British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Move from US to Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/move-us-canada-471874/)

Ciara Aug 6th 2007 5:49 am

Move from US to Canada

Hi There. Has any Brit moved from the US to Canada. We live in San Francisco and are considering a move to either Alberta or BC. We have some family connections which are a bonus. We're wondering about cultural differences, cost of living, standard of living, lifestyle changes, climate challenges etc. It's hard to beat SF, but financialy it's draining and with 3 kids we need to move somewhere. I'm a Brit married to an American - never stopped missing the Uk, but we cannot really afford to move there, so we're thinking Canada or a cheaper US state. Any views on the above ?
Thanks,
Ciara

JAJ Aug 6th 2007 11:41 am

Re: Move from US to Canada

Originally Posted by Ciara (Post 5153117)
Hi There. Has any Brit moved from the US to Canada. We live in San Francisco and are considering a move to either Alberta or BC. We have some family connections which are a bonus. We're wondering about cultural differences, cost of living, standard of living, lifestyle changes, climate challenges etc. It's hard to beat SF, but financialy it's draining and with 3 kids we need to move somewhere. I'm a Brit married to an American - never stopped missing the Uk, but we cannot really afford to move there, so we're thinking Canada or a cheaper US state. Any views on the above ?
Thanks,
Ciara

Have you sorted out your American citizenship? Presumably you don't want to lose your status in the U.S.

Also, what's the plan regarding immigration visas for Canada?

Bill_S Aug 6th 2007 2:02 pm

You should probably post this in the Canadian Immigration section as well. You need to make sure you qualify for visas in Canada. Depending on your circumstances, it could take years for visas to be approved. Check out the Canadian Government's immigration web site to get more information on your options. It certainly would be easier to relocate in the US to save money; almost anywhere else would be less expensive than San Francisco.

USBound Aug 6th 2007 2:25 pm

Snorkmaiden will likely be able to provide some insight... she and hubby recently moved from Texas to Canada.

farmerwife Aug 6th 2007 2:54 pm

Thanks,
Ciara

Willamette valley towns in Oregon are very pleasant and less expensive than SF.
Portland, Salem, Corvallis, Eugene etc, all very livable.
Also not too far to drive up to BC to see the relatives.
No sales tax in Oregon.
Perhaps take a few days vacation to check it out - (Alberta :eek: cold cold cold in winter)

Cape Blue Aug 6th 2007 7:16 pm

Thanks,
Ciara

How strange, we are Brits living in SF who are currently considering moving to BC - I would think you were my partner posting except we don't have any kids:)

Will be different for you with an USC OH, for us on H1B and with limited opportunity to move to other companies and therefore limited ability to stay in the US, Vancouver may offer a similar lifestyle with somewhat lower costs.

All I have gathered so far is that it is quicker applying in the US to emmigrate to Canada than it is from the UK.

these may be of use

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...lled/index.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...s/op/index.asp
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...53#post4819753

I agree with the other poster about Oregon/Washington being good choices.

Good luck

Ciara Aug 6th 2007 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 5154043)
Have you sorted out your American citizenship? Presumably you don't want to lose your status in the U.S.

Also, what's the plan regarding immigration visas for Canada?

I am an American citizen now, but I have not looked into any immigration issues yet - still thinking things through. Thanks

Ciara Aug 6th 2007 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 5154456)
You should probably post this in the Canadian Immigration section as well. You need to make sure you qualify for visas in Canada. Depending on your circumstances, it could take years for visas to be approved. Check out the Canadian Government's immigration web site to get more information on your options. It certainly would be easier to relocate in the US to save money; almost anywhere else would be less expensive than San Francisco.

I have posted there thanks. My relatives would sponsor us, but I'm not sure how much all this costs or how long it takes.

Ciara Aug 6th 2007 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by farmerwife (Post 5154716)
Willamette valley towns in Oregon are very pleasant and less expensive than SF.
Portland, Salem, Corvallis, Eugene etc, all very livable.
Also not too far to drive up to BC to see the relatives.
No sales tax in Oregon.
Perhaps take a few days vacation to check it out - (Alberta :eek: cold cold cold in winter)

Yes we have to find the time to make a trip up there soon

Ciara Aug 6th 2007 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 5155518)
How strange, we are Brits living in SF who are currently considering moving to BC - I would think you were my partner posting except we don't have any kids:)

Will be different for you with an USC OH, for us on H1B and with limited opportunity to move to other companies and therefore limited ability to stay in the US, Vancouver may offer a similar lifestyle with somewhat lower costs.

All I have gathered so far is that it is quicker applying in the US to emmigrate to Canada than it is from the UK.

these may be of use

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...lled/index.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...s/op/index.asp
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...53#post4819753

I agree with the other poster about Oregon/Washington being good choices.

Good luck

Thanks, will check them out. We have a lot of decisions to make. Sometimes i wonder if we should just move back to the UK although whether that is affordable is questionable with all our money in dollars. Thanks anyway..

dunroving Aug 6th 2007 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ciara (Post 5155976)
Thanks, will check them out. We have a lot of decisions to make. Sometimes i wonder if we should just move back to the UK although whether that is affordable is questionable with all our money in dollars. Thanks anyway..

Well, depending on how long you've been away, how young you are, and whether your house in SF has appreciated in value, the UK may be very expensive, espeically for house-buying (search some of my recent posts).

I'd echo what others have said about OR - never lived there, but have friends there. Also, the SE USA has a much lower cost of living, inexpensive property, and although much of the SE USA can be very conservative, bible-belt, etc., there are pockets that are more liberal-thinking. And some of the cities are just plain fun to live in or near - Nashville TN and Athens GA being two examples.

JAJ Aug 7th 2007 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Ciara (Post 5155960)
I am an American citizen now, but I have not looked into any immigration issues yet - still thinking things through. Thanks

For immigration, visit http://www.cic.gc.ca

Your American passports don't give you the right to live in Canada, but it may be easier to get a work permit under the NAFTA rules. With a work permit, you may be eligible for a Provincial Nomination which would be the most straightforward pathway to Canadian permanent residence and Canadian citizenship.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...cial/index.asp

Becoming Canadian citizens in due course won't affect your American or British citizenship.

Slightly off topic - have you obtained British birth certificates for your US born children? This is recommended.

Ciara Aug 7th 2007 4:47 am

Slightly off topic - have you obtained British birth certificates for your US born children? This is recommended.[/QUOTE]

My first 2 children both have a British Passport and I registered their births also in England, but they don't have a British Birth Certificate as they were born in the US. I haven't got round to any of that yet for my youngest - 16 months, just an American passport at present

YankeemovingAbroad Aug 7th 2007 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Ciara (Post 5155968)
Yes we have to find the time to make a trip up there soon

Oregan is a good consideration.Low cost of living,affordable housing,very out doorsy activities and clean air.Located near enough to California,Washington state,and Canada making a drive to any of those places an easy trip.Some say that Oregan is as beautiful as north carolina but with much better night life.San Fransico is beautiful also but its in the top 5 most expensive cities to live in America.Canada is nice and clean plenty fresh air but the standard of life is not the same if you live aways from large cities.Living in the STICKS in Canada is like living in the STICKS times 3!!............and Frozen over.:eek:

Ciara Aug 8th 2007 5:13 am

he standard of life is not the same if you live aways from large cities.Living in the STICKS in Canada is like living in the STICKS times 3!!............and Frozen over.:eek:[/QUOTE]

I don't think I can do the STICK then - never lived more than a few miles - like 5 from a big city - maybe too much culture shock !