British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Mortgage for Non US Citizen (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/mortgage-non-us-citizen-299950/)

lansbury Apr 30th 2005 9:31 am

Mortgage for Non US Citizen

My wife ( a US citizen) and myself live in the UK and intend to move to Oregon next year. In preparation for the move we have started to study the house market and would buy before we move if we find a house we want.

Having contacted our US bank, Wells Fargo, it seems I cannot be included in any mortgage application as I do not have a social security number. As British people are regularly buying homes in Florida are some obtaining mortgages to do so and if so how?

Or can anyone recommend a mortgage company who can help?

Bob Apr 30th 2005 2:41 pm

Re: Mortgage for Non US Citizen

There's a big thread on finance that's sticked at the top, you'll find lots of info there.

And if your wife has a decent credit score why does it matter that you can't be added? You need to build up a credit score for any line of real decent credit over here anyway.

Ray Apr 30th 2005 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
My wife ( a US citizen) and myself live in the UK and intend to move to Oregon next year. In preparation for the move we have started to study the house market and would buy before we move if we find a house we want.
Having contacted our US bank, Wells Fargo, it seems I cannot be included in any mortgage application as I do not have a social security number. As British people are regularly buying homes in Florida are some obtaining mortgages to do so and if so how?

Here some friends of mine ..supplying mortgages in florida ..
worth an email or phone call.... http://www.expressfinancial.biz/efu/en_home.htm

fatbrit Apr 30th 2005 3:00 pm

If you've got 20-25% for the downpayment, you shouldn't have a problem. However, you'll probably need to find a broker/lender who can think outside the box, not a major bank.

BritGuyTN Apr 30th 2005 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you've got 20-25% for the downpayment, you shouldn't have a problem. However, you'll probably need to find a broker/lender who can think outside the box, not a major bank.

I know a mortgage officer at wells fargo who after some prodding got me an 80/15/5 ARM at 4.25% a while back, based only on my partners income (despite a very high D/I ratio)

PM me if you want her details.

lansbury Apr 30th 2005 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
There's a big thread on finance that's sticked at the top, you'll find lots of info there.

And if your wife has a decent credit score why does it matter that you can't be added? You need to build up a credit score for any line of real decent credit over here anyway.

I read the big thread at the top before posting and it didn't supply me with or point me to the information I need.

It matters that I be added to the mortgage because I earn 75% of our joint salary and my wife couldn't get the size of mortgage we were looking for on her own.

lansbury Apr 30th 2005 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
worth an email or phone call.... http://www.expressfinancial.biz/efu/en_home.htm

Thanks the mortgage department at the Realtor we are using are trying to find a work around, If they are unsuccessful I'll contact the people you suggest. Thanks.

lansbury Apr 30th 2005 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit

We can make that downpayment, it is finding the lender who can think as you suggest is the problem.

fatbrit Apr 30th 2005 3:44 pm

We can make that downpayment, it is finding the lender who can think as you suggest is the problem.

There are plenty of them out there, you just need to keep searching. Also, you need to be able to trust them to some extent not to take advantage of your situation. If you search on this forum for "mortgage", you'll find some sorry examples. Educating yourself is a must over here as there's little protection from fleecing you dry and there are many differences from the UK.

lansbury Apr 30th 2005 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

Ray thanks for that, I emailed them and they have already handled a mortgage for a couple in an identical situation, so looks like problem solved.

Englishmum Apr 30th 2005 5:19 pm

Are you the fellow who posts on the alt.travel.uk newsgroups and apparently works at Heathrow airport? :D

lansbury Apr 30th 2005 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Are you the fellow who posts on the alt.travel.uk newsgroups and apparently works at Heathrow airport? :D

I am and I do work there :)

licon May 3rd 2005 6:33 am

I am and I do work there :)

Nice to see you :)

Hilary

lansbury May 3rd 2005 7:29 am

Originally Posted by licon
Nice to see you :)

Hilary

Thank you, what a good source of helpful advice. The broker recommended above has been very useful and has said there will be no problem getting a mortgage when we need it.

redlobster May 3rd 2005 2:09 pm

Thank you, what a good source of helpful advice. The broker recommended above has been very useful and has said there will be no problem getting a mortgage when we need it.

If anyone is interested Express Financial is our company.
If you want to find out more about us we have three websites.
One and my own personal favorite,as its my baby is
www.hopesanddreamsonline.com
This site is about our coming to Florida,and there is a diary page and piccies.
There are links to the mortgage sites,but as I said this site is my own. My husband does all the biz stuff.
Redlobster