Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Move parents to the USA

Move parents to the USA

Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move parents to the USA

Originally Posted by Elvira

NB: The cost at the time would have been less than a couple of grand (assuming fees for both of you and a couple of kids), but they are going up soon (in June I believe, though I may be wrong)
too true...especially now with the massive hike in fee's, it'll be a tad pricey now...
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:17 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScillyBrit
After looking around on these threads... I agree that it might not have been the best 'move'!!! The contract would have been binding, but that wasn't really an issue. If he decides in the future to take them up on this offer, we would just pay them off... no biggie.
A couple of grand???? How come they were going to give us ten grand to cover this? And it's just him and I here.
Lawyers' fees?

But it's perfectly possibly to do this without a lawyer - though you'd have to be detail-oriented. We filled in all the forms ourselves but paid a lawyer to look them over before submitting them.

All the forms and fees are on the uscis website. But, as I said, they are going to go up SIGNIFICANLTY fairly soon.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:25 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

ScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud of

My OH has a very 'demanding' job, I think the last thing he would want to do is come home and start processing forms for immigration...
We are lucky enough to be able to afford to go through the lawyers... though I do try to keep this at a minimum...
Thanks for the info on the work visa, I didn't know the time frame on that one, cool... I should start promoting myself in the area!!! Hmmm... let me clarify that... I am a western equine coach so I will be looking for students...LOL!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 5:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

My OH has a very 'demanding' job, I think the last thing he would want to do is come home and start processing forms for immigration...
you could do 'em...
Old Mar 27th 2007, 5:39 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
you could do 'em...
I did all 5 of ours. It ain't rocket science
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:33 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

ScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
you could do 'em...
I could... but, I probably won't !!!

I'm better off leaving it in the hands of those who are in the 'know'...
If I told my OH I was going to be tackling this, he would probably just tell me that he would prefer the lawyers to handle it!!! That wouldn't be a critism of my abilities, he is just that type of person who would rather a 'professional' deal with things like this.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I could... but, I probably won't !!!

I'm better off leaving it in the hands of those who are in the 'know'...
If I told my OH I was going to be tackling this, he would probably just tell me that he would prefer the lawyers to handle it!!! That wouldn't be a critism of my abilities, he is just that type of person who would rather a 'professional' deal with things like this.
I did mine.

Not that hard.

No more so that say getting a SSN, getting Insurance or registering a vehicle.

I am however no good at cleaning, definitely wish I had a 'professional' to do that.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info... I am trying to think who it was who told me that the US frown on holding 3 passports, dual citizenship these days is also an issue in the US (Homeland Security and all that).
Visit http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

Incidentally, United States nationality law is within the jurisdiction of the State Department, not the Department of Homeland Security.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:56 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

Originally Posted by JAJ
Visit http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

Incidentally, United States nationality law is within the jurisdiction of the State Department, not the Department of Homeland Security.
Thank you for posting this link... this has been a good day for learning new things!!! Very interesting, though I would have liked to have seen more info on multiple passport holders.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:12 am
I'm older but no wiser!

Hmmmm...

Taken from the link above:

'In some cases, a country may seek to restrict dual citizenship by requiring one of its citizens born with some other citizenship to renounce (give up) the other citizenship upon reaching adulthood. Similarly, newly naturalized citizens in some countries are required to renounce their previous citizenship(s): the US has such a requirement, for example, but Canada does not. And in some cases, a country will automatically revoke the citizenship of one of its citizens who aquires another country's citizenship by naturalization, even if no explicit renunciation was involved.'

Apologies for hi-jacking this thread, I will post further enquiries on the Immigration section... just wanted to highlight this.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Hmmmm...

'In some cases, a country may seek to restrict dual citizenship by requiring one of its citizens born with some other citizenship to renounce (give up) the other citizenship upon reaching adulthood. Similarly, newly naturalized citizens in some countries are required to renounce their previous citizenship(s): the US has such a requirement, for example, but Canada does not. And in some cases, a country will automatically revoke the citizenship of one of its citizens who aquires another country's citizenship by naturalization, even if no explicit renunciation was involved.'
And the end of the paragraph from the link sums up....

"Other countries (such as the U.S. in recent years) may treat their own naturalization oath's renunciatory language as essentially meaningless and take no steps to enforce it at all."
Old Mar 28th 2007, 11:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm...

The key point here is that the U.S. does not require naturalising U.S. citizens to go to the Embassy of their old country and obtain proof they are not a citizen of that country any more. And many countries do not recognise the U.S. naturalisation oath.

So de-facto, dual citizenship is allowed provided the new U.S. citizen does not try to "use" his foreign citizenship while in the United States.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:50 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

Originally Posted by JAJ
The key point here is that the U.S. does not require naturalising U.S. citizens to go to the Embassy of their old country and obtain proof they are not a citizen of that country any more. And many countries do not recognise the U.S. naturalisation oath.

So de-facto, dual citizenship is allowed provided the new U.S. citizen does not try to "use" his foreign citizenship while in the United States.
That's how I read it too... thought it was interesting... just in case anyone else was out there in my position and was not sure about this
Old Mar 28th 2007, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

BamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really nice

My Parents are also wanting to move over here. They have been here a lot on vacation and are convinced that this where they want to retire. The only thing they are worried about is the health care costs. But my wifes Aunt is a Nurse practitioner and my MIL is a RN and so is my wifes grandmother so we could probably offset a lot of costs because of this. But im still worried about them if they come down with a major illness like cancer or something like that, both of them are heavy smokers and i know insurance companies would frown on this. They would both be able to work for 8-10 years before retiring so maybe they could get medicaid , i dont know yet. I havent really started to research like i need to.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BamaBrit
My Parents are also wanting to move over here. They have been here a lot on vacation and are convinced that this where they want to retire. The only thing they are worried about is the health care costs. But my wifes Aunt is a Nurse practitioner and my MIL is a RN and so is my wifes grandmother so we could probably offset a lot of costs because of this. But im still worried about them if they come down with a major illness like cancer or something like that, both of them are heavy smokers and i know insurance companies would frown on this. They would both be able to work for 8-10 years before retiring so maybe they could get medicaid , i dont know yet. I havent really started to research like i need to.

Here's a quick primer on Medicare -

http://www.aarp.org/research/medicar...673-FS45r.html

To be eligible for Premium free Part A Medicare they would have to work here for 40 quarters (10 years). Until then, jobs with health insurance would be the best bet.

Medicaid is (simplified) a health program for those on welfare/in poverty -
not an option for new immigrants (asylum seekers excepted).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.