Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Move to New York or Sydney?

Move to New York or Sydney?

Old Jan 9th 2018, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to New York or Sydney?

I'd certainly choose the US over AUS.

A good friend of mine relocated to Sydney a few years ago. His mum was in a very serious car accident (sadly passed away). It wasn't just the length of time it took him to get back to the UK it was the expense of such a last-minute flight too.

Definitely food for thought regardless of how doom and gloom it is.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
I'd certainly choose the US over AUS.

A good friend of mine relocated to Sydney a few years ago. His mum was in a very serious car accident (sadly passed away). It wasn't just the length of time it took him to get back to the UK it was the expense of such a last-minute flight too.

Definitely food for thought regardless of how doom and gloom it is.
This is interesting food for thought.

My Dad passed last year and I managed to get back twice from Boston, once to say goodbye, the other to cremate him.

Interestingly we as a family spoke about my distance away from home, and all came to the conclusion that as long as I am happy, healthy and in a good job, whatever happens in life, happens. We all know we love (loved) each other, ultimately if I did not make it back in time, we would still be at peace.

Not sure if that made as much sense as it did in my mind, but, not moving somewhere because how long it takes to get home in an emergency would be a mistake, in my opinion. I know my Dad would have encouraged me to go anywhere to be happy.

On a personal note, I detest NYC, but, have never been to Sydney. I hadn't been to Boston before I moved here, though, so in your position, I would roll the dice (which it will be, a dice roll), and go to OZ.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Peter124 is an unknown quantity at this point

I spent 3 great years in Melbourne in the late '70s. Visited Sydney often while I was there, and several times afterwards. It's a fantastic city; comparing it to Frankfurt, etc., seems a little harsh. San Francisco maybe.

But ... comments about career opportunities are correct. In fact, I moved to NJ in 1980 for just that reason. At that point I was in my early '30s. And it's turned out pretty well, but I often wonder how it would have worked out if I had stayed. Now I'm retired, I would happily move back, but the that's not realistically possible from a visa point of view.

So as a place to live, I would choose Sydney. For work, probably NYC. But let's not forget that this is a retirement forum, which suggests that living well is pretty important!
Old Jan 9th 2018, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter124
.. But let's not forget that this is a retirement forum, which suggests that living well is pretty important!
Old Jan 9th 2018, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the pea
Hi,
Thank you for the above replies.

Just to give life a background, the role is actually in the construction field, albeit in a more white collar / office role. I would be on an E2 visa in New York. Salary is $85k (USD) in New York and $105k (USD) in Sydney.

I am trying to consider the lifestyle and social aspect as truth be told I am quietly ambitious but my life outside of work is a lot more important to me.
I've never lived in either city, but if I was offered $85k to move for a job in New York and $105k to do the same job in Sydney, I'd obviously go to Sydney. That's a big difference, and the cost of living in New York is higher, not lower. Are you sure those numbers are the right way round?
Old Jan 9th 2018, 6:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So as a place to live, I would choose Sydney. For work, probably NYC. But let's not forget that this is a retirement forum, which suggests that living well is pretty important!
What on earth gives you that idea?
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Peter124 is an unknown quantity at this point

But let's not forget that this is a retirement forum, which suggests that living well is pretty important!
Ooops. Forgot where I was!

Never mind. Just carry on folks ....
Old Jan 10th 2018, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

To put the travel time in perspective - my in-laws, who are Italian, are visiting in a few months and we bought their plane tickets this morning. Airport to airport, they will have 24 hours of travel time, and that is with just one, reasonably-timed transfer.

That is just from Milan to Perth. London to Sydney is several hours longer.

When I lived in Miami, and I did Europe-USA, I would leave Europe mid-morning and get to Miami mid-afternoon the same day. A much, much easier trip, and one I could do several times a year. Europe-Australia is (in my view) reasonably priced (I usually pay between $1,200 and $1,500 AUD return) but it is such a grueling journey that it's not one I enjoy doing more than once per year.

Regardless, I have a different perspective on the relatives thing, I respect those who view it as a major factor, but when we choose to be expats, the risk of being away when something catastrophic happens at home is just something that factors into the risk and you accept that going in. We cannot predict when or how someone will die; they can get into a car crash and you still may not be able to "say good-bye" even if you are living in the UK. So I did not factor that in, but as I said I understand those who do - and I do respect the situation as well of those who, worry they wouldn't be able to deal with the grief, or who come from situations where the family politics would never let you get over it.

Whatever OP decides, I would caution against making broad generalisations about Australian culture and people, and making a decision to move to Sydney, on the basis that you met a few Aussie backpackers once and thought they were cool. That seems (and I am saying this to be realistic, not rude) - peak snowflake.

Use factors such as the salary, living conditions, job advancement prospects, distance from home, proximity to other holiday locations, social opportunities (as that is important to you) etc.

Good luck.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

carcajou - very good and insightful post
Old Jan 10th 2018, 8:58 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone has mentioned that $105k in Sydney is not a great wage. Yes it's fine for a young single, but it won't go far in the way of housing or or eating out or travel.

If it was me I would be asking for closer to $125.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I don't think anyone has mentioned that $105k in Sydney is not a great wage. Yes it's fine for a young single, but it won't go far in the way of housing or or eating out or travel.

If it was me I would be asking for closer to $125.
Are you reading that as $105k AUD or $105k USD? The OP posted that his/her Sydney offer is $105k USD, which would be about $190k AUD.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

I have not been to Australia but recently moved to NJ and visit NYC regularly.
Whilst we didn't have a choice about location, we obviously did have the choice of whether or not we went and some of the things that made the move a pro was
Location not only to family in the U.K. but Europe in general as we love traveling around Europe and l was happy that this wouldn't be impossible if wanted to go on holiday there. Plus it is easy for friends and family to visit here (honestly maybe a little bit too easy!! Maybe move location to con!! 😆)
We love that we can drive to such a variety of things from here, a day at the beach in the summer or a day skiing in the winter. There are also other fantastic cities that are still really close, Philly, Boston, Washington etc. Even did the Canadian Niagra Falls over a weekend (but was a touch too far for one night!).
I think you have a wonderful opportunity with whichever option you take but as you have 2 offers, use this to negotiate with both as hard as possible if you haven't already. Good luck with your choice.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

the pea is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all the responses - much appreciated !

In terms of distance - I don’t know where my parents will be in a couple of years when they retire (they have a couple of options in terms of retirement locations) and my family are scattered between Canada, Asia and Europe - so don’t think distance is too much of factor for me.

It’s 135k AUD for sydney - which I thought was pretty good for anywhere in the world tbh?! Unfortunately I can’t negotiate any more money for the New York role as my experience in the specific construction field is limited. Hopefully after 6 months to a year I could show my worth and negotiate more. I would hope on that initially salary I could share an apartment outside of Manhattan and still have enough to spend on going for after work drinks, a couple of meals a week in not so expensive restaurants and a couple of other bits like the gym, the occasional gig and a writing class etc. I don’t want to move there and be just about making ends meet and eating rice and noddles everyday - where’s the fun in that - may as well stay put.

I only get 14days holiday in NY v. 20days in Sydney. And I think in Sydney they would be more open for me to take unpaid leave should I need to.

Will post what I decide and why so it can maybe help anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation. In the mean time if anyone else has had any experiences or point of view that could be helpful please share.

Thank you all again
Old Jan 12th 2018, 3:30 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

On a lighthearted note, are you interested in sport, whether as a participant or a spectator?

For example:

Australia: Rugby, cricket, soccer/football, Aussie Rules soccer, Formula 1 (Melbourne) horse racing/equestrian and individual sports like tennis, swimming, cycling, running, fishing, surfing, skiing/snowboarding, sailing, scuba diving.

USA; American Football, baseball, horse racing/equestrian, ice hockey, NASCAR (motor sport) and individual sports as listed above. There are soccer games played but it’s not much of a spectator sport unless there is an exhibition game on with teams from central and South America and Europe playing a major league soccer team. Also rugby and cricket is very limited....the latter being mostly played by Indian expats afaik.

FYI - although the annual leave if you take the job in New York is 14 days, most Americans don’t even take up their full entitlement! They tend to take long weekends off as they feel that they will be regarded as shirkers if they use up all their annual leave....I’m convinced that is why so many Americans are on anti-depressants, they don’t spend enough time relaxing and recharging. Btw; you may also want to find out about your healthcare coverage if you work in the US - not just the monthly fees but also your co-pays.

OTOH you may well end up paying something towards private as opposed to public health care in Oz, but I’m sure it will be less than in the States. However, you will probably be paying more in income tax compared to the US.

I can’t make any comments about your career, but here’s a thought; if you live in the UK you will always have an option to easily visit New York for a quick trip and other parts of the US. You would never be able to go to Oz from the UK for a short leisure trip; why not take the opportunity to spend a few years in Australia, especially as the company is paying for you to move there? It doesn’t have to be forever. I have to say I’m biased - we’ve lived in Singapore so have had a number of trips to Australia (including Tasmania) and New Zealand and loved it, such a beautiful country.

We currently live in the New York metro area (spouse works in Times Square) but I’d go to Sydney in a heartbeat!

Btw; I suggest that you google ‘construction in New York + Mafia, Unions’ - it will be very eye-opening and the mob still apparently has links with sub-contractors working on major building projects.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

$85k is not much money in New York. Americans pay not just federal income tax but state income tax and sometimes even local income taxes (not always the case everywhere, some states don't have income tax). But in New York City when you add up the three it's a hefty hit.

And be careful in thinking about living "outside" New York and commuting in. New York has the longest average commutes in America. You can find cheaper towns outside New York with lower rents but the trade off are long commutes, and as a newcomer, greater difficulty in meeting people as well as reduced ability to take advantage of New York itself. You might think you can still come into the city on weekends, but after a long week of long hours and long commutes, when weekends roll around you'll be too tired to get back on the train to go into the city.

Your best bet is likely looking into Brooklyn or Queens, which are still part of New York City but have somewhat lower rents (Brooklyn is very expensive in parts, less so in other parts). I love Brooklyn and would rather live there over Manhattan and it's hugely popular with young single people. But odds are you'll still have flatmates.

Then there's the 14 days leave. It's not that great. It means two weeks home each year to see the family and potentially another week to explore America. That could be ok, but I'd find it limited. You may find a work culture that disapproves of you taking all your entitled leave but then again, maybe not. But it's still different from Australia where no one thinks twice about taking long holidays.

My guess is that you'll have greater disposable income in Australia. It seems to me Sydney's greatest disadvantage is the distance from the UK. But if you view this job as strictly 2-3 years abroad before returning to the UK then Sydney could be a great adventure. And I loved New Zealand and exploring SE Asia and you'll have the paid leave to do it easily.

On the other hand, New York is also a great adventure in itself.

Would working in New York make it easier for you to progress in your career, or Sydney?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.