Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

More Than One Way To Skin A Cat ;-)

More Than One Way To Skin A Cat ;-)

Old Apr 21st 2001, 8:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The saga of the Wilson's quest for the coveted greencard is a well known story here on AVUMB. While we sit here and await the mail to come and for the INS letter to be included with the little piece of plastic inside, we have watched others throughout the country go for their AOS interviews and get their cards within the prescribed 90 days (at least prescirbed in most areas). No big deal when you look at the facts because he does have the I-551 stamp and can get that renewed so it is only plastic.

But ....

Today Jim was officially accepted into the US National Guard with a rank of Chief Warrant Officer. During indoctrination, he was asked if he would like to become a US Citizen? Of course, he explained that he had a few more years of waiting for that opportunity based on marriage to a USC. Wellllllllll !!!!!

It appears that the military does take care of its own. He signed a form and the military is applying for his US citizenship for him. The words used were: "Sign here, we'll take care of it for you."

So my little attempt of levity the other when Jim and I were talking about him becoming a USC before ever receiving a greencard might actually be the truth. If true, how ironic!

What a kick in the arse for the INS if it happens before the greencard arrives.
Old Apr 21st 2001, 8:41 pm
Jeremy

Cool Congrats to Jim. Hope this reduces your stress level a little Jeremy

Rete wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 21st 2001, 10:42 pm
Betastar

AWESOME! =))) I'm still not getting all of your original posts with Forte =( but I'm
glad I got a reply to it that quoted your original =))))

Congrats!

>
    >
[usenetquote2]>> The saga of the Wilson's quest for the coveted greencard is a well known story[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> here on AVUMB. While we sit here and await the mail to come and for the INS letter[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> to be included with the little piece of plastic inside, we have watched others[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> throughout the country go for their AOS interviews and get their cards within the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> prescribed 90 days (at least prescirbed in most areas). No big deal when you look[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> at the facts because he does have the I-551 stamp and can get that renewed so it[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> is only plastic.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> But ....[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Today Jim was officially accepted into the US National Guard with a rank of Chief[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Warrant Officer. During indoctrination, he was asked if he would like to become a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> US Citizen? Of course, he explained that he had a few more years of waiting for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> that opportunity based on marriage to a USC. Wellllllllll !!!!![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> It appears that the military does take care of its own. He signed a form and the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> military is applying for his US citizenship for him. The words used were: "Sign[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> here, we'll take care of it for you."[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> So my little attempt of levity the other when Jim and I were talking about him[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> becoming a USC before ever receiving a greencard might actually be the truth. If[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> true, how ironic![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> What a kick in the arse for the INS if it happens before the greencard arrives.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> --[/usenetquote2]

Old Apr 23rd 2001, 9:36 am
EA

Rita,

Many congratulations!, and may I say that I believe that the men and women in
the national guard deserve to be treated well. I'm glad they are empowered to do
that for him.

Kirby

Rete wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 23rd 2001, 2:44 pm
Jonathan_ATC

I doubt they will even blink an eye. They are so backasswards they will think of some
other way to get back at you for tirelessly answering questions in here. You think
they don't read? You think your INS problems are just mistakes? Think again. My guess
is if you would sign off this group for good that INS would immediately begin
processing your case again. ;o)

--
Jonathan _/ _/ _/ _/ K-1 Fiance Visa Immigration through to Adjustment of Status
http://clik.to/getk1 K-1 & Adjustment of Status Links Page
http://clik.to/K1andAOSLinks Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Arnaldo and Alvena's
Fiance Visa Page http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/ Immigration and Naturalization
Service http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 23rd 2001, 3:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Well now Jonathan a very interesting post. One that is thought provoking, particularly to those that feel that Bi Brother is watching and listening to all that they do and say and is ready to squish them like roaches running across a counter in broad daylight.

Do I think our problems are INS mistakes? No I don't. Do I think they are subversive actions by the INS because of my participation here in the NG? No I don't. In all my thousands of posts here on the NG, I have been flamed for my opinions and straight forwardness but I don't recall ever posting anything of such negativity about the INS or our government to warrant their "teaching" me a lesson.

What has happened to us is plain and simply a matter of a worker's or workers' incompetency. Is it on the part of NYC INS? Or perhaps the VSC? Or even still on the part of the substitute postal worker that delivered our mail for the months of December, 2000 and January, 2001.

Our DAO at NYC was not incompetent nor was she unprofessional. VSC has not done anything to invoke a sense of mistrust on my part. But the postal worker, however, is another story altogether. Since numerous, very timely and important documents were not delivered and have never surfaced at the same timeframe that the greencard should have arrived, I strongly feel that the problem lies there and not within the framework of the INS.

At this point we are wondering why VSC has not responded to a formal inquiry which was made over 2 months ago.

With the onslaught of 245(i) cases now having to be processed and with NYC demanding that the 245(i) expiration date be extended because the caseload is too much to handle and because too many people who don't read newspapers didn't find out about it until now, I hold out little hope of hearing from either VSC or from DDD McElroy.

But is the problem Big Brother's thumb on my head or just a lack of time and resources and the incompetency of a postal worker. I opt for the postal worker myself.

Rita
(who doesn't live life looking over her shoulder for the knife bearer)