British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Mortgage for L1 Visa holder (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/mortgage-l1-visa-holder-898222/)

hungryhorace Jun 20th 2017 2:45 pm

Re: Mortgage for L1 Visa holder

Originally Posted by deadshoppingmalls (Post 12277051)
Well Tim Cook has a pretty modest 2BR in PA. I know that the Apple Store workers in PA (5 minutes walk from his house) live in terror of his weekly walk in to see how things are going :lol:

I have seen his house, and yes, you're right. It's incredibly modest. You wouldn't even know it was of any importance until you see the security signs outside the (small) gates.

I'd think having the CEO of the company - who by all accounts is a reasonable and very decent person - come see you every week is a great way to get ahead in the company potentially!

Giantaxe Jun 20th 2017 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 12277038)
Because the original statement made was that we should look past the British mindset that renting is dead money.

I've offered my opinion on that, as I believe if you're staying anywhere for >= 5 years, renting is literally throwing money away.

"Renting money" aka a mortgage can also be literally throwing money away. The calculation is more complex than you're portraying as many people have discovered to their cost in the last decade, i.e. cost of sale, maintenance , insurance (all typically higher than the UK) and the fact that in many localities house prices can depreciate as well as appreciate.

hungryhorace Jun 20th 2017 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12277076)
"Renting money" aka a mortgage can also be literally throwing money away. The calculation is more complex than you're portraying as many people have discovered to their cost in the last decade, i.e. cost of sale, maintenance, insurance and the fact that in many localities house prices can depreciate as well as appreciate.

I get that, but even if we were under in the first five years versus renting, that's something I would be totally fine with as we'd have (and do) a hugely better quality of life having our own home and mid to longer term it's absolutely the right thing financially to do.

I do know someone who bought a crappy apartment in a property boom, and how he's under water. He's awful with money mind.

Giantaxe Jun 20th 2017 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 12277079)
I get that, but even if we were under in the first five years versus renting, that's something I would be totally fine with as we'd have (and do) a hugely better quality of life having our own home and mid to longer term it's absolutely the right thing financially to do.

The point I'm making is that I don't believe that there is a hard and fast cut off where buying makes sense. Lack of price appreciation/maintenance/property taxes can be a continual drain in some areas regardless of length of ownership. Having said that, I do acknowledge that there are plenty of non-financial factors in favour of owning (there certainly are for me) and in areas of strong appreciation, the financial equation can tip in favour of ownership quite quickly.