British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Motorbike test in USA/Canada ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/motorbike-test-usa-canada-258950/)

Pezza Oct 8th 2004 6:52 am

Motorbike test in USA/Canada ?

Hopefully a quick and easy question, but I'm a British 25 year old male who would like to tour north america by motorbike. I have never held a motorbike licence and only have a british car licence.

In Britian you can do a direct access and ride any size bike in no time at all, would I be able to do a similar thing in north america (where would be better/easier canada or usa) ? I've looked for websites but can't find anything helpful ! Or am I better off doing it in the UK ?

Also, when I return would I be able to convert it to a british one ?

Cheers for your help
Pezza

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 8th 2004 7:43 am

Re: Motorbike test in USA/Canada ?

Originally Posted by Pezza
Hopefully a quick and easy question, but I'm a British 25 year old male who would like to tour north america by motorbike. I have never held a motorbike licence and only have a british car licence.

In Britian you can do a direct access and ride any size bike in no time at all, would I be able to do a similar thing in north america (where would be better/easier canada or usa) ? I've looked for websites but can't find anything helpful ! Or am I better off doing it in the UK ?

Also, when I return would I be able to convert it to a british one ?

Cheers for your help
Pezza

Firstly does not sound like you would be able to apply for a US License.

Secondly, assuming that you are looking at hiring a Bike, look to see what the companies say about riding experiance, some have a minimum time period that you have held a license.

and no to the last bit, look on the DMV site.

Rockgurl Oct 8th 2004 3:10 pm

If you don't have a visa for America, I suspect you'll be better off taking your bike test in England and then just using your British license for the holiday. I took my bike test in Arizona but only because I had a visa and a social security number. You won't be able to get a license or take a test without either.

Mad Max7 Oct 9th 2004 3:19 pm

Out of interest whats the "deal" if you already have a full Uk licence and live here now? I guess u need another test??

scrubbedexpat097 Oct 9th 2004 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mad Max7
Out of interest whats the "deal" if you already have a full Uk licence and live here now? I guess u need another test??

Yes, well thats the way it is in Texas. The test is very simple, I drove a State Trooper in my car following hubby on his bike. She told him to turn left on one "honk of the horn" and right on two honks.

She said she was very impressed with his riding skills but I think she was more impressed with his butt in his tight leathers
;)

Bob Oct 9th 2004 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mad Max7

All depends on which state your in, but most would require you take a new test in 30 days of residence, even if you are allowed to use your UK license for a year.

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 10th 2004 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Bob
All depends on which state your in, but most would require you take a new test in 30 days of residence, even if you are allowed to use your UK license for a year.

90 days in Colorado, unless you have a Job and then you need to do it straight away.

That is asuming you are Resident, no time limit for Visitors who can use their own country/state license.

It does depend on the State, no national regulations.

Bob Oct 10th 2004 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
It does depend on the State, no national regulations.

That's the problem with it ain't it, some places it's 20, some 90, most 30...