Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Move to California from London

Move to California from London

Old Apr 28th 2013, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to California from London

Originally Posted by Dillinger
thanks for the insight golden. although an uninsured hospital admitee may not end up bankrupt the payment arrangements will be lifelong on the figure that you have mentioned?

from the sounds of it health care trumps all (to quote another user from another thread) I wouldnt dream of moving the family to the USA and putting their future in jeopardy by not having insurance due to expense (and then paying for it via payment plan for yrs to come) but equally it seems way to expensive (unless employers pay - which wouldnt apply if self employed). not sure where im going with this now... i think what im trying to say is it just sounds unreasonable to pay for health care - probably just me as never really considered it before. Also the lack of time of if employed by company seems pretty low.
To be honest, you might be a bit unrealistic in your expectations of getting a big, beautiful house for peanuts, too.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Presumably you're going to have to pay back a fair bit of that money though.
Thats another story that needs its own thread. Put it this way everything I was always led to believe about the US health service and the 'system' and the dangers of not being insured are no longer the same beliefs i had previously .
Old Apr 28th 2013, 11:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice re visa/sponsorship, business, houses is appreciated.
Start by reading this thread: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA and see which visa route works for you. As others have said, your uncle can't sponsor you for a family-based visa. Your idea of getting transferred with a UK company to a US branch could work, and that should also help with the cost of health insurance (employer would cover some of it), and could also lead to a green card, if that's what you have in mind.

Rene
Old Apr 29th 2013, 12:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
Thats another story that needs its own thread. Put it this way everything I was always led to believe about the US health service and the 'system' and the dangers of not being insured are no longer the same beliefs i had previously .
There is a neighbour who has had a few trips on the air ambulance, shame they do not give air miles she would be a Platinum Member.

She is also pretty skint, certainly nothing there for any company to consider Bankruptcy, can not get blood out of a stone.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:18 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Homes are cheap in Fresno due to the fact its a god awful hole and everyone is moving away, it is one of the most violent and dangerous cities in the US..I used to got there weekly on business.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:29 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Bankruptcy in very very extremely rare cases. Of the tens of thousands admitted to hospital without insurance my son included. How many times has anybody been bankrupted from a hospital. Most if not nearly all hospitals will accept payment arrsngements. A hospital will only want to go the bankruptcy route if you have tens of thousands of dollars in the bank and are refusing to pay your hospital bills. My theory isnt based on rumors its based on my first hand experience of the usa hospital system. Where our bill so far has exceeded 600, 000 dollar's! !!! And still counting! ! And no our health insurance did not cover hospital stays. Most health insurance companies would like you to believe a hospital will bankrupt you for obvious reasons but it is mostly not the case.
I though medical bills were the #1 cause of personal bankruptcy?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pf_article_109143.html
Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:34 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All!

Just joined the forum after seeing some good threads re UK to Cali move.

Im also interested in making this move. I have alot of family in USA - Dallas, NYC, and Cali. Reason for the move is to achieve a better lifestyle. So want nice weather and a big house which in the UK is impossible. From looking at house prices on realtor.com (dont know if thats a good site?) they dont seem that bad at all for what you are getting. The area iv been looking in is Fresno - I read someone mention Fresno in another thread and hinted it isnt a great area? For $400k $450k there are some beautifull places for sale, anything similar in London would run into the millions of £.
Thanks
Comparing London with Fresno is like comparing NYC with Doncaster.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Comparing London with Fresno is like comparing NYC with Doncaster.
That's doing Doncaster a disfavour. I'm hard pressed to think of anywhere in the UK that could be compared to Fresno. Moss Side, maybe.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 2:00 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I though medical bills were the #1 cause of personal bankruptcy?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pf_article_109143.html
What statistic from the figure given is voluntary as opposed to being sued in a court for non payment of medical bills?
Old Apr 29th 2013, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

What statistic from the figure given is voluntary as opposed to being sued in a court for non payment of medical bills?
You do understand why people declare bankruptcy don't you?
Old Apr 29th 2013, 2:36 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Bankruptcy in very very extremely rare cases. Of the tens of thousands admitted to hospital without insurance my son included. How many times has anybody been bankrupted from a hospital. Most if not nearly all hospitals will accept payment arrsngements. A hospital will only want to go the bankruptcy route if you have tens of thousands of dollars in the bank and are refusing to pay your hospital bills. My theory isnt based on rumors its based on my first hand experience of the usa hospital system. Where our bill so far has exceeded 600, 000 dollar's! !!! And still counting! ! And no our health insurance did not cover hospital stays. Most health insurance companies would like you to believe a hospital will bankrupt you for obvious reasons but it is mostly not the case.
One of my colleagues was made bankrupt after the hospital went after her for costs. She was at a family BBQ sat in a lawnchair when she was shot in the ankle by a drive-by initiation ceremony. The crazy thing is she didn't arrange a payment plan, as she was put intouch with a charity at the hospital, who covers the cost of gangland shootings. The charity took so long to pay out, the hospital went after her for the costs instead. 15 years later she is still in a terrible financial state because of it.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 3:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
That's doing Doncaster a disfavour. I'm hard pressed to think of anywhere in the UK that could be compared to Fresno. Moss Side, maybe.
Fresno seems very multicultural.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Who do you think pays for the bill you and others cannot pay?
Old Apr 29th 2013, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Homes are cheap in Fresno due to the fact its a god awful hole and everyone is moving away, it is one of the most violent and dangerous cities in the US..I used to got there weekly on business.
Yep that about sums Fresno up. On the times I have had to go there for work I have always made a point of staying a good 40-50 miles away from Fresno itself. Not much better but have to try. Plus Fresno is stuck in the middle of the Central Valley in CA - a god awful over heated semi desert. Would not be my choice of places to go to voluntarily.

I Google'd Fresno and found this excellent summary of why not to live there. Not trying to be smart but if your coming from somewhere like London, Fresno will seem incredibly parochial:

http://happiestbabyintheworld.wordpr...ove-to-fresno/

Last edited by vikingsail; Apr 29th 2013 at 5:32 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

JBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really nice

My health insurance for my family is a $11,000.00 a year deduction from my paycheck. That obviously does not include the Co pay that you have to pay everytime you see a doctor. These Co-Pays vary all over the place. Then you obviously have prescription costs which are dramatically higher in most cases than what you pay in the UK. You can get some $4 prescriptions. In my case (I have RA as an early 40year old) my prescriptions cost approx $100 if I purchase here in the US. I order some in from Canada to help reduce the cost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.