Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Move to San Diego - yes or no?

Move to San Diego - yes or no?

Old Apr 7th 2019, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to San Diego - yes or no?

Originally Posted by park99 View Post
Weather in where I live has been 11C for this week, dreary with cold rain, hail, wind... In this weather the move becomes a no brainer.

Hubby will work near UCSD. I have looked at 4S ranch and Ranch Bernardo. They seem more affordable. Would the commute too far?
The commutes could be painful. It's not so much about the distance but the times that the journey can take. We live about 7 miles south of UCSD, my husband works a mile north. It can take him 45 minutes to get home in the evening.

Pick a few homes in each of the areas and see what the commute time is on mapquest.com. Use zillow to find homes for sale so that you can get the exact address. I'd plan on the commuting time being an hour each way. The 56 westbound in the morning can be sticky/very slow.
Old May 13th 2019, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Weather in where I live has been 11C for this week, dreary with cold rain, hail, wind... In this weather the move becomes a no brainer.

Hubby will work near UCSD. I have looked at 4S ranch and Ranch Bernardo. They seem more affordable. Would the commute too far?
Just picked up on your threads. As name says, live in San Diego ; well Poway really just next door to Rancho Bernardo. Been here for 20 years.

You've had lots of info from other folks so I'm just giving some insights into property values.

Notice that you currently live in Oxford, we came from Guildford. While San Diego is considered expensive we did not find properties overly expensive compared to SE England. I would think the Oxford properties are pretty pricey.

Houses in Rancho Bernardo and Poway range from those built in the 1960's to current day, and prices are reflected in this. A modern (built from 2000) detached 4 bedroom property would be in the range of 800k to 1.2 million USD. Older properties in the 400K to 600K USD range.

4S ranch is a new development/community. Nothing there built before 2000 . Homes are therefore modern with good specification/schools/shopping areas. Prices from 800K to 1.6 million USD

Commuting to UCSD can be done from RB, Poway and 4S ranch - probably an hour either down the I-15 or the I-5.

You mention maybe missing Europe. Well hubby and I go to Europe each year now and yes, we do miss it. Although, when we first came to California we did not feel this so much , as there was so much to see and do, as well as touring around the rest of the States of course.

We have found it a wonderful experience, but I think you have to be of the mindset that you are really going to make the adventure work.
Old May 15th 2019, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

park99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info - SanDiegogirl.

I agree that Oxford is also very expensive to live, the worst affordability area outside London. There are areas in the desired part of town that you only get a small terraced house for £1m. Mad....

The older houses here are mostly well built (solid brick) and comes with good size garden. How are the older houses in SD? It seemed most of the California homes are built with stud and wood, I wonder how they age?

Great to hear that you have found it a great experience. You are quite right about that mindset. I guess I am not very good at making big decision and all the news I read on papers don't help with the positive US image
Old May 15th 2019, 9:27 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

…. It seemed most of the California homes are built with stud and wood,
If I lived in an area as prone to earthquakes as California I would want to live in a timber-framed house. A nailed timber frame can take a lot of shaking without collapsing.

BTW "timber" = "studs". The timber frame is then encased in sheathing (OSB or plywood) on the outside and drywall aka Sheetrock® (plasterboard) on the inside. The gap in between is filled with insulation. The sheathing is then covered with some sort of weatherproof covering, which might be brick, (but the brick is non-structural), siding (clapboard, which may be plastic, aluminium, wood or some sort of synthetic composite material), or cement/ stucco, which is applied over cement back boards (effectively a sort of plasterboard-like sheet form of cement).

Last edited by Pulaski; May 15th 2019 at 9:31 pm.
Old May 16th 2019, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

My dad lives in an 80 year old in San Diego area, its holding up fine.

Lots of WW2 era houses still in So. California holding up just fine, some even older.
Old May 16th 2019, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Move to San Diego - yes or no?

Thanks for the info - SanDiegogirl.

I agree that Oxford is also very expensive to live, the worst affordability area outside London. There are areas in the desired part of town that you only get a small terraced house for £1m. Mad....

The older houses here are mostly well built (solid brick) and comes with good size garden. How are the older houses in SD? It seemed most of the California homes are built with stud and wood, I wonder how they age?

Great to hear that you have found it a great experience. You are quite right about that mindset. I guess I am not very good at making big decision and all the news I read on papers don't help with the positive US image

The majority of homes in SoCal are timber framed - rarely do you see anything built of solid brick. They are absolutely fine as far as long lasting is concerned and, unlike homes in the UK, you get very little, if any cracking due to foundation or structure settling. We have bought two new homes here and were very pleased not to have to get the builders back to repair 'cracking'. You get more for your money away from the coast, with bigger gardens.

With regard the positive (or not) image of the US, remember that the media does like to sensationalize events - when I visit the UK (remembering some of the things I have recently read in the news) I am always pleasantly surprised to see folks going about their normal lives and seeing nothing of the knife epidemic or Wild West behaviour which is prolific in so many newspapers and on TV. Sure, some areas in the UK are pretty awful, similarly here in the US - just avoid those places
Old May 16th 2019, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

If I lived in Oxford I would stay. San Diego is a scrub desert - beautiful when its sunny awful when its rainy and cloudy. No soul here, no real community - classic So. Ca living. You will likely miss the green and seasons (unless you like palm trees and golf courses). House prices in places where you would want to live are going to be $700K upward for a house. Anything else is going to involve long commutes or questionable neighborhoods. A big factor to consider is schooling - about the only two decent school districts in SD are Poway (it's unincorporated so doesn't really count) and Scripps Ranch - house prices reflect this. The private schools in the area come in at about $36000K per person per year.

Healthcare - need I say anymore - its going to cost you thousands and quite literally probably $1000 per month for a family of four before all the extra add on costs, not forgetting dentalcare another profitable profession.

As an earlier poster said for a family of four I would factor $300k just to get by with a similar lifestyle to what you currently likely possess in Oxfordshire.

Old May 16th 2019, 9:54 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail View Post
If I lived in Oxford I would stay. San Diego is a scrub desert - beautiful when its sunny awful when its rainy and cloudy. ....
And how often is that the case in So Cal? .... Not often enough based on the reports of wild fires in recent years.
..... House prices in places where you would want to live are going to be $700K upward .....
So about the same as Oxford then, maybe even a bit cheaper!
.... Healthcare - need I say anymore - its going to cost you thousands and quite literally probably $1000 per month for a family of four before all the extra add on costs, not forgetting dentalcare another profitable profession. ...
Except that if you have the family income to support a comfortable life in Oxford you will likely be paying significantly more tax in the UK than you would in the US. I cut my tax bill when I moved to the US and even if I include my health insurance AND HSA contributions as if they were taxes I still pay less than I did in the UK. Granted income taxes are higher in CA (I think), but IMO it is still likely that the cost of health insurance and OoP medical expenses in the US will be fully set off by paying less tax.

And FWIW our HD insurance costs $186/mth for a family of three, and then we max out our HSAs or about another $440/mth after employer contributions.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 16th 2019 at 11:13 pm.
Old May 16th 2019, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Compare me = So. Ca resident +17 years. Pulaski somewhere over in the mid to East coast region - its a different animal over there. I know I own property in both regions

To the OP - I now like to think Pulaski and I agree to disagree on Healthcare, I have been down this rabbit hole many times. Suffice it to say CA Heathcare costs are higher.

Amazingly, the weather here is not all sun and sandy beaches - well certainly not coral pink beaches

Houses - don't forget property tax which you can add to monthly outgoings - its going be between 1 - 1.2% of the purchase price so figure another $700- $1000 per month. Oh and most of those nice neighborhoods require a HOA fee usually another $300-$500 per month. And utilities - Electric is crazy especially in those nice neighbourhoods - not unusual to pay another $300-500 per month when running air conditioning for a family of 4.

Yep - So CA living is not cheap that sun tax is real!

Last edited by vikingsail; May 16th 2019 at 10:25 pm.
Old May 16th 2019, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A big factor to consider is schooling - about the only two decent school districts in SD are Poway (it's unincorporated so doesn't really count) and Scripps Ranch - house prices reflect this. The private schools in the area come in at about $36000K per person per year.

Poway is most certainly NOT unincorporated. It is its own city and has been since 1980 It has its own city council and mayor, raises its own local taxes and maintains its own utilities and public services. It's roads are a darn sight better than San Diego's as are its public services.
Old May 16th 2019, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to think San Diego was expensive (my home town) then I moved to Canada and ended up in Vancouver, yeah San Diego looks pretty affordable these days...lol
Old May 17th 2019, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

OldJuddian is an unknown quantity at this point

If I lived in Oxford I would stay. San Diego is a scrub desert - beautiful when its sunny awful when its rainy and cloudy.
Living in San Diego (border of SD & Poway) was the best years of my life. I have lived in 3 continents and nothing matched San Diego.
The weather is amazing, you can eat outside everyday of the year, and it does not get super hot unless you head inland to Ramona.

As an earlier poster said for a family of four I would factor $300k just to get by with a similar lifestyle to what you currently likely possess in Oxfordshire.
My family of 4 on $150k would beg to differ, and I was hardly slumming it! I was enjoying San Diego to the fullest.