Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Move to Seattle? Your thoughts?

Move to Seattle? Your thoughts?

Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:59 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Seattle? Your thoughts?

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
I agree. There's something about the light here too, no matter how grey the sky might be it's still very bright. I've seen very little rain here on any of my trips (and the were at all times of the year) certainly nowhere near as much as it rained in Cheshire/Manchester.

exvj's post about wildlife is quite interesting. I was stunned to see a family of deer wandering around our garden. Apparently there are 14 in the group and they just go where they please and have absolutely no fear. I didn't know racoons were so big either. I thought they were about the size of cats...not three times the size of cats! Again, it was absolutely fearless. I wish there were more things that ate spiders though
In (downtown) Redmond I have seen coyote, skunks, beavers, raccoons, possums, and deer. Bigger birds include bald eagles (nesting: four pairs successfully raised young last year), cormorants, osprey and buzzard and gray heron.

In Seattle we have peregrines nesting on some downtown ledges, and I regularly see bald eagles from my office.

The Olympic peninsula and Vancouver island are marvelous nature resources, too.

I *like* the weather here: I like having four seasons, I love rain and fog too. I lived a year in San Diego and the weather was totally boring.

Yay for Western Washington: now if we could get them rednecks east of the cascades to secede and stop taking all our taxes from King and Pierce counties, we'd be pretty much perfect...
Old Aug 26th 2010, 6:03 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burn1911
do you get Black widows over there? I must admit the thought of rattlers and other nasties puts me off moving that side of the mtns.. or anywhere else in the US come to think of it!
I don't know about black widows - havent googled em - but the lizards are horrible with big broad heads and spikes down their backs and there are lots of rattlesnakes. I like the florida lizards but these are ugly. They are all in the cascade mountains (400 yards away) and don't come into town.

I think it might be the best climate in the US - 4 seasons and it's not humid, not too cold in winter, and the heat is fine and a little bit of snow just to make it look nice. It is a superb climate with no hurricanes or tornadoes..

and everything is CHEAP (Yorky)..

I am never bored but wifey misses Chicago/Milwaukee - now that is a horrible winter !
Old Aug 26th 2010, 6:05 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
In (downtown)
Yay for Western Washington: now if we could get them rednecks east of the cascades to secede and stop taking all our taxes from King and Pierce counties, we'd be pretty much perfect...
I will stay here and swap you the east side neo-nazis for some nice Japanese girls from Seattle.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 6:54 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
I will stay here and swap you the east side neo-nazis for some nice Japanese girls from Seattle.
I have lots of family in Spokane...
Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:06 pm
Banned

I have lots of family in Spokane...

I am in Spokane for my Naturalization biometrics next thursday... the highlight will be a burger in Ritzville on the way. That is the sticks.

Spokane area looks ok - been there 3 times - but I strayed in Montana and there was a big sign at the side of the road that said

'JESUS IS LORD IN THIS VALLEY'

Quite scary but I kept going and didn't break down - phew !
Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:19 pm
Shocked of Redmond

Originally Posted by exvj
I am in Spokane for my Naturalization biometrics next thursday... the highlight will be a burger in Ritzville on the way. That is the sticks.
Not compared to Spangle, which is where my wife's family come from, waaaaay back///

Spokane area looks ok - been there 3 times
Spokane itself if a pretty cool place: some good eateries and downtown clubs. I like it there, module the weather...

but I strayed in Montana and there was a big sign at the side of the road that said

'JESUS IS LORD IN THIS VALLEY'

Quite scary but I kept going and didn't break down - phew !
We did a road trip to Montana and Wyoming this year (see my other thread), and apart from Missoula and the NPs, I did not like MT one bit. You know each state has its tagline? The Empire State, The Golden State, etc... I tend to think of MT as The F**k You State...
Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:27 pm
Banned

Not compared to Spangle, which is where my wife's family come from, waaaaay back///

Spokane itself if a pretty cool place: some good eateries and downtown clubs. I like it there, module the weather...

We did a road trip to Montana and Wyoming this year (see my other thread), and apart from Missoula and the NPs, I did not like MT one bit. You know each state has its tagline? The Empire State, The Golden State, etc... I tend to think of MT as The F**k You State...
a soulmate at last !
Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:47 am
Americano

nejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
Hey Jen.. welcome home.. how is the re-entry going?

Just want to add a pish posh! You're welcome to pop in here and chat any time you like. There's lots of us non-British here. Someone has to keep them honest.
Sorry for not replying for so long! I got all lost in moving back and kept meaning to write a reply because I've got so much to say and nobody to say it to, which I'll get to in a moment.

Thank you so very much for the warm welcome. I don't feel so freaked out about posting now. I genuinely was worried it wasn't appropriate for me to post.

I'm not going to lie, re-entry sucks. I didn't want to move back in the first place, but I'm in Broadcast Journalism and would be hard-pressed to find a job they wouldn't just give to one of my course mates who wouldn't have to go through all the visa trouble.

So I'm living in Los Angeles now, which is alright, but I miss everything desperately. I was never so homesick in the UK as I am now. I don't know many people because I've never lived in LA before. I live with my grandparents, so that's a difficult adjustment right off the start. I'm very lucky they've taken me in, but it's still difficult. I miss my friends so dearly...sometimes it physically hurts. I don't know when/if I'll ever see them again, which I know sounds a bit melodramatic, but I'm only 21. It's hard for me to see a light at the end of this particular tunnel.

On top of that, I'm working a minimum wage, part time job I hate in glorified fast food. I miss being a student and learning things, feeling like I was actually working towards something and becoming a more intelligent, well rounded person. It's a hugely difficult transition. I can't find a job because the job market sucks, and I do consider myself to be pretty qualified for the jobs I've been applying for, even over-qualified in some cases.

And the worst part is that there's nobody to talk to about it. My parents are upset that I'm upset and know there's nothing they can really do to make it better. I don't actually know anybody else who's made a transition like this. I mean, it's difficult for people to understand having your heart in two places that are 5,000 miles apart. But that's why I need to keep coming on here, because there's an enormous group of people who DO understand, because they've done the exact same thing. I truly hope I don't come off as a complainer or a cry baby, I just don't know where else to turn.

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I think the Brits appreciate the Americans who post here, some are spouces of Brits, some have lives in the UK, whatever the reason, it is good for us Brits to have feedback through American eyes. Just dont get too pissed off with us when we go in for some America-bashing, sometimes this just feels like a safe place to do it when we are having a bad day.
HA, not to worry. I do it all the time, and I'm the queen at taking the piss out of my American-self. It was the stem of so many jokes with my closest uni friends, so it's kind of engrained now!

And can I just say, to start off on the ranting, that I was most unimpressed to find Cadbury is now manufactured in...HERSHEY, PA? I knew Kraft took over, but I didn't realise they were going to move North American productions from Canada to the US, and in the same city that manufactures Hershey, no less!