Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Move to USA?

Move to USA?

Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to USA?

Originally Posted by UK Engineer
Basically, I do not want to be better off if I make the move,
No, that would be terrible. An abomination, in fact.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:38 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the others. You definitely want to make sure your earnings go up in order to try to offset some of the (well documented) downside to living over here.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

UK Engineer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Karen68
We have done it a few times; UK to US when they were 4 and 6, US to UK at 7 and 9 and back to the US at 9 and 11. We have no intention of moving them now as we've messed them around enough, they will be staying here to graduate from High School.

It all depends in the first place how open your kids are to the idea. If they don't want to move, you could find them the best school in the world and they may still be unhappy and not make friends. We have always tried to show the positive side of the moves and how it will enable all of us to get a different perspective on things, e.g. Making the most of travelling, understanding the world from a different perspective. Mine can also navigate an airport really well!

I feel that the most important thing is getting a handle on the education system. Once you get to the equivalent of secondary school things are different. The first three years for us are in Middle school, and then there are 4 years of High School. The way subjects are studied in High school is very different to the UK, and there is no GCSE equivalent, only the final diploma at 18. In my opinion, you need to either have them back in the UK to start GCSEs or let them go fully through High School. You could, if really necessary, take them back at 16, but they would really have no option other than taking the IB, as they would have no GCSEs on which to base A level subjects.

Quite a few US schools now offer the IB also, and you can check online what qualifications British universities are looking for from American students. This brings me to paying for college. This is really important. If you are not in the UK for the 3 years prior to starting university there, you will generally not qualify for home fees, even if you are a British citizen. If you are not a US citizen or Green Card holder, more than likely you will not qualify for in state tuition at a US university. It is quite possible for you to be in the position where you do not qualify for the usual residents' fees in either country, and the cost of overseas/out of state tution is huge. (have a look at a US and UK uni online to see what they charge).

So, really I think you need to have a fairly long term view on your childrens' situation right from the start, as you have a 10 year old already. I have come across people with older kids and the residency requirements just haven't dawned upon them. Bear in mind that Green Cards are not quick to come by, and each state has its own requirements - here I believe residency must be established by the time they are 17 for in state fees. You may wish, therefore to be back in the UK by a certain time, or, if you like the UK, try to get Green Cards in plenty of time.

Hope this helps!
Thanks to all for this.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

RayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud of

I moved to Missouri about a month ago and live about 25 miles east of Kansas City. Remember it's the mid-west so in many people's minds "real" America, very different from New York or some of the other areas that UK tourists visit. Having said that I love it here. There are some great schools and property is reasonable compared to the UK, just watch the property taxes, they can vary enormously! Be careful about more rural homes, you can sometimes struggle to get cable/internet. Schools around Independence/Blue Springs have a great reputation and there are lots of facilities around there (entertainment, shopping Mall etc).
If you want more info on the area let me know, feel free to PM me. My partner has lived here all her life so nows the good places and the ones to avoid. Stay away from Kansas City, Kansas and areas like Raytown.
Good luck!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

UK Engineer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Karen68
We have done it a few times; UK to US when they were 4 and 6, US to UK at 7 and 9 and back to the US at 9 and 11. We have no intention of moving them now as we've messed them around enough, they will be staying here to graduate from High School.

It all depends in the first place how open your kids are to the idea. If they don't want to move, you could find them the best school in the world and they may still be unhappy and not make friends. We have always tried to show the positive side of the moves and how it will enable all of us to get a different perspective on things, e.g. Making the most of travelling, understanding the world from a different perspective. Mine can also navigate an airport really well!

I feel that the most important thing is getting a handle on the education system. Once you get to the equivalent of secondary school things are different. The first three years for us are in Middle school, and then there are 4 years of High School. The way subjects are studied in High school is very different to the UK, and there is no GCSE equivalent, only the final diploma at 18. In my opinion, you need to either have them back in the UK to start GCSEs or let them go fully through High School. You could, if really necessary, take them back at 16, but they would really have no option other than taking the IB, as they would have no GCSEs on which to base A level subjects.

Quite a few US schools now offer the IB also, and you can check online what qualifications British universities are looking for from American students. This brings me to paying for college. This is really important. If you are not in the UK for the 3 years prior to starting university there, you will generally not qualify for home fees, even if you are a British citizen. If you are not a US citizen or Green Card holder, more than likely you will not qualify for in state tuition at a US university. It is quite possible for you to be in the position where you do not qualify for the usual residents' fees in either country, and the cost of overseas/out of state tution is huge. (have a look at a US and UK uni online to see what they charge).

So, really I think you need to have a fairly long term view on your childrens' situation right from the start, as you have a 10 year old already. I have come across people with older kids and the residency requirements just haven't dawned upon them. Bear in mind that Green Cards are not quick to come by, and each state has its own requirements - here I believe residency must be established by the time they are 17 for in state fees. You may wish, therefore to be back in the UK by a certain time, or, if you like the UK, try to get Green Cards in plenty of time.

Hope this helps!
One more question. Can my wife work in the USA? or is that linked to Visa application.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK Engineer
One more question. Can my wife work in the USA? or is that linked to Visa application.
It depends on the visa. Another reason you need to get the visa sorted before going any further.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 10:17 am
Banned

ExPatPockets is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Move to USA?

do you need any assistance in shipping companied as i have been researching for the last couple of weeks and have some good contacts? can save you some time...
Old Oct 28th 2011, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Yorkshire2GA is an unknown quantity at this point

May be in a similar boat to UK Engineer shortly.

Is there's a broad FAQ "Dummies Guide to UK to US Migration" anyone can point me to so I don't need to ask all the embarrassing newbie questions?

Thanks Muchly.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:13 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExPatPockets
do you need any assistance in shipping companied as i have been researching for the last couple of weeks and have some good contacts? can save you some time...
To be fair though you were moving your stuff from Ireland to New Zealand, or was it Australia? (Same difference). Shipping to somewhere much closer (the States) may open up more options for OP that weren't available to you.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:37 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The WIKI at the top of this page will have a section about USA that will answer a large number of basic questions, from visas to where to watch rugby.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 3:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkshire2GA
May be in a similar boat to UK Engineer shortly.

Is there's a broad FAQ "Dummies Guide to UK to US Migration" anyone can point me to so I don't need to ask all the embarrassing newbie questions?

Thanks Muchly.
The wiki up top.

Also, in the immigration forum, there's a good pinned thread "Read Me..." it links out a lot of the immigration side of info from the wiki and other sources.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by penguinsix
The WIKI at the top of this page will have a section about USA that will answer a large number of basic questions, from visas to where to watch rugby.
Do I need a visa to watch rugby then ?? What type of visa, does it depend on weather I watch on HDTV or regular ? Can the missus watch on my visa or does she need to get her own ??

Christ I've been watching rugby for years without a visa, I'll probably get kicked out the country and not allowed to watch TV for the next 10 years at least .
Old Oct 28th 2011, 5:01 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Do I need a visa to watch rugby then ?? What type of visa, does it depend on weather I watch on HDTV or regular ? Can the missus watch on my visa or does she need to get her own ??

Christ I've been watching rugby for years without a visa, I'll probably get kicked out the country and not allowed to watch TV for the next 10 years at least .
Which, let's face it, would be no great loss if you support England.

Oh, I forgot, you all support Wales now. Or was that just last week?
Old Oct 28th 2011, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
But really the MAIN concern at this point is getting the visa. If you don't qualify for the visa, no sense in doing all the research.
This.

UK Engineer - forget about everything else. Don't worry about or ask questions about anything else at this point.

If you have no visa, you have no move. End of. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to research everything else while you wait months for the visa to come through, should you be lucky enough to be approved for one.