Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

motor bike rules in Florida.

motor bike rules in Florida.

Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

stingray01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default motor bike rules in Florida.

Newcomer on the site, so hi to all ex pats there. I have a holiday home in Palm Coast and visit 3 times a year.

My question is; Do I have to have a motor bike licence to hire a harley in Florida? I have full U.K. car drivers licence for over 40 years but never got round to passing a test for my motor bikes way back then, not many people I know did!

Also, I have read somewhere that the insurance on a hired motorbike can be a bit dodgy.

Would be grateful for any info on the matter.

Many thanks,

Mike
Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: motor bike rules in Florida.

I did. But then I had a motor bike.

Varies by State, where I am it is a separate test as well.

Probably the same in Florida so you need a license.

As a side I was driving back from Denver. Got in a traffic jam, when we were let through, Police cars, Air ambulance the lot. And a tarp on the ground with a pair of motorcycle boots sticking out. Usual situation, car pulled out straight in front, he had no chance.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_15940943
Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:33 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of this page:

http://www.dmvflorida.org/drivers-license-nc.shtml
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Stingray

Can't help with the bike rules thing...never been a fan of them myself
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

Before I lived here I rented bikes occasionally on visits and you do need to be licensed to ride on your UK license if you want to hire here.

If you pass your test and do come out to ride I have one bit of advice...RIDE DEFENSIVELY. People here concentrate on everything but driving when behind the wheel. If you do not have your wits about you you stand a very good chance of some gravel burn (best case scenario).

Insurance has always been questionable on my hires. If you damage the bike you can be set to lose a good deal of money. It isn't like car hire. They will inspect the bike thoroughly when you return it.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:36 am
BritChickUS

kwilson will become famous soon enoughkwilson will become famous soon enough

Live in Tampa Bay, FL, own a bike & am a rider....so....

1) Yes, you need a motorcycle endorsement to ride anything over 49cc in FL
The course is usually 2 days, 1 in a classroom, 1 practical on a range.

2) If you want to ride in FL without a helmet (which is legal) you *must* have health insurance

3) renting bikes is very common - most Harley dealerships do it - but yes, be very careful with the insurance on them. They insure them to replace them for their business reasons - not your health reasons! Also, you may be asked to put a hefty deposit down ($1500+)

4) As WARPed says, if you're going to do this ride VERY defensively!! Not sure where you're thinking of riding in FL, but my advice would be get your endorsement, hire a bike and take it - on a trailer - to the middle of nowhere and ride for a day before you even think about riding in a built up area.

Lastly - if you do this - HAVE FUN!!
Riding in FL is a blast and the bikers are awesome.

Let me know if you'll be riding in the Tampa Bay area and I'll send you some info on some rides
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

The OP is coming on holiday so getting an endorsment will not work.
He's going to have to have a valid UK motorcycle license to be able to rent a bike in Florida.
As has been pointed out be very careful what the insurance covers and does not cover.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, they want to see a valid UK m/c license and sometimes even want to see you ride up the road and back (at least the guys at Daytona Harley did, once) before they'll rent you a bike.

According to the guy who did the paperwork and checked me out, they get to see some "interesting" riding skills and are thus a little wary.