Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

As the move approaches, new info keeps cropping up

As the move approaches, new info keeps cropping up

Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently Cheshire in UK but soon to be an Expat....
dfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud of
Default As the move approaches, new info keeps cropping up

So we are planning to move to Florida in January.
A career move for my wife and we have two young kids so not a retirement move.

As we keep getting into detail with our advisors we keep finding new info.
I won't be cleared for employment on my L2 visa for 90 days until I have applied for permission/clearance?

quote:
Spouses of L-1 individuals may make an application for employment authorization with USCIS once they are in the U.S. It generally takes 90 days to obtain the approval/Employment Authorization Card prior to working in the U.S.

Is it a given that I will get authorisation?

Our House.
It's up for sale, if we sell it before we move all well and good.
If we keep it empty until we sell it and it takes a while and we are then living in the US, Uncle Sam may want a share of the profits made for his tax funds.

If we rent it out again we will need to give uncle sam his share of the profits. as well as Her Majesty's taxman.

If we rent it and then love the USA so much that we sell it to buy in the USA Uncle Sam will definitely want to take a bite.

God it is a hard slog to do this move, both emotionally, practically and financially.. I hope its going to be worth it.

It's not that I've had 2nd thoughts, I think I am up to my 202nd thoughts!
Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:44 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As the move approaches, new info keeps cropping up

On the house - were you living in it in the UK? If you were then it was your main residence in the UK and you won't owe the UK any tax on its sale.
For the US - if you've lived in it for 2 out of the previous 5 years, then you have a $250k exclusion on the profit made on it ($500k for married couples) so unless you have made a massive gain on it, you shouldn't owe any tax on it either. The US value of the house is the price you sold it at (in USD at current xrate rate) minus the price you bought it at (in USD at the time of purchase) so it's the difference in USD between the bought and sold prices, rather than the profit in GBP converted into USD. As such, it's susceptible to xrate fluctuations so it may help or hinder.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently Cheshire in UK but soon to be an Expat....
dfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud of

Hi BInk,
Thanks thats useful info and if its just on the profit we should be ok, thanks for putting my mind at rest.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the L2, yes, once you arrive here you need to apply for an EAD, which generally takes about 90 days. As long as you fill in the paperwork correctly and provide them with the information they need, it will be granted. Mine took closer to 5 months to arrive though, the 90 days is not a hard deadline.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfrbrowne
Hi BInk,
Thanks thats useful info and if its just on the profit we should be ok, thanks for putting my mind at rest.
Oh, it is definitely just on the profit.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 3:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
Regarding the L2, yes, once you arrive here you need to apply for an EAD, which generally takes about 90 days. As long as you fill in the paperwork correctly and provide them with the information they need, it will be granted. Mine took closer to 5 months to arrive though, the 90 days is not a hard deadline.
But if it takes longer than 90 days, you can make a Infopass appointment for a stamp.

It's been taking closer to 60 days for some people at the moment it seems, but still best to budget for it taking 90 days.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
But if it takes longer than 90 days, you can make a Infopass appointment for a stamp.

It's been taking closer to 60 days for some people at the moment it seems, but still best to budget for it taking 90 days.
All infopass did for me was check the status of my request, which I could do myself online. I did submit an expedite request (cited financial hardship) and the EAD came through shortly afterwards but not sure if that was coincidence!
Old Oct 24th 2013, 4:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfrbrowne
As we keep getting into detail with our advisors we keep finding new info.
I won't be cleared for employment on my L2 visa for 90 days until I have applied for permission/clearance?

quote:
Spouses of L-1 individuals may make an application for employment authorization with USCIS once they are in the U.S. It generally takes 90 days to obtain the approval/Employment Authorization Card prior to working in the U.S.
After you arrive on the L-2, you will submit Form I-765 to USCIS, which is an application for Employment Authorization Document (EAD). It can take up to 90 days to get the EAD in hand. You won't be work authorized until you have the EAD in hand.

Is it a given that I will get authorisation?
Yes.

Rene
Old Oct 24th 2013, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

You can start job hunting the day that you arrive, you just can't start work until you have your EAD.

Unless you have a job lined up and waiting for you (or you are very lucky) it is probably going to take you at least a couple of months to actually get a job offer.