Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Move to Florida (Miami)

Wikiposts

Move to Florida (Miami)

Old Dec 18th 2010, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Florida (Miami)

Originally Posted by airways
LOL, how bizarre.

Is there much of an exPat community in the Miami area? Anyone here in the area and any Florida/Miami specific gotchas I should be aware off?
There is a group that has regular meetups, I've just been too lazy to go.

I don't think there's anything particular to Florida you need to be aware of. But it's a shame no one can try it for a few months first, because living here is totally different to just visiting.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think your wife has been offered a great employment package; you will be able to work as well; you have no great emotional ties to the UK by the sounds of it; you have no school age children to worry about; no mortgage in the UK; sound a little despondent with UK living; and the weather in Florida is lovely most of the time

Sounds like you should take the plunge ......... What can you lose? You can always move back (or go to Europe where you have spent some time) if you find you don't like it.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I think your wife has been offered a great employment package; you will be able to work as well; you have no great emotional ties to the UK by the sounds of it; you have no school age children to worry about; no mortgage in the UK; sound a little despondent with UK living; and the weather in Florida is lovely most of the time

Sounds like you should take the plunge ......... What can you lose? You can always move back (or go to Europe where you have spent some time) if you find you don't like it.
I am starting to think that way as well! It does not help the butterflies in my stomach though which I guess is why I am looking for reassurance and understanding of any gotchas before we jump in!!

Everyones advice thus far has been great. Thanks! Please keep it coming.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I am starting to think that way as well! It does not help the butterflies in my stomach though which I guess is why I am looking for reassurance and understanding of any gotchas before we jump in!!

Everyones advice thus far has been great. Thanks! Please keep it coming.
Having a larger income (larger than most) helps a lot, you'll find you'll be able to live quite nicely on it, especially with home prices the way they are.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Easier to sell in the UK. I don't know how hard it would be to do the importation, there might be information on the BATFE site. The federal rules for possession of firearms by aliens with non-immigrant visas are found at 18 U.S.C. Section 922 (y): link

Edited to add: importation is done via ATF Form 6. FAQs here: link
And besides, you can get much better guns here....I wouldn't bother bringing neutered UK items - sell them and get more you get here

Last edited by Dan725; Dec 20th 2010 at 2:17 am.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, how bizarre.

Is there much of an exPat community in the Miami area? Anyone here in the area and any Florida/Miami specific gotchas I should be aware off?
The biggest potential Florida gotcha I can think of is the Hurricane potential. Just something to consider when buying property etc - insurance can be very expensive depending on exactly where your house is. Also Miami is a big metro area...usual big city cautions apply - but no more so than anywhere else. On the whole though, there are plenty of worse places to live.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Religion I do struggle to understand. How exactly does it play a part different from the UK?
The main difference is that more people in the USA regularly go to church.

When I first got here I wasn't that aware of this fact. I could be talking to someone and then they mention they have to go because they need to be at church in an hour. If someone in the UK said this you'd probably be quite surprised and his nickname would probably be 'Jesus' (or some other hilarious, predictable one) to his mates.

Here it is just normal. I sometimes wonder how much of it is actually to do with religion though. To me it seems like each church (and there are lots to choose from) is it's own little community. People who go to a certain church will always try and do business with someone from the same church (ie - say you need a tree chopping down - you first ask if anyone from your church is a tree-surgeon). Each church is basically an extended family. This is my sweeping generalization anyway.

*** Other stuff..... (all done to death elsewhere but these are my 2 pet differences)

* A 'cook-out' = a BBQ. In most cases worry more about taking round food - rather than beer. Again this is a generalization but making sure there are enough 2 liter bottles of pop, different burger sauces & napkins seems to be way higher in the order of priorities - rather than 'will 12 cans of beer be enough between 8 guys'. In the UK a lot of guys start to get a bit worried if they only have 12 cans each. This may suit you well - just be aware of the potential difference.

* Gambling laws are different. If you use any UK betting accounts then a lot of them won't work over here - most notably Betfair. It may not be a big deal to you at all but it's surprising how many Brits take it for granted that you can put 2 quid on 'the horse with the big tail' on races like the Grand National. Here - Americans gather round to watch one of the big classic horse races and there isn't even a sweepstake going. They all get really into the race as well. A totally different mentality.

If I were you I'd move to Miami. Nothing ventured - nothing gained. Go for it.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

osgood will become famous soon enoughosgood will become famous soon enough

Do you know where your wife will be working,that is important for commuting/or living downtown...i like the grove,south beach but find miami itself..not my cuppa of tea.....
Old Dec 20th 2010, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Originally Posted by osgood
Do you know where your wife will be working,that is important for commuting/or living downtown...i like the grove,south beach but find miami itself..not my cuppa of tea.....
I do know, but can't remember! She goes there from the UK a fair bit and is familiar with the area so has been looking at areas no more than 30 minutes commute. Miami pines is another place we have been looking. Any thoughts on that?

I want somewhere that has easy access to the beach and eating etc but is a nice area with plenty of amenities. A pool of course is a must!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

osgood will become famous soon enoughosgood will become famous soon enough

That is a nice area,very latin,your between university of miami and key biscayne.which is beautiful and you can park your car right at the water's edge.............
Old Dec 20th 2010, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I do know, but can't remember! She goes there from the UK a fair bit and is familiar with the area so has been looking at areas no more than 30 minutes commute. Miami pines is another place we have been looking. Any thoughts on that?

I want somewhere that has easy access to the beach and eating etc but is a nice area with plenty of amenities. A pool of course is a must!
I think Miami Pines is part of Coral Gables. Mostly it's nice down there, but it's right next to some awful neighbourhoods. You'll find that's the norm in the US.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:14 am
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

My Miami driving test lasted 3 1/2 minutes.

There are a lot of great areas in Miami, right next to a lot of bad ones.

I would suggest trying to learn some Spanish, it helps.

I lived in Miami for 7 years and I was there last month, love the cuban food.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fsm
My Miami driving test lasted 3 1/2 minutes.

There are a lot of great areas in Miami, right next to a lot of bad ones.

I would suggest trying to learn some Spanish, it helps.

I lived in Miami for 7 years and I was there last month, love the cuban food.
He aprendido un poco de español como he estado trabajando en España desde hace unos años!

I got a google overlay that colour codes the good and bad areas around Miami which is what we have been using to find places that we like the look of. Having friends locally has also helped quite a bit as it seems quite a minefield!

I do love the Cuban culture and cuisine and being able to have easy access to would be quite exciting I think.

The really important thing for us is having somewhere nice to live. We are quite rigid in our requirements for this. Having had our fingers burnt many years ago when we moved to South Africa on a work assignment many years ago and being promised a nice apartment and ending up with a flop house we know that where you live and the quality of the accomodation is a big factor in how you settle in.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:42 am
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Spain Spanish is a little different to Latin American Spanish but you will have no problems.

The commute can be a pain at times, I used to work in Downtown Miami and live 5 miels from the Metrorail, it would take me about 25 minutes to get to the train and then 20mins to get to work, if I drove to work it usually took around 55 mins, on a Saturday it was a 20 minute drive.

I agree with it being a minefield, I lived in Kendall which was a reasonable area.

There is a dive of a cuban place on Bird road, I was there twice last month , even though I had not been there in about a year the waiter still recognised me.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The really important thing for us is having somewhere nice to live. We are quite rigid in our requirements for this. Having had our fingers burnt many years ago when we moved to South Africa on a work assignment many years ago and being promised a nice apartment and ending up with a flop house we know that where you live and the quality of the accomodation is a big factor in how you settle in.
Can you scout areas first, or perhaps rent until you find the area you want to live in?

Coral Gables is nice, but there are places further north that are less busy. Everyone tells me South Broward is nice, but I don't live there!