Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Move parents to the USA

Move parents to the USA

Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move parents to the USA

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Dual citizenship used to be frowned upon, and now is tacitly recognized (more of a 'turn a blind eye toward'). Of course, once a US citizen you must use your US passport to enter the US and you have the tax liability.

During the oath, you 'renounce' all alegiances to other countries, which satisfies the US that you have 'abandoned' your other citizenship. But other countries don't recognize taking the oath as abandoning your citizenship, as they have different procedures, so it is sort of a 'wink wink--nudge nudge' thing as long as you pay taxes, use the US passport for entry and register for the draft, etc.
You must also use a US PP to leave the US.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScillyBrit
My parents (who are both retired) came over a couple of years ago... they fell in love with our lifestyle!!!. We have had lots of discussions about them moving here over the past 6 months.
My OH is looking into becoming a US citizen... I do not want to go this route as along with my British passport I have my Canadian citizenship (once a Canadian passport is surrendered, it's never given back).
As I understand it, unless one of us is a US citizen, they will not be able to move over here whilst we are on L1/L2 visa's?
I also quoted them $1000 per month for health care, is that about right or are there other things to take into consideration?
They have a lot of equity in their home, plus both have private pensions and some money stashed away...
I don't want to steer them in the wrong direction... and I don't want to see them losing their hard earned savings.

Regards
Tracey
they can have CA, UK and US citizenship, that isn't a problem...you have to be a USC to sponsor folks, which you can apply for once you've had yourGC for 5 years.

Insurance premiums will probably be higher than $1K a month...plus deductibles and co-pays will probably be higher, and don't forget prescription meds...
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:22 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

ScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Elvira
Ian who posts on the Immigration forums has UK + CA + US...

No need to pay a lawyer...
I will delve into the immigration thread and have a looksee... sorry if I have duplicated another thread... being a newbie is my only excuse!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:24 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

ScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
they can have CA, UK and US citizenship, that isn't a problem...you have to be a USC to sponsor folks, which you can apply for once you've had yourGC for 5 years.
FIVE YEARS... holy smokes... glad I started asking the questions... I have been misled quite badly by others!
Looks like looooooong holidays for my folks!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

FIVE YEARS... holy smokes... glad I started asking the questions... I have been misled quite badly by others!
There are a lot of misperceptions about US immigration and nationality laws. You might want to check out www.uscis.gov.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You do not have a GC now. L?

So say 1 year to get GC

5 years to be able to apply for Citizenship

1 year to get it

1 year to sponsor parents

Those 1 year times are variable of course, could be quicker or longer.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
You do not have a GC now. L?

So say 1 year to get GC

5 years to be able to apply for Citizenship

1 year to get it

1 year to sponsor parents

Those 1 year times are variable of course, could be quicker or longer.
Yep...not going to be much quicker...matter of months maybe. Could be a lot longer than 8 yrs.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:37 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

There are a lot of misperceptions about US immigration and nationality laws. You might want to check out www.uscis.gov.
I appreciate everyones input... thank you!
I will certainly browse this link...
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:43 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

We are on a L1 visa, mine is actually an L2 (spouse) which does not allow me to work (my SS# is for tax purposes only). My lawyer is processing my work visa, shouldn't be too long before I get that... it's more of a money thing than anything!
We have been looking into GC's but because my OH has been away so much lately we just haven't applied ourselves to the task! Looks like we are going to have to 'buck up' and get sorted!
I had no conception of the time frame involved, very naive of me... I am really glad you guys have given me this info, at least I now know what I am up against.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:46 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

We are on a L1 visa, mine is actually an L2 (spouse) which does not allow me to work (my SS# is for tax purposes only). My lawyer is processing my work visa, shouldn't be too long before I get that... it's more of a money thing than anything!
We have been looking into GC's but because my OH has been away so much lately we just haven't applied ourselves to the task! Looks like we are going to have to 'buck up' and get sorted!
I had no conception of the time frame involved, very naive of me... I am really glad you guys have given me this info, at least I now know what I am up against.

(1) You do not need a lawyer to file for an EAD.

(2) Nothing is going to happen about your GCs unless your husband's employer is willing to sponsor him for it. What does his contract say in this respect?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:54 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

(1) You do not need a lawyer to file for an EAD.

(2) Nothing is going to happen about your GCs unless your husband's employer is willing to sponsor him for it. What does his contract say in this respect?
My Oh's employer wanted him to get his green card last year, they were even offering us a loan to cover the cost (which we would only have to pay back if he left his position within 4 years).
He wasn't very happy with his employers at that time so didn't take the offer up... I think it's still on the table (and he is alot happier with his employers now!)
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:57 pm
Homebody

My Oh's employer wanted him to get his green card last year, they were even offering us a loan to cover the cost (which we would only have to pay back if he left his position within 4 years).
He wasn't very happy with his employers at that time so didn't take the offer up... I think it's still on the table (and he is alot happier with his employers now!)
Gosh that may have been a daft move! Once he has the GC he could switch employer (unless they tie him into some sort of contract - which in any case *might* be breakable).

NB: The cost at the time would have been less than a couple of grand (assuming fees for both of you and a couple of kids), but they are going up soon (in June I believe, though I may be wrong)
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:07 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

Gosh that may have been a daft move! Once he has the GC he could switch employer (unless they tie him into some sort of contract - which in any case *might* be breakable).

NB: The cost at the time would have been less than a couple of grand (assuming fees for both of you and a couple of kids), but they are going up soon (in June I believe, though I may be wrong)
After looking around on these threads... I agree that it might not have been the best 'move'!!! The contract would have been binding, but that wasn't really an issue. If he decides in the future to take them up on this offer, we would just pay them off... no biggie.
A couple of grand???? How come they were going to give us ten grand to cover this? And it's just him and I here.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

aye, its' 3 years to get citizenship through marriage, it's 5 through other means...
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

EAD should take 90 odd days to get, you could do it yourself, it ain't a tough one that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.