Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mothers Birthday this week, big guilt time for me

Mothers Birthday this week, big guilt time for me

Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mothers Birthday this week, big guilt time for me

Originally Posted by frrussre
My mother will be 90 years young or is it old, this week. Due to various circumstances, I/we will not be going to UK, too much going on here in US. I have to say, I'm already having major guilt trip. Missed birthdays, weddings & funerals, does make life of an Expat difficult.
Reg. Frank R.
You have my sympathy ........ I went through exactly the same thing last august, my Dad was 90 years old and I really wanted to be there for his birthday. We went over this March and he seemed very frail. On our last whole day there we met him in his local pub where a taxi takes him free of charge every day (good guys) and we would normally take him home ourselves but I feared he would be crying along with us if we did that, so the taxi guy came and took him and his 86 year old mate home together. We had to promise we would try and get back for his next birthday because I felt that if I didn't he would have just gone home and died. I talk to him every Sunday morning and since our visit he brings up the subject of the next visit, he fully expects it, he ..... just like a lot of British people thinks that all Americans and anyone who lives here is rich :-( Unfortunately I don't think two trips in the same year is within our range, especially with the meager holiday pay we get over here, I have already used all the days for 2006 up.

He is still a very funny bloke and cheers me up a lot. When I first came here I tried to get him to fly over ! ...... NO CHANCE was his answer, I told him there was nothing to flying these days "I know, I know, planes are different to the Dakotas were flew in back in Burma, they have seats in now don't they" he said he was to ill and old to fly and I pointed out that the Pope flew, "Yes, I Know .... but he flies first class" he said.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
You're on here far too often.

Anyway, sorry for almost hijacking this thread. If it's a time issue that stops you getting back you could always try getting a last minute Friday night fare and returning on a Sunday. I did this once and it wasn't as bad as it sounds.

Oh hiya I didn't even notice it was you that spotted my little mistake.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:48 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Oh hiya I didn't even notice it was you that spotted my little mistake.
I'm a bit fanatical about that sort of thing. I've learnt to ignore the use of your instead of you're (but it still always bothers me).

As for the timing of the trip for Frank, a surprise visit next weekend or the weekend after, or even the week after that, would, I'm sure, still be appreciated - better than not going at all.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:53 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit fanatical about that sort of thing. I've learnt to ignore the use of your instead of you're (but it still always bothers me).

As for the timing of the trip for Frank, a surprise visit next weekend or the weekend after, or even the week after that, would, I'm sure, still be appreciated - better than not going at all.
So you didn;t like my idea then ??
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:54 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
So you didn;t like my idea then ??
No, but I did manage to karma you for trying. I think I'll get him the Beatles Anthology DVD and hope he likes it.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
My mother will be 90 years young or is it old, this week. Due to various circumstances, I/we will not be going to UK, too much going on here in US. I have to say, I'm already having major guilt trip. Missed birthdays, weddings & funerals, does make life of an Expat difficult.
Reg. Frank R.
At least you remembered your mother's!
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:08 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'll get him the Beatles Anthology DVD and hope he likes it.
I would like to claim some of the credit for that - please sign my name on the card too
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by User Name
I don't know what to say other than I feel for you. It is so darned bloody hard on us sometimes, and hard on our folks back in the UK too. Chin up and don't get too upset over it.
thanks
Reg.frank r.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by User Name
I don't know what to say other than I feel for you. It is so darned bloody hard on us sometimes, and hard on our folks back in the UK too. Chin up and don't get too upset over it.
We choose to leave our love ones, if only we could of for seen what we are doing to them as well as our self's, it's heart breaking. Chin up Frank.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 10:24 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
We choose to leave our love ones, if only we could of for seen what we are doing to them as well as our self's, it's heart breaking. Chin up Frank.
*nods* In my case I had a hard choice. The then wife was homesick for her "native" IL (she was, still is, a dual US/Canadian citizen, born in Calgary, but grew up in IL, mother US citizen, dad Canadian (now dual US/Canadian citizen)). So there we were in one of my favourite towns in England, and she got very homesick. So I packed in the post-doc and we moved to Chicago, IL. I would have liked to live in Canada, but among other emotional pulls, her homesickness and need to be nearer her siblings blew that option aside.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 10:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I know this may sound harsh but I try not to think about it too much, I can't, I have to carry on with our life here.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I know this may sound harsh but I try not to think about it too much, I can't, I have to carry on with our life here.
Well your a stronger Woman than me then
Old Apr 10th 2006, 10:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Well your a stronger Woman than me then
The only way I can make a life here is to try not to think of what was or what might have been. Saying that it breaks my heart to say goodbye when I leave the UK after a visit.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I'm sorry but I read this as "Mothers Birthday this week, big Quilt time for me."
Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I'm sorry but I read this as "Mothers Birthday this week, big Quilt time for me."
Well didn't your dad ever tell you that too much would make you go blind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.