Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mortgage Brokers in Southern California

Mortgage Brokers in Southern California

Old Jul 5th 2015, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

karispirit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mortgage Brokers in Southern California

We are moving to Southern California (Irvine or San Diego) after Christmas and would like to start doing some research on how much of a mortgage we can raise, deposit required etc. and the process in buying a house. Initially we will rent for the first few months.

Can anyone recommend a mortgage broker in Irvine of San Diego please?

Many thanks.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 2:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgage Brokers in Southern California

Mortgage brokers are snakes IMO. I would go straight to a bank myself. Wells Fargo has about 30% of the US market, and there are several good reasons for that. Others on here have found Wells Fargo especially accommodating of new immgrants.

And even if you go through a broker there is a high probability that your mortgage will be sold after closing to Wells Fargo, and you have NO say in such a sale. In fact if you go through a broker/ small bank lender/ finance company it is pretty much certain that your mortgage will be sold, to somebody.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 6th 2015 at 2:06 am.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

karispirit is an unknown quantity at this point

Good point. I will contact Wells Fargo. Many thanks.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In fact if you go through a broker/ small bank lender/ finance company it is pretty much certain that your mortgage will be sold, to somebody.
I do not see a problem in my mortgage getting sold.

To the OP - just put your details into Zillow mortgage calculator - 'how much can i afford'. All the lenders use Fannie or Freddie, and these government companies have clear rules.

Another possibility is using a agent-broker combination. An advantage when buying a property. You can always refinance later with any lender that takes your fancy.

http://www.freddiemac.com/singlefami...ultn/limit.htm

Last edited by bewildering; Jul 7th 2015 at 3:12 am. Reason: added link to conventional mortgage limits
Old Jul 7th 2015, 1:31 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I ended up starting the prequalification process simultaneously with Wells Fargo, my bank of 2.5 years at the time, and a broker. The broker had me a mortgage lined up within a week. Wells Fargo were still bumbling around. They both needed, and got, the same paperwork. Fees were comparable, but I wasn't sensitive to this as they were recoverable as relocation expenses from work.

Within a few months my mortgage was sold on to another part of the same company, at the same address. No impact to me.

I asked the mortgage guy what his cut of it was, I think it was something like 1.5% of the financed amount.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Mortgage brokers are snakes IMO. I would go straight to a bank myself. Wells Fargo has about 30% of the US market, and there are several good reasons for that. Others on here have found Wells Fargo especially accommodating of new immgrants.

And even if you go through a broker there is a high probability that your mortgage will be sold after closing to Wells Fargo, and you have NO say in such a sale. In fact if you go through a broker/ small bank lender/ finance company it is pretty much certain that your mortgage will be sold, to somebody.
Even if you use Wells Fargo your mortgage will be sold, I have personally bought half a dozen mortgages from Wells Fargo. I don't think it matters who you use as long as they are knowledgeable and have comparable rates, etc. I personally would stay away from the "on-line" brokers or really small "one-man" operations as I find them hard to deal with and they are often slow and cause closings to be delayed.