Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

more stupid Texas Bureaucracy !

more stupid Texas Bureaucracy !

Old Sep 7th 2009, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Angry more stupid Texas Bureaucracy !

So because we (me and hubby) haven't held a Texas driving license for at least 3 years we can't take part in the teenage driving program for our son...we'll have to pay to have him "taught" by some spotty young plonker.$$$
Makes me mad when you see the standard of driving here...especially when it rains!!!
OK, thanks for listening...rant over.
If anyone can come up with a way around this I'd be grateful
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: more stupid Texas Bureaucracy !

I feel your pain..............

The standard of driving here is truly awful, and is not improved by people talking on their cell phones constantly, even the police here do it!

We're not in Kansas now Lisa!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist View Post
I feel your pain..............

The standard of driving here is truly awful, and is not improved by people talking on their cell phones constantly, even the police here do it!

We're not in Kansas now Lisa!

I wouldn't mind if I'd only just got off the boat, but we've lived over here for 9 years total..that's what makes me really mad!!!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67 View Post

I wouldn't mind if I'd only just got off the boat, but we've lived over here for 9 years total..that's what makes me really mad!!!
Yeah, I've just been looking at the DPS website - doesn't seem to be any kind of reciprocity where your state license from where you lived before can count...

Can he do driver's ed with the local school? Might that be cheaper than a driving school?
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebs View Post
Yeah, I've just been looking at the DPS website - doesn't seem to be any kind of reciprocity where your state license from where you lived before can count...

Can he do driver's ed with the local school? Might that be cheaper than a driving school?
Thanks Rebs.....he can do it through school if he waits until next summer, but he'd really like to do it before then, so we might have to bite the bullet after Xmas as he's too busy after school to do it now (classes are monday-Friday) ah well....just another (small) hurdle to jump over!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:16 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear that Lisa. Frankly, it's all a load of wank, though. I know several people here who have driving licences because their parents just wrote down a load of lies as supposed "evidence" of completing parent-taught drivers ed.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
Sorry to hear that Lisa. Frankly, it's all a load of wank, though. I know several people here who have driving licences because their parents just wrote down a load of lies as supposed "evidence" of completing parent-taught drivers ed.
I know...makes me want to spit!! I might go into the local office and see what they say, but knowing the lovely ladies there (having been in to see them before) I don't hold out much hope...rules are rules!!!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

9 years!!! So I guess this is the same for a USC that has not been resident in Texas for 3 years either? You'd think they'd allow it if you'd held ANY US drivers license for that time?
But they don't do things the way the rest of us do *rolls eyes*
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist View Post
9 years!!! So I guess this is the same for a USC that has not been resident in Texas for 3 years either? You'd think they'd allow it if you'd held ANY US drivers license for that time?
But they don't do things the way the rest of us do *rolls eyes*
what you've suggested is way too sensible
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:50 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

So because we (me and hubby) haven't held a Texas driving license for at least 3 years we can't take part in the teenage driving program for our son...we'll have to pay to have him "taught" by some spotty young plonker.$$$
Makes me mad when you see the standard of driving here...especially when it rains!!!
OK, thanks for listening...rant over.
If anyone can come up with a way around this I'd be grateful
Wow, that sounds like one silly rule. Once he's got his permit can you ride along with him, or do you have to have had your Texas license for 3 years for that too?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Wow, that sounds like one silly rule. Once he's got his permit can you ride along with him, or do you have to have had your Texas license for 3 years for that too?
Not sure to be honest Sue. I need to go back to the web page and take a look. Can't believe there isn't a way around this...there must be so many people that come into Texas from another State
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:26 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure to be honest Sue. I need to go back to the web page and take a look. Can't believe there isn't a way around this...there must be so many people that come into Texas from another State
I wonder what the reasoning there is behind such a silly rule.

Amongst other things I had my son driving an hour a day, to and from school, and feel much more confident that he is a good driver because of this. I also drummed into him about using his indicators because around these parts no one uses them. They are just on the car to make it look pretty
Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I wonder what the reasoning there is behind such a silly rule.

Amongst other things I had my son driving an hour a day, to and from school, and feel much more confident that he is a good driver because of this. I also drummed into him about using his indicators because around these parts no one uses them. They are just on the car to make it look pretty
goodness only know what they were thinking when they came up with this rule!!
I'd feel much happier teaching my son than having someone else doing it and paying through the nose for the privilege :curse:
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:02 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

goodness only know what they were thinking when they came up with this rule!!
I'd feel much happier teaching my son than having someone else doing it and paying through the nose for the privilege :curse:
Contrarian View: You can still teach him, you're just paying for the certification.

I couldn't see a way around it, either, from snooping around on their site.