British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Move from Florida but where to? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/move-florida-but-where-932743/)

Milton girl May 18th 2020 3:51 am

Move from Florida but where to?

22 years in Florida and we not enjoying anymore.....too much traffic and getting worse ......too much building......new sub divisions and apartment blocks.
I hate to say it but folks are just not as friendly. Summers way too hot! Our dilemma is where do we go to ? Heavy snow and long cold winters is a no no for my husband. Texas born and likes to be warm. Anybody any suggestions? Anybody left Florida and found a place they love more?

civilservant May 18th 2020 11:19 am

Re: Move from Florida but where to?

This question is so broad. It depends on work situation, finances, requirement for access to transport hubs, do you want beaches or inland, what is your tolerance for weather variations and extreme weather etc etc

Can you give some more detail?

ddsrph May 18th 2020 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Milton girl (Post 12854563)
22 years in Florida and we not enjoying anymore.....too much traffic and getting worse ......too much building......new sub divisions and apartment blocks.
I hate to say it but folks are just not as friendly. Summers way too hot! Our dilemma is where do we go to ? Heavy snow and long cold winters is a no no for my husband. Texas born and likes to be warm. Anybody any suggestions? Anybody left Florida and found a place they love more?

Check out Tennessee. Mild four season climate, low taxes, and low cost of living overall a great place to live.

carcajou May 18th 2020 11:58 am

Yes, Seattle. I wouldn't classify it as a "cold" winter (maybe 0-10 degrees) and though it is rainy, it rarely snows, maybe a major snow once every five years. I left Florida some time ago, though spending about the same number of years there as you, and I left for many of the same reasons you cited. I'm not in the United States anymore, but unrelated to any dissatisfaction. I quite enjoyed living in Seattle.

You may find a place like Pensacola more to your liking.

If I was to come back - I think a place in the mid-South like Nashville would be interesting, or somewhere between Savannah and Wilimington NC.

Honestly I don't think Texas would be a bad place to look, like San Antonio. Or somewhere on either side of Texas like Baton Rouge or Albuquerque.

civilservant May 18th 2020 11:59 am

You may find a place like Pensacola more to your liking.

....... or somewhere between Savannah and Wilimington NC.

Honestly I don't think Texas would be a bad place to look, or somewhere like Baton Rouge......
Clearly you're a fan of hurricanes! :nod:

Winston_the_Great_Dane May 18th 2020 12:35 pm

My wife and I always liked the look of NC (family made us gravitate to Ohio). NC Winters not horrible, but summers not too oppressive. Asheville is beautiful, but pricey.

I have two pairs of friends who retired to TN and are both very happy.

carcajou May 18th 2020 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12854672)
Clearly you're a fan of hurricanes! :nod:

I've been in about two dozen. Generally they are more bark than bite. I was in Hurricane Andrew and that was ferocious. Anything that is mid-Category 3 or less doesn't bother me. When they get to a strong Category 3, that is when they start to get my attention. But that is how often? Anywhere you go there are natural disasters waiting.

Jerseygirl May 18th 2020 2:17 pm

We were caught up in a Tornado in NJ...that was bad enough,

Moses2013 May 19th 2020 8:34 pm

If retired Lago Maggiore looks decent enough and it still seems to have some cheap spots.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...abf7e8d57f.jpg
My personal favourite Spanish Wild Coast and a few mins inland a lot quiter but the coast is still stunning.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...9723fcd175.jpg
Isles of Scilly another option but maybe too remote and pricey
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...07455048c8.jpg

Milton girl May 19th 2020 9:57 pm

Thank you. Europe would be on my list definitely but my husband wants to remain in the USA.
Colorado, North and South Carolina and Tennessee been discussed. Anyone out there moved to any of these from Florida and can say `best thing we ever did`

Noorah101 May 19th 2020 10:05 pm

My sister lived in Florida (Daytona Beach) for many, many years. Then she moved around the USA a bit and settled in South Carolina (Greenville/Spartanburg area) and likes it much better than Florida.

Rene

Rete May 20th 2020 12:40 am

Stay in Florida for now. When the virus is contained and travel is safe, vacation across the country and discover where you might like to live. You know what your criteria is so wiki various regions and states and look for a place that seems like a good fit and then vacation there for a few weeks.

Giantaxe May 20th 2020 3:56 am

If I ever moved from San Francisco, New Mexico (but not Albuquerque) would be pretty much the only state I'd consider at this point. Too much of the US is a climatological and/or political wasteland for my tastes to consider. Obviously, many disagree!

carcajou May 20th 2020 12:13 pm

I have heard good things about Las Cruces.

Giantaxe May 20th 2020 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12855635)
I have heard good things about Las Cruces.

I liked Las Cruces, but I would probably choose Santa Fe or Taos.