Reload this Page >

More on US Health Insurance

More on US Health Insurance

Old Jun 19th 2015, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Natters108 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More on US Health Insurance

Moving to the US.

I will be applying for health insurance with my wife (US citizen).

She has been told that we can not apply for Obamacare until I receive my social security number. I am not sure how long this will take, I have heard various time frames from 10 days to 4 months.

I ticked the box on my visa application form for a social security number.

I have regular annual travel insurance from the UK, however I'm not sure if this will be valid as I will become a US permanent resident when I land.

My mother in law was involved in an accident last year and I was shocked by the health care bills that came through. Luckily she was insured.

I do not want to risk being in the US without adequate health insurance for any period of time.

Has anyone else found them self in this position?
Any advice appreciated.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Simon89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: More on US Health Insurance

I'll be interested to hear the answers to this. As someone coming over on a K1, I've read that i could have 'alien' health insurance... but can I not just go on a plan with my wife (well when she is my wife when I get there and get married in October, all being well) or would we need to wait until the next 'marketplace' window for that?
Old Jun 21st 2015, 2:27 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

My SSN took about ten days to come through.
We bought travel insurance but I was pretty sure it would have been difficult getting the insurance company to pay out if anything happened.
In the end we just tried to be extra careful until the SSN turned up and then I bought a plan immediately.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon89
I'll be interested to hear the answers to this. As someone coming over on a K1, I've read that i could have 'alien' health insurance... but can I not just go on a plan with my wife (well when she is my wife when I get there and get married in October, all being well) or would we need to wait until the next 'marketplace' window for that?
Being a new immigrant is a qualifying event so you don't have to wait until open enrollment. I believe this window is about 60 days.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 6:08 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... As someone coming over on a K1, I've read that i could have 'alien' health insurance... but can I not just go on a plan with my wife (well when she is my wife when I get there and get married in October, all being well) or would we need to wait until the next 'marketplace' window for that?
If your wife has insurance through her company, getting married is a "qualifying event" for her to change her insurance mid-year. Later, if you find a job with medical insurance included, that is also a qualifying event that will allow her to drop you from her coverage mid-year.

BTW what is "alien health insurance"?
Old Jun 21st 2015, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If your wife has insurance through her company, getting married is a "qualifying event" for her to change her insurance mid-year. Later, if you find a job with medical insurance included, that is also a qualifying event that will allow her to drop you from her coverage mid-year.
Oh, okay, well that's good. She hasn't got it through her work, I'm pretty sure she has it independently through the health insurance provider Blue Cross Blue Shield. I'll put her on the case of contacting them to see what they do in this situation!

BTW what is "alien health insurance"? :confused
Well, it's probably not called that, more like new immigrants health insurance. Just something I read here: Health insurance plans for green card holders , permanent residents and new Immigrants to USA
Old Jun 21st 2015, 6:16 pm
Banned

uktoyank is an unknown quantity at this point

most if not all health insurance has deductibles and copays so get used to taking your wallet when you go to see a doctor! they can even charge you for speaking to them on the phone!
Old Jun 21st 2015, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by uktoyank
most if not all health insurance has deductibles and copays so get used to taking your wallet when you go to see a doctor! they can even charge you for speaking to them on the phone!
Like going to the dentists here haha
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute

Like going to the dentists here haha
Oh, you'll be right at home then, they charge for dentistry here too, only probably quite a bit more
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Disenchanted
Oh, you'll be right at home then, they charge for dentistry here too, only probably quite a bit more
Oh I bet! Yes, if not young, old or poor you do have to pay even for checkups at the dentists so it won't be as shocking to have to cough up for other medical professionals, even if it will be more
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 9:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I bet! Yes, if not young, old or poor you do have to pay even for checkups at the dentists so it won't be as shocking to have to cough up for other medical professionals, even if it will be more
I think you're in for a bit of a shock.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 9:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I bet! Yes, if not young, old or poor you do have to pay even for checkups at the dentists so it won't be as shocking to have to cough up for other medical professionals, even if it will be more. ....
The offset to paying for health insurance and medical services is that you might save on taxes (income and VAT, though it is less likely you will save on property tax), and there are several ways to pay bona fide medical expenses from your pre-tax income. It isn't often mentioned here on BE, but unlike in the UK, there are still a good number of personal expenses that can be deducted from your gross income to reach your taxable income.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think you're in for a bit of a shock. .....
I save significantly more in taxes than I pay out in health insurance and medical expenses.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 22nd 2015 at 9:34 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

At the end of the day it is what it is. You have to pay it so I'll have to pay it. Can't have any complaints.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:17 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't often mentioned here on BE,
Because we leave it up to you to speak truth to power
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

I save significantly more in taxes than I pay out in health insurance and medical expenses.
I'll have to ask you for some tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.