Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mount Vernon, Ohio/ Reston, Virginia

Mount Vernon, Ohio/ Reston, Virginia

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 7:29 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mount Vernon, Ohio/ Reston, Virginia

This site will give you more on the ground research re: Reston
http://www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/

but they also have an Ohio forum as well.

If the money is the same, then the money isn't the same. You'll be paying a premium to live in Reston.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 10:27 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Bax
Schooling is not much of an issue as we homeschool. Surprisingly, there is usually a stronger support network in the more rural areas as this is enforced by Geography and population density. But there are better forums that this to discuss that on, so I will leave it there.
Homeschooling is much more religiously driven in the US than in the UK, too, and it's in the "heartland" where you find the most profound religious observance (typically).
Old Apr 4th 2009, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Newark, OH, in the late 80s, and we used to go up to Mr. Vernon quite often. It is a typical small college town; Kenyon College is actually in Gambier, just outside to the east. I seem to remember that there was a smaller college, with the name of Nazarene, or something like that actually in Mt. Vernon. Housing did cost less than Newark, and certainly less than Columbus. If you like small towns and rural areas, I think that you would like it, as long as you can stand the winters. Best thing to do is to go and check it out though. Good luck.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 4:57 am
Just Joined

SnipsUK is a jewel in the roughSnipsUK is a jewel in the roughSnipsUK is a jewel in the roughSnipsUK is a jewel in the rough

I don't suppose you're a Rolls-Royce employee are you? I'm based out of Indianapolis now (previously worked for the company in the UK), and have been to/worked at the offices in Mt Vernon and Virginia.

In my opinion, it all depends on what sort of lifestyle you want to lead. Reston is a growing community, lots around the area, more of a social scene. Mt Vernon is in the middle of nowhere. Most people I know who work in Mt Vernon commute from Columbus, which is a cool city, but a bit of a drive away. As already pointed out, the cost of living in Mt Vernon is less than living in Virginia.