Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mortgage on an L-1B before applying for Marriage GC

Mortgage on an L-1B before applying for Marriage GC

Old Feb 24th 2020, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mortgage on an L-1B before applying for Marriage GC

Hello,
My fiance and I are keen on buying a house in Florida. She doesn't have a great credit score/profile as she is self employed and doesn't pay herself very much! My L-1B is up for extension on December 31st of this year, which my employer has already started preliminary work. We are also getting married in Scotland in July this year. If it's an option we'd like to look into the mortgage before we're married.

We would like to start the process of buying a house in the coming months but not sure where we'd fall in eligibility. Obviously we'll talk to a mortgage advisor to get the full story, but has anybody on these boards been through a similar journey?

Thanks!
Pete
Old Feb 24th 2020, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgage on an L-1B before applying for Marriage GC

Forgot to say, we'll apply for marriage Green Card immediately after the wedding.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 3:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see any problem with your plan.

Rene

Old Feb 24th 2020, 4:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Income, and how much someone pays themself if they are self employed, has no bearing on their credit score. Having low income might reduce the willingness of lenders to lend, but that it not because of a credit score.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Income, and how much someone pays themself if they are self employed, has no bearing on their credit score. Having low income might reduce the willingness of lenders to lend, but that it not because of a credit score.
I understand that, that's why I said "profile" in addition to "score". I was correcting myself as I went along. I was referring more to affordability on paper, such as DTI ratios etc...
Old Feb 24th 2020, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

We applied for a mortgage and were successful with 14 months left on our L1A and L2 at the time of completing. To be honest, they seemed utterly non-plussed by the temporary nature of our existence! What did create some effort was creating the necessary proof of a "credit file" if you like, to satisfy the underwriting process. Lots of bank statements, wage slips etc. from the UK given only a year and a half of being on file in the USA and having only two tax returns, with one being a partial year. Our credit scores were no stellar by that point by any stretch of the imagination.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robtuck
We applied for a mortgage and were successful with 14 months left on our L1A and L2 at the time of completing. To be honest, they seemed utterly non-plussed by the temporary nature of our existence! What did create some effort was creating the necessary proof of a "credit file" if you like, to satisfy the underwriting process. Lots of bank statements, wage slips etc. from the UK given only a year and a half of being on file in the USA and having only two tax returns, with one being a partial year. Our credit scores were no stellar by that point by any stretch of the imagination.
That sounds pretty reassuring. I guess my biggest qualm is the fact that my L-1 'expires' at the end of the year. Having said that, the actual visa still has an expiration date of December 2022, but the point of departure is the end of this year as that's the end of the 3-year mark. I'm not sure which date financial institutions typically follow in the underwriting process.

What kind of company did you use for your mortgage? And what rate did they give you? Was it an FHA? Or conventional?
Old Feb 25th 2020, 12:26 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Banks aren't going to care about lending on a mortgage for someone that it is not a PR, because they have a secured US based asset that quite literally cannot go anywhere. You cannot sell it without making them whole.

Might be a different story when trying to buy a car or taking out a personal loan however.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 12:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Banks aren't going to care about lending on a mortgage for someone that it is not a PR, because they have a secured US based asset that quite literally cannot go anywhere. You cannot sell it without making them whole. .....
An asset that they probably only lent 80% of the value of, and if they did lend more, then there is indemnity insurance to cover the excess over 80%.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Banks aren't going to care about lending on a mortgage for someone that it is not a PR, because they have a secured US based asset that quite literally cannot go anywhere. You cannot sell it without making them whole.

Might be a different story when trying to buy a car or taking out a personal loan however.
Originally Posted by Pulaski
An asset that they probably only lent 80% of the value of, and if they did lend more, then there is indemnity insurance to cover the excess over 80%.
These were my initial thoughts too. They have a lot more security in lending to a house-buyer than a car buyer/credit card application!
Old Feb 25th 2020, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a house in Florida 12 months into my L1-B visa (wife on L2) without any issue. We had to supply three years' worth of proof of income so that meant sending them past UK P60s in addition to the US W2s that we had. Due to the short timespan of our US credit history, the eventual rate was slightly higher than typical but that was still worth it for our particular circumstances. I'm a further 18 months in now (just renewed visa) and am in process of remortgaging on a better rate.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jammiie
I bought a house in Florida 12 months into my L1-B visa (wife on L2) without any issue. We had to supply three years' worth of proof of income so that meant sending them past UK P60s in addition to the US W2s that we had. Due to the short timespan of our US credit history, the eventual rate was slightly higher than typical but that was still worth it for our particular circumstances. I'm a further 18 months in now (just renewed visa) and am in process of remortgaging on a better rate.
Great to hear. What mortgage provider did you end up using? Did you have to shop around to find the right provider?
Old Feb 25th 2020, 2:15 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petepete99
Did you have to shop around to find the right provider?
That is always recommended to get the best rate. Never take your first offer, espeically when you have a slightly complicated application (as you do having not been in the US all that long)
Old Feb 25th 2020, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

That is always recommended to get the best rate. Never take your first offer, espeically when you have a slightly complicated application (as you do having not been in the US all that long)
Agreed. But is there a way to do this without having several credit report pulls?
Old Feb 25th 2020, 2:53 pm
Often not so civil...

No. Honestly, you shouldn't worry about multiple pulls in a short period for one type of product. The FICO algorithms recognize this as 'shopping around' and only ding you one time for the inquiry.

It will probably cost you 5 points, but that 5 points will pay for itself many times over if you are able to secure a rate even a quarter point lower than you got if you didn't shop around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.