British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Mortgage <, = or > health ins. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/mortgage-%3D-health-ins-485302/)

paddingtongreen Oct 4th 2007 3:22 pm

Mortgage <, = or > health ins.

Governor Ed Rendell, has been proposing a sort of universal health insurance in PA. In surveys of some companies, they reported that they had done some surveys of their own and found that the total health insurance premium for many of their employees, exceeded their mortgage costs. In a historical context, this is mind boggling.

Elvira Oct 4th 2007 5:01 pm

Re: Mortgage <, = or > health ins.

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen (Post 5386605)
Governor Ed Rendell, has been proposing a sort of universal health insurance in PA. In surveys of some companies, they reported that they had done some surveys of their own and found that the total health insurance premium for many of their employees, exceeded their mortgage costs. In a historical context, this is mind boggling.

IME, when US politicians talk about 'universal healthcare', they almost invariably mean a laws that force people who can 'afford it' to buy health insurance, with just a few indigents and possibly kids being offered 'free' healthcare.

anabella Oct 4th 2007 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5387054)
IME, when US politicians talk about 'universal healthcare', they almost invariably mean a laws that force people who can 'afford it' to buy health insurance, with just a few indigents and possibly kids being offered 'free' healthcare.

I agree, they certainly don't mean 'universal healthcare' the way we understand it.. Lack of free healthcare is the single thing I dislike the most in this country, but what can you expect from a system that doesn't care about its people :(..

paddingtongreen Oct 4th 2007 6:30 pm

Hell and damnation, the significant point was that monthly health insurance costs were exceeding monthly mortgage payments.

Wifty birds.:frown:

lisag8070 Oct 4th 2007 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen (Post 5386605)

That is absolutely unbelievable!!!

Duncan Roberts Oct 4th 2007 7:22 pm

I'm glad that our health insurance doesn't even come close to our mortgage payment. On the flip side, I wish our mortgage payment was less than our health insurance premium!