British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Motorcycle licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/motorcycle-licence-849191/)

ed_ Dec 19th 2014 3:29 pm

Motorcycle licence

I am moving to Washington, DC in April next year.

I would like to try and get a motorcycle license whilst I am out there. Does anyone know the requirements to take a test if I only hold a UK drivers licence?

All help is welcome

Hotscot Dec 19th 2014 3:33 pm

Re: Motorcycle licence

Look what came up first using The Google All Purpose Olde Tyme Enquiry Engine:)

Washington DC Motorcycle License - Handbooks, Requirements at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

(Under what circumstances are you moving to the U.S?)

ed_ Dec 19th 2014 3:44 pm

Thanks for that. I had already seen it but I wanted to know if I would have to take another driving license or if I would be able to add it to my British License!
Of course I am looking for the most simple option.

We are moving with my wife's work

Hotscot Dec 19th 2014 3:52 pm

Don't suppose you read it?

'In order to operate a motorcycle in DC, you must obtain from the Department of Motor Vehicles a motorcycle endorsement on your regular driver's license. You may not ride a motorcycle without first having a regular DC driver's license."

ed_ Dec 19th 2014 4:07 pm

seems like a bit of a ball ache then!
thought there would be a slightly easier way if I already had a valid British Driving License

Hotscot Dec 19th 2014 4:12 pm

So you didn't read it then? Pretty clear...

Never mind...just concentrate on getting your DC license as soon as you can. It'll be easy peasy...

Bob Dec 19th 2014 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11507999)
So you didn't read it then?

Never mind...just concentrate on getting your DC license as soon as you can. It'll be easy peasy...

And once you see how easy that was and the level of driving, it might put you off driving a bike :lol:

Pulaski Dec 19th 2014 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by ed_ (Post 11507997)
seems like a bit of a ball ache then!
thought there would be a slightly easier way if I already had a valid British Driving License

I think you may be the first immigrant ever to the US who has complained that obtaining a US license is difficult! :blink:

materialcontroller Dec 20th 2014 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11508095)
I think you may be the first immigrant ever to the US who has complained that obtaining a US license is difficult! :blink:

Apart from the ones who can't drive already obviously. Or the ones who do but have still failed a test in the US (it does happen).

Hotscot Dec 21st 2014 6:06 pm

There are very few, if any, valid complaints relating to difficulty.

Anyone complaining about that would have equal difficulty tying their laces.

Pulaski Dec 21st 2014 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by materialcontroller (Post 11508473)
Apart from the ones who can't drive already obviously. .....

Based on my observations, not being able to drive is no bar to obtaining a drivers license in the US! :lol: