Reload this Page >

Motorcycle license Illinois

Motorcycle license Illinois

Old Jun 2nd 2019, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

johngrigg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Motorcycle license Illinois

Hi folks

Recently moved to Chicago form London and keen to get back on two (motorised) wheels as soon as possible! Especially now the good weather is coming.

I went to the DMV on Friday and obtained my Illinois driving license for car (class D). I have the temporary card and just waiting for the full one.

Here's my question..

Do I NEED to do the same thing again for my motorcycle licence? Is the 90 days validity thing the same for that? And, do I need to get my motorcycle licence before the 90 day mark because otherwise however I obtain a motorcycle for the test (rental, probably) I'll only have my UK licence which in theory isn't valid after 90 days!

Appreciate any thoughts and guidance!

For a bonus point... - Any US insurers that accept UK no claims proof?

Thanks all

John
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

johngrigg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Motorcycle license Illinois

ah, another question (sorry!)

I'm looking at hire companies and www.twistedroad.com seems great - similar to www.turo.com (which is kinda like Airbnb for cars). However, the site seems to imply that insurance is for the person, not the bike. Is that true? So I get motorcycle insurance and then i'm cleared to ride any bike? How does this work in practice?

Thanks again for any help
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Car and Motorbike licenses will have the same requirements. I am not familiar with how long new residents have to obtain a license in your State.

Insurance, best to check with your Insurer.
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 3:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

On paper you have the same 90 days (I am assuming that you have correctly stated the IL requirements), but you are unlikely to have an issue so long as you are "using your best endeavors" to get your license ASAP, and especially if you are in the process of preparing for the test for your license.

In practice the US is usually much more forgiving of running over the permitted time to get a local license than you would expect in the UK, and based on reports I have seen, US cops either don't know their own state's licensing regs, (or have quoted the time frame before the police will show any interest, i.e. much longer than the state DMV regs say), or simply don't seem to care if you have an out of state/ non-US license despite ostensibly being resident locally, presumably because it will create a $4!t-load of paperwork for them. That said, all bets are off if you get caught/ accused of something more major, such as drunk driving or causing an accident, in which case the matter of the validity of your license will be included when they throw the book at you!