Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Move to USA?

Wikiposts

Move to USA?

Old Feb 16th 2013, 11:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to USA?

Originally Posted by LinkTen
To get a job, you must find someone willing to sponsor you for an immigrant visa, such as the H-1B.
Just a correction. H1B is a non-immigrant visa.

Rene
Old Feb 16th 2013, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just a correction. H1B is a non-immigrant visa.

Rene

Oops, thanks for spotting that.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 11:18 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SirSacha
Yes I am a British citizen but I don't hold a British passport. Don't think you can legally hold three passports anyway so they might ask that I revoke Italian/Iranian citizenship.
You can hold 3 passports.

Rene
Old Feb 16th 2013, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice

Wow thread got hijacked by weird cheating girlfriend story. Yes women cheat - it is common practise lol.

Yes I am a British citizen but I don't hold a British passport. Don't think you can legally hold three passports anyway so they might ask that I revoke Italian/Iranian citizenship.

As for Canada - I'm pretty sure a UK resident/European national can get a working visa to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc. I just wanted to move to California because I feel I am destined to go there.

Alright well looks like I should focus on opening a business. Anyone fancy going 50/50 on an Italian pizzeria takeaway? £25,000 needed. Any location. Wood fired pizzas and pastas. Expected turnover £6-£10,000 a week, 35% food margin. I have the credentials more info on request.

Peace
I know little about businesses, but if you're thinking of opening a pizza restaurant in the UK, you'll be up against some big names such as Pizza Hut, Dominos and Pappa Johns. With the economy the way it is, surely it is a huge risk? Also, is £50k enough? If you was referring to opening one in the US, £25k each would be nowhere near enough.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 11:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LinkTen
I know little about businesses, but if you're thinking of opening a pizza restaurant in the UK, you'll be up against some big names such as Pizza Hut, Dominos and Pappa Johns. With the economy the way it is, surely it is a huge risk? Also, is £50k enough? If you was referring to opening one in the US, £25k each would be nowhere near enough.
Yeah, there's millions of indie pizza places over here too and it's hard to carve out a niche and compete that a lot just go under, even if they are really good.

The ones locally that seem to survive seem to cater to their heritage/expat community such as the Greeks, Brazilians and Italians and the pizza is just a side thing for everyone else.

They're able to survive because they're got families working in the business and already know the local community that supports them.

All of which the OP won't have and a take out joint just doesn't need to employ 10+ people and the eat in places will have even tighter margins.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I hold 3 citizenships and 3 valid passports. Not only does the US not have the authority to force you to renounce any prior citizenships, it is the other country - not the US - that decides who is or isn't a citizen of their country. US jurisdiction on citizenship stops at the US border.

Ian
Old Feb 16th 2013, 1:59 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

As for Canada - I'm pretty sure a UK resident/European national can get a working visa to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc.
Yes, you can get a working holiday visa for Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc. However in order to move permanently to any of those countries you have to qualify. Not everyone does.

For Australia look at www.immi.gov.au
Canada www.cic.gc.ca
New Zealand www.immigration.govt.nz
Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kilty
If you have an Iranian passport, surely you must also have relatives (snip) in Beverly Hills who can help you out?
This.

Seriously. You need to think outside the box, but I think that you'll find opportunities in Tehrangeles. Use the social/business contacts of your parents and grandparents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehrangeles
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As for Canada - I'm pretty sure a UK resident/European national can get a working visa to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc.
Yep, Working Holiday Visa gives you a yr in Canada. You've probably missed out on this years program though, unless you get cracking (i.e. order your police check etc).

The 2013 program opened the other day and the first 1000 visas went within a couple of hours. Another 2000 are being released next week but also expected to go immediately, and then the final batch the week after that.

So you may have to wait until the 2014 program opens.

Still much easier and quicker than moving to the US though.

HTH.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:29 am
Just Joined

SirSacha is an unknown quantity at this point

Working on the family contacts though my father is a bit possessive with these contacts and doesn't really want me to succeed so I can't really ask him for help - he kinda wants me to work for him and wouldn't want me to go to Cali. without him as he knows I'd quickly get set up there.

Anyway a family friend owns shopping malls in LA and I lived with his son for some time in the UK at my dad's restaurant but he's not on FaceBook for some reason. Trying to track him down. They're seriously rich Iranian Jews so if I find him I'm sure he can help me out.

As for the business. Yes £50,000 is more than enough - which would include all kitchen equipment, takeaway boxes/packaging, advertisement, required certificates, tiling, interior decor/design and advertising. I can run the place singlehandedly to start with and I would hire a couple of delivery drivers and a pretty cashier when the time comes.

Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Papa Jons and even Pizza Express are no match for me. They sell frozen dough (all of them) and shitty ingredients. I'm talking about real, wood fired, stone based, authentic pizzas that you can only get in a few places in the world hand made from flour, water and fresh yeast daily - at cheaper prices. And I can do it with style, ya' know throwing it in the air and all that. I'm quicker than the world's fastest pizza maker (I've watched him on YouTube) I'm faster than him I can make a pizza quicker.

Don't forget that I will also offer real Italian starters as well as lasagnes, baked pastas, calzones and traditional chicken dishes like Piazzialoa, Crema, etc so not only will I be offering better pizzas, but a whole range of foods the competitors don't offer. Also bare in mind most takeaways that sell pizzas aren't Dominoes, Pizza Hut or Papa Jons, they're the shitty ones that sell dona kabab and frozen pizza. Average takeaways turn over 2000-3000 a week and in my area there at at least 15 so I would be breaking into a market with over £40,000 a week potential.

Anyway let me know if someone is interested. 49/51 to me and I will pay back my £25,000 share with my half of the profits.

Willing to move to your area.

God bless

Last edited by SirSacha; Feb 17th 2013 at 2:31 am.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As for the business. Yes £50,000 is more than enough - which would include all kitchen equipment, takeaway boxes/packaging, advertisement, required certificates, tiling, interior decor/design and advertising. I can run the place singlehandedly to start with and I would hire a couple of delivery drivers and a pretty cashier when the time comes.

Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Papa Jons and even Pizza Express are no match for me. They sell frozen dough (all of them) and shitty ingredients. I'm talking about real, wood fired, stone based, authentic pizzas that you can only get in a few places in the world hand made from flour, water and fresh yeast daily - at cheaper prices. And I can do it with style, ya' know throwing it in the air and all that. I'm quicker than the world's fastest pizza maker (I've watched him on YouTube) I'm faster than him I can make a pizza quicker.
Yes, but you're failing to see that people don't give a shit. They want big, cheap and fast, especially when they already have coupons for free.

Being a small indie like you propose wont' be enough for you to set up a US venture and transfer yourself. The start up capital is also much to small for an investment visa. It might be enough for you to set up, but that doesn't matter, it won't get a visa and the venture won't be big enough.

The biggest cost in business isn't the ingredients, they're peanuts, it's the liability insurance and medical insurance and if you want booze, the liquor license though that probably depends on location, Boston if you can get a ticket is $250K which compared to some cities is either pretty cheap, or pretty expensive.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:54 am
Just Joined

SirSacha is an unknown quantity at this point

People do give a shit. People know more than you think. You are arrogant if you really think the 'masses' don't want quality. They do. They just can't afford it. That's where I step in. Quality, but cheaper than Dominos and Pizza Hut. Those places are EXPENSIVE. Yeah I can't compete with the corner chippy on price, but I still have a big enough market in any UK town or city. Besides this is supposed to be a quality place, not a greasy, corner chippy so the RIGHT price is important - cheaper might actually be counterproductive in my case.

It would be a place you would WANT to collect rather than get delivered because your children insist they want to go see the pizzas made for them and thrown in the air. In winter you'd be warmed by the real wood logs burning in the oven and the smell of fermenting yeast. And in the summer I would make real Italian ice cream daily.

In any case I'm not asking for investment from the US. I meant from people in the UK. Obviously if someone in the US is interested that's fantastic although it would be more money as I would have to relocate there and start up costs could be more (I don't know). But in the UK, yes, £50,000.

Peace

Last edited by SirSacha; Feb 17th 2013 at 3:01 am.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

People do give a shit. People know more than you think. You are arrogant if you really think the 'masses' don't want quality. They do. They just can't afford it. That's where I step in. Quality, but cheaper than Dominos and Pizza Hut. Those places are EXPENSIVE. Yeah I can't compete with the corner chippy on price, but I still have a big enough market in any UK town or city. Besides this is supposed to be a quality place, not a greasy, corner chippy so the RIGHT price is important - cheaper might actually be counterproductive in my case.

It would be a place you would WANT to collect rather than get delivered because your children insist they want to go see the pizzas made for them and thrown in the air. In winter you'd be warmed by the real wood logs burning in the oven and the smell of fermenting yeast. And in the summer I would make real Italian ice cream daily.

In any case I'm not asking for investment from the US. I meant from people in the UK. Obviously if someone in the US is interested that's fantastic although it would be more money as I would have to relocate there and start up costs could be more (I don't know). But in the UK, yes, £50,000.

Peace
No. People don't give a shit. Some do, but the masses don't, that is why top quality family restaurants fail on a daily basis.

Anyway, you were asking about moving to the US and given ideas of building up in the UK and then doing the same in the US to transfer (L1 -good visa) or investment visa (E2 -not good visa). With that in mind, you've been told that the sums involved just aren't there, nor the scale of the UK venture.

Now if you're just talking about the UK venture as a sole venture, go find a business forum or go to a bank and ask for a small business loan.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:34 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I'm talking about real, wood fired, stone based, authentic pizzas that you can only get in a few places in the world hand made from flour, water and fresh yeast daily - at cheaper prices.
I don't know if this is a novelty in the UK, but places like this are a dime a dozen in the US. Back to the drawing board.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I don't know if this is a novelty in the UK, but places like this are a dime a dozen in the US. Back to the drawing board.
Indeed. You can find them even in backwater nowheres of Maine...never mind a tourist trap or big city :/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.