British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   motorcycle licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/motorcycle-licence-773999/)

strath Oct 8th 2012 2:54 pm

motorcycle licence

Hi, i am going back and forth to north carolina on my esta, while i wait for my k1 visa, doe,s anyone know how i can get a motorcycle endorsement for the state using my uk driving license, as the dmv in asheville wont let me take my NC driving test until i am a resident. i can drive a car using my uk licence, or a scooter, but i would dearly love to ride a motorcycle legally in a wonderful state. regards strath

Rete Oct 8th 2012 3:01 pm

Re: motorcycle licence

Do you have a motorcycle endorsement on your UK License? If so that is all you need. It is all a Canadian requires as a visitor to the US to drive a bike.

TimNiceBut Oct 8th 2012 3:08 pm

UK motorcycle endorsement works fine, too, it doesn't have to be a Canadian one :D.

Most DMVs will not give you a drivers license if you're there under the VWP so you'll have to wait until you're in on an immigrant visa.

As a somewhat off-topic aside, I would strongly recommend you take the MSF course if NC accepts that in lieu of a driving test for motorcycles. I did that when I got my NV license and even though I've been riding a lot before moving over here, I did learn quite a lot in that course. Especially about the bad habits I picked up...

strath Oct 8th 2012 3:18 pm

dmv in asheville told me to get an international driving license,then do a motorcycle course, but i would still have to do the written test, they wont accept a uk endorsement. regards strath

TimNiceBut Oct 8th 2012 3:31 pm

I thought you wanted to be able to ride before you became a resident, correct? For that you need a foreign license, preferably combined with the international driving license.

Most of us who emigrated to the US had to retake all their driving tests, there are a handful of states who will issue a license based on your foreign license.

md95065 Oct 8th 2012 4:25 pm

Whatever you do, make sure that you have adequate insurance before even thinking of getting on a motorcycle in the US. If you were thinking of riding one belonging to a friend then make sure that you will actually be covered and what the limit of that coverage is.

Bob Oct 8th 2012 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by strath (Post 10319941)
dmv in asheville told me to get an international driving license,then do a motorcycle course, but i would still have to do the written test, they wont accept a uk endorsement. regards strath

The IDP isn't worth bothering with, unless your license isn't in English.

If you're riding while on holiday, which you are if you're on the VWP, English license is fine.

When you get what you need to take the test, probably the EAD, then you take the test, from scratch, theory and road test.

scrubbedexpat097 Oct 9th 2012 12:42 am

I'm a it confused...do you have a UK motorcycle licence or just a driving licence?