Move to USA

Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

IkramHussain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to USA

Hello there, I have recently just joined and wondering if it is possible for me to move to the USA I have just left university with a degree in engineering I am 24 years old and would like some advice on how the process would work thanks
Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to USA

Originally Posted by IkramHussain
Hello there, I have recently just joined and wondering if it is possible for me to move to the USA I have just left university with a degree in engineering I am 24 years old and would like some advice on how the process would work thanks
Welcome to BE. Read this link and see which visa might apply to you:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

If you want to move based on a work visa, you will need to find a US employer to hire you and sponsor an H1B visa. The employer can apply on April 1, 2013, for a start date of October 2013. The quota for 2012 is filled already.

You could come to the USA and do a higher degree, that would be the F-1 visa.

You could get a job with an engineering company which has offices in the USA, and then after some time with the company, put in for a transfer to the USA. That would be an L-1 visa.

If you find some possibilities, come on back and we can help you sort through it.

Rene
Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Start here. Read it all, including the links. Then read this... it's similar, but some people find it easier to digest. If you can answer "yes" to any of the questions, then you might have a chance at a visa for the US. Otherwise, you won't be coming to the US as anything other than a visitor.

Ian
Old Aug 5th 2012, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Hello thank you all for the replies I have read the links you have provided an like I said I have a degree in engineering, I currently live in London and got a job interview with apple next week. However I am wondering how much would it be to study in the US for a masters degree? Also can I be classed as a skilled worker with a bachelors degree in engineering or not?

Ikram
Old Aug 5th 2012, 9:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

However I am wondering how much would it be to study in the US for a masters degree?
I am sure it would depend on which university you go to. You'll have to research the universities you want to attend, and see what their tuitions are.

Also can I be classed as a skilled worker with a bachelors degree in engineering or not?
I don't think the USA has a "skilled worker" visa, unless it's that temp seasonal worker one....do you mind working in a cotton field or picking grapes or harvesting tomatoes? Can you ski?

Rene
Old Aug 5th 2012, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Well thanks for that I've just had a quick look and found that a masters degree in the US is the lowest $35.000 unless you have a scholarship, I'm just wondering would it be easier to work for a company that has offices in the US because I am quite broke at the moment however would I qualify for a HB-1 visa?

Ikram
Old Aug 5th 2012, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... would it be easier to work for a company that has offices in the US...
Yes - probably much easier than any other method (except perhaps marrying a US citizen).

... would I qualify for a HB-1 visa?
Yes, but that's only 1/3 of the story. The job itself must also require a Bachelor's degree... and, the employer would need to be sufficiently impressed with your qualifications to want to shell out many $1000s to sponsor you for the visa. Consider that you'd be up against hundreds (if not thousands) of USC and PR engineers who are already out of work, and can start work tomorrow if asked... and no visa sponsorship required.

I'm not trying to put you off your dream, but this is the current reality in the US. It's certainly not impossible... but it will be a serious uphill climb.

Ian
Old Aug 5th 2012, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes - probably much easier than any other method (except perhaps marrying a US citizen).

Yes, but that's only 1/3 of the story. The job itself must also require a Bachelor's degree... and, the employer would need to be sufficiently impressed with your qualifications to want to shell out many $1000s to sponsor you for the visa. Consider that you'd be up against hundreds (if not thousands) of USC and PR engineers who are already out of work, and can start work tomorrow if asked... and no visa sponsorship required.

I'm not trying to put you off your dream, but this is the current reality in the US. It's certainly not impossible... but it will be a serious uphill climb.

Ian
Well thank you very much for the information it has been quite helpful, I have a job interview next week at apple so I hope it goes all well, but once again thanks for advice you saved me contacting a lawyer and spending money

Ikram
Old Aug 7th 2012, 1:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you've just graduated, you could look to doing a J1 internship.

With no experience, you're realistically got zero chance of a H1B and same again for a company transfer and the L1 route, but that's not to say you won't be able to get there after a few years experience.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob

With no experience, you're realistically got zero chance of a H1B and same again for a company transfer and the L1 route, but that's not to say you won't be able to get there after a few years experience.
Can you please explain to me about how I would come about getting a internship?

Ikram
Old Aug 7th 2012, 3:05 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Why does he have "zero chance of a H1B"?

If he's even being looked at by Apple for an interview then he must be interesting to them. If they choose to sponsor him for an H1B then his recent graduation will have no impact on him getting an H1B. It's the sponsorship that counts, after all.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 3:29 am

Can you please explain to me about how I would come about getting a internship?

Ikram
Research J-1 visa. Use Google.

Rene
Old Aug 7th 2012, 3:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Why does he have "zero chance of a H1B"?

If he's even being looked at by Apple for an interview then he must be interesting to them. If they choose to sponsor him for an H1B then his recent graduation will have no impact on him getting an H1B. It's the sponsorship that counts, after all.
A job for Apple in the UK is one thing, but a job that requires sponsorship? Like I said, without any experience, realistically the chances are nil.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
A job for Apple in the UK is one thing, but a job that requires sponsorship? Like I said, without any experience, realistically the chances are nil.
Well I knew it would be hard for me to move to the US but if my interview with apple is a success, after a few years working with them would I be able to ask them to move me to the US or not?

Ikram
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:37 pm

Well I knew it would be hard for me to move to the US but if my interview with apple is a success, after a few years working with them would I be able to ask them to move me to the US or not?

Ikram
Yes. You can always ask.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.