Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Move from Florida but where to?

Move from Florida but where to?

Old Jun 1st 2020, 2:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move from Florida but where to?

Originally Posted by civilservant
Not something that I would ever consider doing. The 6 hour one way drive to Myrtle Beach is more than enough for me come the end!
Six hours? Are you including meal stops? .... You could drive from Atlanta to Myrtle Beach in six hours.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 2:35 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

We're only an hour outside of ATL

5hrs 11mins from door to door according to Google.

But yes, we usually stop to use the roadside ablusions or a quick MCD rest stop. By the time we get onto the main road into MB (501), we're usually very ready to get out of the car.

Last edited by civilservant; Jun 1st 2020 at 2:37 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 3:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Not something that I would ever consider doing. The 6 hour one way drive to Myrtle Beach is more than enough for me come the end!
I understand, having driven to Orlando three times. I now have the route broken down now into four x 2-2½hr legs, with stops for breakfast, lunch, cheaper gas before crossing into Florida, and dinner, though it's been a couple of years since we last did that, and it won't be at least before 2021 that we'd do it again.
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
From the centre of Mount Pleasant to Tryon, NC which is more or less where the mountains start, the route is almost entirely interstate and would take about 3½ hours, which I think is a journey that some Americans would take for a day trip - set out at 7am, drive for an hour or so, breakfast at Waffle House, continue the journey and arrive in the mountains around 11am-12 noon. Then spend a few hours hiking or hanging out, set out to return around 4pm, dinner at Applebee's on the way back, and arrive home around 9pm.
Obscenely long distance day trips seem to be an American thing, when staying with the in-laws near Laurens, SC I have suffered day trips to Mt Airy, NC; Charleston, SC and Nashville, TN (that one was a doozy!!) among others.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I understand, having driven to Orlando three times. I now have the route broken down now into four x 2-2½hr legs, with stops for breakfast, lunch, cheaper gas before crossing into Florida, and dinner, though it's been a couple of years since we last did that, and it won't be at least before 2021 that we'd do it again.
I almost love the drive up from Sarasota to Laurens, admittedly it makes for a long day when one does a 10hr drive after an 8hr day building in Florida summer humidity! But auto transmissions, cruise control and hitting the interstates and/or back roads at the right time of day make it a damn sight more bearable drive than the long slog up the M5/M6/A6 from Devon to the Cairngorms.