telecommunications engineering/commissioning jobs available in the Los Angeles/Orange county area that would be very helpful.

We are pretty much starting from scratch because my Wife has been in the UK for the past 10 years.
So we will need to open bank accounts, buy/lease a vehicle, look at renting a house. Do I have to wait 2 years to build up credit before I can get on the housing market? Currently selling up in the UK so will have a deposit.

All pointers and help will be greatly received, or if you can point me in the direction of a post that already answer these questions that would be cool.

Many thanks,

Pete
Old May 15th 2014, 3:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On the move to the USA.

Your Green Card should arrive anywhere between a few weeks and a few months after arrival.

HOWEVER, your Immigrant Visa, when stamped on admission to the United States, acts as your temporary green card, valid for 1 year.

Social Security Number. Wait 10 days or so, then go to a Social Security office to apply for one. If they have already issued you one, they should be able to give it to you.

What documentation do you need to work? Understand the I-9 form and supporting documents required. http://www.uscis.gov/i-9

You should get a California drivers license (or state ID card) as soon as possible.

Out of interest, has your wife become a British citizen? If not, has she considered applying for naturalisation before she leaves?
Old May 15th 2014, 3:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petegoatboy
All pointers and help will be greatly received, or if you can point me in the direction of a post that already answer these questions that would be cool.
Most of them you can just look down a bit and find the answers, either here or in the immigration section. The wiki, up top will also have a lot of the answers as well.

Anyway, welcome to BE and good luck with the move.
Old May 15th 2014, 12:37 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

What documents if any do they take off you when you go through Border control?

The large packet you receive with your visa.

Does you Visa get updated to show a different expiration date or do they just stamp it?

You receive an entry stamp next to the visa.

How long does it take to receive your Green card? I have already paid the fee and filled out the form as requested on the letter I received with my Visa.

As long as it takes, a few weeks to months is typical.

Social security number, I already applied for this, but just read a post about 95% of the applications are ignored when applied for with the D-260. Can I apply for jobs with out this and a Green card?

Yes you can. Most people go to the SSA Office and apply in person after a few weeks, they issue a number overnight and you go back the next day and get it.
Old May 15th 2014, 12:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Legally all you need to start work in the US is your I-551 visa stamp. There is nothing from an immigration perspective to stop you from reporting for work the moment you clear immigration at the airport.

You certainly do NOT need your green card, your visa stamp is sufficient, your lack of an SSN might spook some employers but larger employers and/ or ones with a competent HR department should be well aware of that. You should be prepared to show that you have applied for one.

I started with my first employer just a few days (5 IIRC) after arriving in the US, and it was about ten days before I got my SSN and six weeks before my green card arrived. My employer at that time was large and used to employing immigrants.
Old May 15th 2014, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for the answers

Originally Posted by JAJ
Out of interest, has your wife become a British citizen? If not, has she considered applying for naturalisation before she leaves?
Is there any benefit to my wife applying for naturalisation?
Old May 15th 2014, 3:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

... Is there any benefit to my wife applying for naturalisation?
It will enable her to come and go as she pleases, not only to/from the UK, but also from any country in the European Onion.

BTW There is no equivalent "universal tax return requirement" for HMRC as there is for the IRS on US citizens. Once you've been gone past the end of a tax year, HMRC will forget about you unless you still have income or gains accrued in the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 15th 2014 at 3:56 pm.
Old May 15th 2014, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
You should get a California drivers license (or state ID card) as soon as possible.
With the driving license do I need to take a test? Or can I just apply, I know that probably sound like a stupid question. I would have thought that a test is needed, I just want to make sure.
I know obviously I can rent a car and drive it on my UK license, How long can I do that for?
Thank God for forums. I had so many questions on the day of my interview at the embassy, but my brain went to mush.
Sorry to just bombard you with random questions.
Old May 15th 2014, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

With the driving license do I need to take a test? Or can I just apply, I know that probably sound like a stupid question. I would have thought that a test is needed, I just want to make sure.
I know obviously I can rent a car and drive it on my UK license, How long can I do that for?
Thank God for forums. I had so many questions on the day of my interview at the embassy, but my brain went to mush.
Sorry to just bombard you with random questions.
The embassy would not be the place to ask such questions.

You are supposed to get a California driver's license with 10 days of becoming resident, that is pretty much impossible but you should aim not to leave it too long. You take a multiple choice theory test, if you pass that you book a behind-the-wheel test.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/home/dmv.htm?lang=en
Old May 15th 2014, 5:56 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
...your lack of an SSN might spook some employers but larger employers and/ or ones with a competent HR department should be well aware of that.

If the employer is a participant in E-Verify, and uses this as part of their hiring process, your lack of a Social Security Number may prevent them from hiring you.
Old May 15th 2014, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by thinbrit
..... If the employer is a participant in E-Verify, and uses this as part of their hiring process, your lack of a Social Security Number may prevent them from hiring you.
The I-551 visa stamp should trump that, and a competent HR department should know as much. Unfortunately that doesn't mean they do (know as much).
Old May 15th 2014, 6:15 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The I-551 visa stamp should trump that, and a competent HR department should know as much. Unfortunately that doesn't mean they do (know as much).
It kinda depends.

E-Verify is mandatory for employers with Federal contracts or subcontracts that contain the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) E-Verify clause.

Although it doesn't apply to the OP, most employers in Arizona and Mississippi are also required to use E-Verify

(California law prohibits state municipalities from passing mandatory E-Verify ordinances).
Old May 15th 2014, 7:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It will enable her to come and go as she pleases, not only to/from the UK, but also from any country in the European Onion.
It does feel like that at times
Old May 16th 2014, 1:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any benefit to my wife applying for naturalisation?
Have you given any consideration to what happens to her U.K. Indefinite Leave to Remain once she leaves the country?
And are you aware of how difficult it is to gain a new spouse visa. A lot more difficult than it likely was for her first time around.