Move with Step dad/Uncle??

Move with Step dad/Uncle??

Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

pigletsweet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move with Step dad/Uncle??

Hi Guys,
More Q's from the Piglet.

My Step dad has now said he is deciding which place he will work in usa since he has been swamped with offers. When hes worked abroad before hes been issued visas..prob work ones...that entitle Mum and Little brother to join him.

Firstly will they issue him just a work visa? or PR visa..since he will work there a while hel need PR status.

Secondly as he married mum when i was around 14 and lived with us since i was 5 hes my step dad..though blood wise he is also my uncle.
He and mum divorced but worked it and plan to re marry.

Q: Can I go with him? Im over 21 and unmarried, will the fact hes divorced now mean under US law he is not my step father? Or could I get a 6 month visa and live with him where financially he will pay for everything...then upgrade to stay??

Thank you
Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move with Step dad/Uncle??

What is your mother's nationality/ies and status in the USA?
Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

Step father/Uncle..and real father (who resides in UK) Both hold dual british and canadian passports.

Mum is British...Although I believe since his job is umm important? IN the IT world these companies quarrel to keep him with them so they have always added mum and brother to Visa before hel take the job.

Or could I get PR if I go to Canada first where hes working at the moment then get to the USA with him that way?

I dont want to live in a different country from them although I know many people are in this pradicament..I want to get the right info to start the ball rolling..
Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pigletsweet
Step father/Uncle..and real father (who resides in UK) Both hold dual british and canadian passports.

Mum is British...Although I believe since his job is umm important? IN the IT world these companies quarrel to keep him with them so they have always added mum and brother to Visa before hel take the job.

Or could I get PR if I go to Canada first where hes working at the moment then get to the USA with him that way?

I dont want to live in a different country from them although I know many people are in this pradicament..I want to get the right info to start the ball rolling..
I'm thoroughly confused by all your posts! Is he in Canada at the moment? If so, why are you not there with him and your mother/sister? You could actually have gone to Canada with him on his visa (what visa is he on btw?) as you're considered a dependent until the age of 22 for Canadian immigration purposes.

And if he's there, then why are you worrying about US immigration? Just because they'll be there at some point in the future? Sorry for all the questions, but just trying to clarify!

I don't see how you can use any family connection to get to the US, he's your ex step-father (don't even think a current step-father could sponsor you!), and you cannot accompany him on any visa as you're over the age of 21. The only possible route that I can think of is if he remarries your mother, then you wait until they get green cards and then your mother could sponsor you for a visa but you'd have a long old wait.

So your best bet if you want to get out there in the next decade is to go back to the Wiki link (Pulaski's Ways) that you've been given in one of your other posts, and see if you can use any of those visa routes. Forget the vague family connection as it's really no use to you at all I'm afraid, at least not for a long, long time.

So you'll need to figure out another way to get there.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 13th 2009 at 6:11 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:16 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Q: Can I go with him? Im over 21 and unmarried, will the fact hes divorced now mean under US law he is not my step father? :
No you will need you means of entry~ ie visa

You are an adult ... your are now on your own

Last edited by Ray; Sep 13th 2009 at 6:20 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

Lol, Thank you.
Yes its all very confusing. My step dad is re marrying my mum..and they will both be going to the USA. Dad will be going first.

He currently works in Canada, but if I go there..I shall be on my todd..as he is taking a job in the USA in the new year and will move there I believe. Either way he has the money to invest and can afford to buy as business and already owns a business here...So i know he has a few options to stay there.

I will trundle around and see what I can do, just wondered if anyone else had been stuck in UK with parents staying in USA.

Thank you again.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

Oh... My step dad will be on a work visa in the USA i guess? But holds dual canadian/british citizenship so can work there with no worries.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

He currently works in Canada, but if I go there..I shall be on my todd..
You wouldn't be able to stay there anyway then, once he leaves then your own visa would be invalid (and that's assuming he could add you on to his visa, depends on what he's there on).

I will trundle around and see what I can do, just wondered if anyone else had been stuck in UK with parents staying in USA.
Lots of people have, if you do a search of the forums you should find some previous threads. Although most people's parents are either LPR's or citizens, and I don't believe yours are either of those things yet? So you'd have an even longer wait than most to get out there.

Whilst your mother may be able to sponsor you for a visa in a decade or so's time, you can't rely on it so basically you need to figure out how to make yourself eligible for a visa in your own right.

Good luck.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

:
Yes The children of H L and E visa all have to leave the US at 21
and go back to their home country .... some of course have been in the US most of their life
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

But holds dual canadian/british citizenship so can work there with no worries.
Don't know why you think he can work there 'with no worries' - Canadians and Brits still have to qualify for a work visa. You've already read Pulaski's Ways, he'll have to qualify for one of those visas too, he can't just enter and work!

He may possibly qualify for a TN visa if he's Canadian, but only certain occupations are eligible for that.

So basically, being Canadian is unlikely to make any difference, he'll still have to jump through the same hoops as anybody else. Find out exactly what visa he'll be on though, as that may well make a difference (i.e. some he wouldn't be able to get a green card on, so your mother could never sponsor you).

Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

Yes I am hoping to join as a student...Ive done my research on that and I hope to finish my study in Florida. If I can..so maybe I can stay somehow or apply during my stay...

Thank you guys...
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you've sorted it out as I'm totally confused.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes I am hoping to join as a student...Ive done my research on that and I hope to finish my study in Florida. If I can..so maybe I can stay somehow or apply during my stay...

Thank you guys...
Just make sure you research it and have a plan - if you get to the end of your course and have to return home, then it could be a huge waste of a lot of money!

You can't just 'stay somehow' or 'apply during your stay', it doesn't work like that. Unless you qualify for a work visa and a company is prepared to spend several thousand on a visa application for you (highly unlikely as a new graduate), then you'd have to return home. Note that you cannot apply for any work visa yourself - your potential employer has to.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:31 pm
Account Closed

Sorry I meant he works in Canada...with no worries...well i think anyway...nan is a canadian residing in the UK...He just upped and went..quite literally...his work sort everythin out he never does very much usually goes within a week of getting a work offer...I dont know who pulls what strings....but naively i thought he was entitled to work in canada without any worries since hes canadian...

I shall check what visa he gets in to usa and mention to him about the green card...thank you indeed
Old Sep 13th 2009, 7:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Sorry I meant he works in Canada...with no worries...well i think anyway...nan is a canadian residing in the UK...He just upped and went..quite literally...his work sort everythin out he never does very much usually goes within a week of getting a work offer...I dont know who pulls what strings....but naively i thought he was entitled to work in canada without any worries since hes canadian...

I shall check what visa he gets in to usa and mention to him about the green card...thank you indeed
Sorry, yes, he can work in Canada with no worries as he's a Canadian citizen, but can't in the US.

Do check what visa he'll be on in the US as that will make a difference to you.

And just as an aside, how about Canada instead? Assuming he and your mother have lived together for at least a year, if he sponsors you now (before you turn 22) then you'd get Canadian PR status. A lot easier than getting in to the US!! Edit: scrap that, have just realised that you said you've over 21, not 21! So he couldn't sponsor you for Canadian PR either.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 13th 2009 at 7:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.