Reload this Page >

MOT vs State inspection (Texas)

MOT vs State inspection (Texas)

Old Jan 4th 2014, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

trumee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MOT vs State inspection (Texas)

Hi,

It is pretty safe to buy a second hand car back home since MOT is pretty strict. How does it compare with State Inspection. Does state inspection assure roadworthiness of a vehicle? I wanted to get your view on whether it is safe to buy a pre-owned car with state inpection.

Thanks
Old Jan 4th 2014, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: MOT vs State inspection (Texas)

It depends on which garage does the inspection, we had an inspection done, for instance my wife took her car for inspection before she totaled it, she took it to a garage what failed it because there was a light broken, then the next day she took it to another place with out fixing the problem and passed. I also know of a place in the next city over that allegedly passes everything. I think that king of variation would be harder in more urban areas like Dallas because they have the emissions test.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

TX may be different from other states in what they check. However, to my knowledge, the only a state inspection does is check the emissions of the car and that's it. AFAIK, there is not any kind of general check on brakes, tires, safety equipment, mechanics, etc. Its for emissions only.

So just because a car passes the State inspection, doesn't mean its 100% mechanically sound.

The advice I've always followed is to have a used car inspected by my own mechanic before I purchase it. If the dealership/owner doesn't allow this, then walk away.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 2:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
..... So just because a car passes the State inspection, doesn't mean its 100% mechanically sound. ....
Exactly. The state inspection is necessary, but not sufficient.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

In the UK AA does a car checking service for about £100.Is there any provider here (Houston) which can do that?
Carmax was one of the places I was hoping to buy the car.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 2:29 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trumee
Hi,

It is pretty safe to buy a second hand car back home since MOT is pretty strict. How does it compare with State Inspection. Does state inspection assure roadworthiness of a vehicle? I wanted to get your view on whether it is safe to buy a pre-owned car with state inpection.

Thanks
The MOT in the UK is pretty strict, however once the car has left the garage, then it becomes meaningless, a breakdisc could disintegrate, but the car still has a valis MOT, and after a month or so, if you are really wanting to ensure the car is OK, then a full check by a garge is the only way. The MOT just ensures that the car is roadworthy, AT THE TIME THE TEST IS PERFORMED.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK AA does a car checking service for about £100.Is there any provider here (Houston) which can do that?
Call some mechanics in/around where you live or nearby to the dealer. Most of them should do some type of inspection. When you call, tell them you want an inspection on a car you are considering purchasing (so they know why you want one), and also ask what they check.

You could also check out Yelp and Google reviews for places.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

I've never used it, but there's a website called Carfax that you can use to check the history of a car.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 3:00 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Ah State checks - there are so many sheds driving around in GA because they isn't one. I wish there was!
Old Jan 4th 2014, 3:04 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taffie77
I've never used it, but there's a website called Carfax that you can use to check the history of a car.
I would recommend getting a Carfax report. Had one on my last used vehicle and it was very informative.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks the Carfax is very informative. However, I have found out that the car make I am interested in (toyota corolla) has a 'rental' agency as a previous owner. I am yet to find a car which is not from a rental agency. Do private owners of toyota corolla don't sell their car to dealership??
Old Jan 4th 2014, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks the Carfax is very informative. However, I have found out that the car make I am interested in (toyota corolla) has a 'rental' agency as a previous owner. I am yet to find a car which is not from a rental agency. Do private owners of toyota corolla don't sell their car to dealership??
Toyotas do tend to be a car that a lot of people hang onto for the long run (that tends to go for Japanese make cars in general). My aunt bought her Corolla brand new in/around 2007, and she still has it..with no plans on selling/trading in any time soon.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

texasjan is an unknown quantity at this point

If you join AAA they do a (free?) inspection. Similar to aa or green flag back home. Useful to have back up on the roads around here. They have office on Richmond, near galleria. I have my insurance with them also.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 8:54 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend the Midas on Mason Rd in Katy, if that is anywhere near you. There is a carmax very near there too.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 5:30 am
Just Joined

big_j is an unknown quantity at this point

Rental agencies tend to sell their cars after a year or two of service, most private owners don't do that. If you're looking for a late model car, the vast majority of buying options will be ex-rentals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.