Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Move to atlanta metro area

Move to atlanta metro area

Old Jun 20th 2016, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Beckyboos1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to atlanta metro area

Hi ..i recieved some fantastic information from this site so i thought while i was gathering info i would ask the question of recommendations fora house with good schools. Children being 4, 7 ,9 and 14. I am white british my husband is mix race and so are all of our children. I have had a look (quite like woodstock) i would appreciate any experienced input.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to atlanta metro area

Woodstock is in Cherokee County so you need to look at the school district website to gain information on their schools.

School attendance is based on geographical zones, so if you want a particular school you must ensure that you get housing within that school's zone.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Do you know any of these areas pros cons? Will look at school district i think its cherokee and cobb from what ive seen so far just looking at properties.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 6:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I always point people towards Zillow.com to look for houses. Why? Because at the end they list the schools in that catchment area and they give the ratings for the school.

It is also suggested that instead of purchasing immediately (particularly as you will have NO credit rating in the US for the mortgage company to base your interest rate on) you rent for a period of time. Six months or a year and then find a house in the area that you want to be living in long term.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Yes i noticed that..id be intrested to hear peoples opinions of that are from the uk. My hubby has family around area but they have always lived there.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 6:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

This is my personal opinion and what I have observed on mixed marriages. It seems to be far better accepted in the south and in large metropolitan areas. I'm moving to Mississippi tomorrow and mixed relationships are everywhere and no one gives a darn.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
This is my personal opinion and what I have observed on mixed marriages. It seems to be far better accepted in the south and in large metropolitan areas. I'm moving to Mississippi tomorrow and mixed relationships are everywhere and no one gives a darn.
Thats good! My children are all mixed ..one of them doesnt look it with her blue eyes and blonde hair but they have never experienced any form of racism i dont want them ever too. This is a small but important factor..ive heard things about canton is it but houses are beautiful. Just want a nice safe neighbourhood where my kids can go.out and play. Something that isnt really possible where we are from in england
Old Jun 20th 2016, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Becky,
a good school district is important but in Atlanta (as in most major metropolitan areas) so is the commute to and from work.
I have colleagues who live in Canton, Woodstock and Cherokee areas and our office is at 75 & 285 (approx. 20 miles) and they bitch about a 1 1/2 hour one way drive, but the schools are very good.
You can't have your cake and eat it
Old Jun 21st 2016, 12:58 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience, that advice seems a little odd, and may be giving the OP a false sense of optimism.

In short, there are areas where people do "give a darn". Hopefully the OP can find an area where she and her family feel comfortable.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 21st 2016 at 1:01 am.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 1:42 am
Concierge

I said it was my personal opinion. My daughter's neighborhood in MS has absolutely no problem with mixed marriages and bi-racial children. The same with my neighbors in MS several of whom are of black/white heritage. My husband first wife was a Native American as are all three of his children and he is English/Irish descent. His niece who is also NA is married to a black man and their children are bi-racial. They nor their children have ever encountered bullying because of their bi-racial heritage. And they live in Florida.

I know it is frowned upon in the small city in Massachusetts that a dear friend lives in. I've seen a great change in the attitude of Americans for mixed marriages over the last 30 years. It is not like it was in the 60's and 70's. Small towns in the Midwest might have problems with it but honestly don't think large metropolitan cities will be a problem.

The OP is moving to a southern state, Georgia. And I responded with my opinion and personal experiences.

I didn't tell her it would be a cake walk. Sorry if your experiences in rural NC are different then mine. Hope you weren't on the receiving end of it.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 2:08 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I said it was my personal opinion. My daughter's neighborhood in MS has absolutely no problem with mixed marriages and bi-racial children. The same with my neighbors in MS several of whom are of black/white heritage. My husband first wife was a Native American as are all three of his children and he is English/Irish descent. His niece who is also NA is married to a black man and their children are bi-racial. They nor their children have ever encountered bullying because of their bi-racial heritage. And they live in Florida.

I know it is frowned upon in the small city in Massachusetts that a dear friend lives in. I've seen a great change in the attitude of Americans for mixed marriages over the last 30 years. It is not like it was in the 60's and 70's. Small towns in the Midwest might have problems with it but honestly don't think large metropolitan cities will be a problem.

The OP is moving to a southern state, Georgia. And I responded with my opinion and personal experiences.

I didn't tell her it would be a cake walk. Sorry if your experiences in rural NC are different then mine. Hope you weren't on the receiving end of it.
I think someone, anyone reading what you wrote" ".... It seems to be far better accepted in the south ....", would take that as a blanket assurance that all is sweetness and light when it comes to race relations in The South, and that is certainly how Beckyboos seems to have taken your post.

I have only limited experience of Mississippi, but I live in one of the most liberal states in The South, and not way out in the boonies either. I see Confederate flags and bumper stickers on a daily basis, and I would guess that many more people are sympathetic but don't feel comfortable flying the Confederate flag.

There are several black families in my neighborhood, but they largely keep themselves to themselves. There is no hostility that I am aware of (in fact I am faily certain that there isn't, and I would be shocked if there was), but I wouldn't say there was a warm welcome either. One family decided to buy a pitbull, and that didn't go down too well with the neighbours, but they left the neighbourhood soon after.

I have no doubt that Beckyboos can find many neighbourhoods to choose from in the Atlanta area where she feels safe and comfortable, but there are perhaps equally many where she might find less of a welcome, or at least a strange silent tolerance rather than a warm welcome.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 21st 2016 at 2:13 am.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 3:09 am
Just Joined

Redrufus is an unknown quantity at this point

I am from England, living in Cumming Ga familiar with the area.

I agree with most of what is said. Basically the further north you go the less diverse the population is. There definitely is a racist element especially amongst people who grew up here (although by no means all of them). However there are a LOT of people moving to the area from all over the country (and world) so the idiots are in the minority. My daughter is mixed too and she does just fine.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 6:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks all..i dodnt think it woukd be the same as it is here. There are many interracial relationships and mixed kids and its just part of life. I just want them to feel excepted for who they are without colour being a factor..having an english accent is going to be enough. Thanks again for input. And still any areas anyone has personal experience good or bad arpund atlanta metro please feel free to give me some feed back. Thankyou
Old Jun 21st 2016, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I realise as a white person married to a white person I have very little exposure to these kinds of things, but it shocks me that mixed ethnicity marriage is still an issue in Western countries in 2016.

Just be with the person you love and treat them well and I'll be happy for you.

Becky, hope you find a suitable home in the US, good luck in your move.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 3:13 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by yellowroom
I realise as a white person married to a white person I have very little exposure to these kinds of things, but it shocks me that mixed ethnicity marriage is still an issue in Western countries in 2016.

Just be with the person you love and treat them well and I'll be happy for you.

Becky, hope you find a suitable home in the US, good luck in your move.
This is slowly dying out. interracial relationships are more accepted now than ever before in the US. Are they accepted everywhere and will you never meet up with prejudice, no. One of the reasons from my point of view is that my generation, those of us in your late 60's and older, where raised having social relationships with other races but we didn't have romantic relationships. It just wasn't done. Think of the play "Westside Story" and the song, "Stick With Your Own Kind." That is how our thoughts were. Is it right? Not in today's world but in my, yes it was. Do I look upon interracial relationships and bi-racial children with distaste? Not on your life. To each their own. It is not something I would ever have thought to do, become romantically involved with someone of a different race. It wasn't a prejudicial thought just the way it was. I had many personal friends of other races. They ate at my dinner table and me, at theirs. I just said goodbye and hugged and kissed a lovely black woman who has been my friend for neigh on 40 years.

Times have changed and acceptance is slow in coming in some areas, i.e. the states that harbor the KKK and Arian race supporters. But it is coming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.