Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mortgage RoC

Mortgage RoC

Old Mar 2nd 2020, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

mv72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mortgage RoC

My wife and I are looking into possibly purchasing a home in the future and were exploring the process of obtaining a mortgage.

If you submitted RoC and have a extension letter with an expired green card can you still obtain a mortgage? I was wondering if mortgage loan officers would accept the extension letter. I read that having an I551 stamp in your passport is suffice though I doubt I can get this if I have the letter already proving the PR extension whilst RoC is being processed?

For anyone that has been in the same situation is the GC + extension letter suffice, do they review the green card and extension later at the start of the process when getting pre-approved... (That way we know if the mortgage lender will accept it?)

Additionally, is there any specific banks or mortgage lenders that are good to work with that anyone has had experience with?

We are both new to buying a home and are just in the early stages of researching and reviewing FHA vs Convential loan types to see what would be best.

Last edited by mv72; Mar 2nd 2020 at 9:50 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2020, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgage RoC

Try a credit Union and go in and meet with them. See what they say. I secured a mortgage before I was even approved for adjustment of status.
Old Mar 6th 2020, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mv72
If you submitted RoC and have a extension letter with an expired green card can you still obtain a mortgage? I was wondering if mortgage loan officers would accept the extension letter. I read that having an I551 stamp in your passport is suffice though I doubt I can get this if I have the letter already proving the PR extension whilst RoC is being processed?
I'm pending an L-1 extension right now and the lenders that I've been talking with have told me that I won't be able to close on the new mortgage with a receipt notice, since it doesn't prove that my immigration status is actually going to be extended.

I don't know for sure if Conditional Permanent Resident with a pending RoC is treated in a similar manner, although I'd be inclined to just call up a lender - any lender - and ask; they are all so keen for business that if there's any possible way that they can approve you and close on a mortgage, they will surely tell you how
Old Mar 6th 2020, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mv72
I'm pending an L-1 extension right now and the lenders that I've been talking with have told me that I won't be able to close on the new mortgage with a receipt notice, since it doesn't prove that my immigration status is actually going to be extended.

I don't know if Conditional Permanent Residence with a pending RoC is treated in a similar manner, although I'd be inclined to just call up a lender - any lender - and ask; they are all so keen for business that if there's any possible way that they can approve you and close on a mortgage, they will surely tell you how