British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Move to Houston, TX from UK. Work-related questions. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/move-houston-tx-uk-work-related-questions-905528/)

Alex505 Nov 6th 2017 10:02 pm

Move to Houston, TX from UK. Work-related questions.

Hi everyone,

I'm wanting to move to Houston from the UK. My girlfriend of two years is American and a Houston native, I've been back and forth a few times, and now I want to make the big step.
I'm a qualified chef by trade, and have looked at websites such as Hosco for job opportunities. A few questions;

Would I be better off applying for jobs with big companies? (Hilton, Hyatt, etc)

Do I need a job offer before I/the company apply for a working visa?

I understand the company I potentially work for has to sponsor me in order to get a working visa, can I offer to pay for the cost of doing this? I don't want to apply for a job and not be successful because the company thinks they'll have to incur costs sponsoring me.

I've done my best to research, but have found a lot of conflicting info.

I'm a bit in the dark about it all, so any info, advice or to be pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Pulaski Nov 6th 2017 10:06 pm

Re: Move to Houston, TX from UK. Work-related questions.

The US doesn't issue visas for skilled trades. The rest of your post is moot.

For you, as for many of us here, the "big step" is popping the question and getting married.

Alex505 Nov 6th 2017 10:12 pm

Hi, Pulaski. Thanks for your reply.

Not even temporary, non-immigrant visas? For a year or so?

Noorah101 Nov 6th 2017 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Alex505 (Post 12376345)

Nope. Such a visa doesn't exist. The employer would have to sponsor a work visa and pay the cost. Perhaps if you could work for Hilton in the UK for a year, you might be eligible for a transfer, I'm nite sure.

Marriage is the surest way forward, assuming you guys are ready for marriage.

Rene

Pulaski Nov 6th 2017 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Alex505 (Post 12376345)

There's nothing like the Australian, NZ, and Canadian "working holiday visa", if that's what you mean.

There is a J-1 "cultural exchange visa", which gets used for a grab-bag of things, such as summer camp leader, soccer coach, ski-chalet staff, academy researcher, and some other "cultural" things, but they are job/project specific and often only for a few months. The money is often very low too, designed to provide temporary income, but not enough to live on and support a home or family - with such jobs accommodation is often provided, but only for "you", not a spouse or family.

Alex505 Nov 6th 2017 11:16 pm

Thanks for your help and advice, Noorah101 and Pulaski :-)

SanDiegogirl Nov 6th 2017 11:18 pm

As said, to obtain a work visa you have to find an employer who will sponsor you for one. The prospective employer has to pay for all costs; legal, visas etc.

Are you in the same league as Gordon Ramsey, Jamie Oliver or a Marco White, where your skills would be outstanding and could qualify for an O-1 visa?

If not, then marriage sounds the way to go......

Pulaski Nov 6th 2017 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12376365)
As said, to obtain a work visa you have to find an employer who will sponsor you for one. The prospective employer has to pay for all costs; legal, visas etc. ....

That's technically correct advice, but of no help if your occupation is a skilled trade.

....Are you in the same league as Gordon Ramsey, Jamie Oliver or a Marco White, where your skills would be outstanding and could qualify for an O-1 visa? ....
I was thinking the same thing, because that is the only way that he'll get hired directly on a visa based on his ability as a chef.

... If not, then marriage sounds the way to go......
Yup! :nod:

Owen778 Nov 7th 2017 12:21 pm

Welcome to BE, Alex!

There are several of us here from Houston and its suburbs. If you do decide to get married, we can answer many of the questions you might have, though I imagine your girlfriend can do that too.

Alex505 Nov 7th 2017 12:24 pm

Thank you to all for your advice. Looks like it's time to start looking for an engagement ring, then :wink_smile:

jkeller Nov 7th 2017 4:31 pm

Have you ever thought about a college degree in the hospitality field? You would need a student visa.
https://www.uh.edu/hilton-college/

Pulaski Nov 7th 2017 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by jkeller (Post 12376937)
Have you ever thought about a college degree in the hospitality field? You would need a student visa. .....

And a boat load of money!

It still might be cheaper than acquiring a wife though! :lol:

Pulaski Nov 7th 2017 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Alex505 (Post 12376727)
Thank you to all for your advice. Looks like it's time to start looking for an engagement ring, then :wink_smile:

I look forward to seeing you over in the marriage-related visas forum soon then! :)

Look carefully at the differences between a fiancé and a marriage visa, and don't choose hastily.

Alex505 Nov 7th 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks, Owen778, jkeller, and Pulaski. I'm sure I'll be back - maybe in the marriage-related visa forum!

Thanks again, everyone :)

Pulaski Nov 7th 2017 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Alex505 (Post 12377096)
Thanks, Owen778, jkeller, and Pulaski. I'm sure I'll be back - maybe in the marriage-related visa forum!

Thanks again, everyone. ....

You're welcome, and good luck with whatever you decide. :)