Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

move to Atlanta ..questions Questions ??

move to Atlanta ..questions Questions ??

Old Dec 7th 2012, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Mainy1129 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default move to Atlanta ..questions Questions ??

Hi Folks

My company are close to offering me a role in North Atlanta

I have an array of questions and this may be pushed through really quick so Im now in Panic mode.

Any help would be much appreciated

I have 4 children aged 7 months, 12years, 15 years and 17 years

We are looking at somewhere we can commute in to Atlanta Metro within an hour, we are used to a house in Peak district but are happy to move somewhere less rural but not City, have looked at Suwanee?? thoughts on this?

My older daughters want to study so I need to knnow best option for getting fees lower, on the L2 visa are they classed as overseas students?

Does anyone know average cost of living for family of 6?

I have so many more questions but its a start

Best Wishes

C
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: move to Atlanta ..questions Questions ??

I'm about an hour up I985 from Suwannee. From what I can see, it's quite a good area with lots of shopping/restaurants available. You also have the Mall of Georgia on your doorstep which, apart from the shops, has a cinema and an Imax theatre. You're not too far out to go into the ATL for a show or concert, either.

Where I live (between Cornelia and Toccoa) is more rural and is classed as the foothill of the Great smokey Mountains. From Suwannee, it's not bad to get out into the hills!

It's just the two of us, so I can't speak for the cost of living for you, but GA is reasonable compared to a lot of the country.

One thing to consider if the commute is into Atlanta. I85 is VERY busy most of the time, especially during rush hour. There is a toll express lane that replaced the HOV lane recently through Gwinnett County. The rate varies according to traffic and can be as low as a few cents up to $8-10 one way and can only be used if you have pre-purchased a 'Peach Pass'. HOV 3+ people are free if you have the pass.

Ask anything and I'll try to answer. Feel free to PM me if you need to.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Check out city-data.com for more area specific info, you can search on the forums there for the areas you are interested in.

Make sure you have in writing that your company will pay for and pursue green cards for you at the earliest opportunity otherwise your child (particularly the 17 year old would be the most pressing concern) will age out on their visa and not be eligible to stay after age 21 unless they are able to qualify for some other visa.
Read this thread for more info: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=615813

Have you visited the area and driven on the interstates surrounding Atlanta? the traffic is grim at the best of times and I would consider carefully whether you really want to be commuting more than you have to.

Not sure about cost of living really, are you willing to say what salary and benefits (health insurance?)they are offering you? Try and negotiate to keep your UK annual leave if you can as vacation time here tends to be a lot less.

As for college, you might want to start another thread about that for more specific answers from others who have moved with older teens. There may be issues with recognising UK High school qualifications also, but others here can help you with that. A community college for the first two years might be your best bet, it's very cheap. If your kids work hard and get good scores on the university entrance tests such as the SAT and ACT then they will be able to apply for scholarships.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Folks much appriciated

If the green card is applied for when she hits 22 would she be considered to stay on this basis?

Yes I hear the commute is bad!

My salary is about $110,000 husband will be $50,000 later in year, we get health insurance

C
Old Dec 7th 2012, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mainy1129
Thanks Folks much appriciated

If the green card is applied for when she hits 22 would she be considered to stay on this basis?

Yes I hear the commute is bad!

My salary is about $110,000 husband will be $50,000 later in year, we get health insurance

C
Once your daughter reaches 21 on her current visa I believe she will age out (but someone else correct me if I'm wrong) and won't be able to remain here beyond that age, her best bet is to get a green card as part of your families application while she is still a minor.
You need to be applying as as soon as possible once you arrive as it can take a couple of years (or more, or less) depending on various factors for the green card application to be processed.

Salary sounds ok to me, but others may disagree Is insurance over and above that?
Old Dec 7th 2012, 6:25 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends (in terms of where to live) what you want for the family, do you want to be close to amenities, or prefer to live somewhere more rural? There are plenty of minor cities just outside of ATL that are nice depending on how far you're prepared to drive.

I would agree with the I-85 disaster comments, the whole of the road system in ATL is pretty much a disaster, although if you are prepared to commute to somewhere such as Chamblee, Doraville or North Springs you can always park and use the MARTA. Of course being right on top of the busiest airport in the world means you will always have easy access to anywhere via air.

Last edited by civilservant; Dec 7th 2012 at 6:27 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 9:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No.

Rene
Old Jan 11th 2013, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

claireUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we moved here in 2005 and LOVE the Atlanta suburbs. Great place to live and work. <snip the spammy stuff>

Last edited by Bob; Jan 11th 2013 at 7:12 pm. Reason: Might want to read up on site rules before spamming threads, though given benefit of the doubt.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

davidsizer is an unknown quantity at this point

ATL is great. I lived in Buckhead for almost 2 years. Great central location, plenty of great things to do and easy access to the MARTA for down town. Its naturally more pricier than the burbs, but as a place to get you going whilst you figure things out - i would suggest you rent a condo/town home here to get you going.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree live close to where you are going to be working , Atlanta traffic can be a b!tch most days
Old Jan 24th 2013, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by davidsizer
ATL is great. I lived in Buckhead for almost 2 years. Great central location, plenty of great things to do and easy access to the MARTA for down town. Its naturally more pricier than the burbs, but as a place to get you going whilst you figure things out - i would suggest you rent a condo/town home here to get you going.
Thanks hopefully we are going to do a visit soon before the move to look at some areas but Buckhead is also one I have heard to be family friendly, would you agree? We have lived very rural for 7 years so my teens want to be in a community as they have struggled with being miles from the nearest neighbour, I think being in a community will hopefully help them make friends
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:07 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks hopefully we are going to do a visit soon before the move to look at some areas but Buckhead is also one I have heard to be family friendly, would you agree? We have lived very rural for 7 years so my teens want to be in a community as they have struggled with being miles from the nearest neighbour, I think being in a community will hopefully help them make friends
Buckhead is v expensive. I imagine a lot of the kids go to private schools.

Your kids would probably like the northern suburbs a lot better for schools and making friends. Try to not go out too far because of the awful traffic, but obviously the closer in you are the more expensive the housing. I lived there for five years and loved it.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mallory
Buckhead is v expensive. I imagine a lot of the kids go to private schools.

Your kids would probably like the northern suburbs a lot better for schools and making friends. I lived there for five years and loved it.
Thanks, which area did you live? Any recommendations on those Northern Suburbs for good areas?
Old Jan 25th 2013, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

TheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud of

OP, whereabouts will you be working? I live in Suwanee and work in Norcross, so my commute is very straightforward. Unless I have to visit a customer downtown or go to the airport I stay the hell away from I-85.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Buckhead is in my opinion more of a young persons place than a family spot. Me and the TAS have recently moved out of Buckhead so we have more space for Mini-chog when it arrives. We're renting just ITP (inside the 285) round Sandy Springs and looking at buying something in the north suburbs later int he year because apparently thats where the better school districts are
Lx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.