Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Move to Florida from California

Move to Florida from California

Old Jan 12th 2024, 3:40 am
Just Joined

victorjessie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to Florida from California

I have a potential dream job in Florida - I love California and don't want to move - who has made the move and how did it go? Flying down there this afternoon for the Final round of interviews. thoughts....

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 12th 2024 at 11:19 am.
Old Jan 12th 2024, 11:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Florida from California

Welcome to BE.

As the thread you originally posted in is an old thread and Symon hasn’t been back for 8 mths, I have moved your post into a new thread. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old Jan 12th 2024, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Pierre_Tete is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by victorjessie
I have a potential dream job in Florida - I love California and don't want to move - who has made the move and how did it go? Flying down there this afternoon for the Final round of interviews. thoughts....
Well I did the opposite. I lived in Florida for 25 years and moved to California 3 years ago for family reasons. How much time have you spent in FL? Let's just say it's very different to Cali. And there isn't just one Florida - south FL is quite different to the panhandle for example. The best and worst thing about FL is the coast. For a while I had a condo on the gulf with a boat dock outside my kitchen window. Taking the boat out for a sunset cruise was simply magical, and you can boat 12 months of the year. But then there are the evacuations and flooding in the hurricane season and insurance issues and a nagging worry that one day your home might get smashed up beyond repair so that's why the coast is home to so many wealthy second home owners who have somewhere else to live in the event of a major hurricane. Interior FL is much safer but steamy hot and only good for reptiles. It's not as magical as being close to the ocean, but if you're on a lake it can be nice. I did that for many years too. As I get older (I'm near retirement now) my tolerance for heat (and cold) is decreasing so I don't actually consider FL a good place to retire (unlike many). The northern parts get quite cool in the winter though. Central FL is the dividing line where it only freezes a few days. South FL never freezes. But it's all the same in the summer with tropical humidity everywhere (dew points in the mid 70's) with regular thunderstorms (if you like dramatic weather it's great - I find the weather in SoCal quite boring lol). I had a great job and enjoyed my time there. 30 years ago it was so laughably cheap that I asked my wife 'something must be wrong with this place why is it so cheap?' (snarky Brit replies about what's wrong with FL are welcome.....😊) . Now it's probably above the national average in home prices (south FL much more so) and its much more crowded in the central and southern parts. There are still quiet places in the central and northern parts.
Where will you be working?
Old Jan 14th 2024, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Given the decline of CA and FL politics, both are lovely but only for short stays/vacations. If you have buckets of cash I would find a nice part of CA and stay there.