Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

More School Questions

Wikiposts

More School Questions

Old Oct 24th 2010, 8:17 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More School Questions

Originally Posted by Michael
Report back when you find out. It would be interesting to hear if you were successful.
Will do
Old Oct 24th 2010, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by N1cky
That's because you don't live in LA and don't think the world only revolves around you. It is quite common here, lots of people complain about it at work too.

Yes we have done all that, we would never have signed for a house without checking out the schools. We know there are good schools we just have a preference.
There is no need to be so rude - I'm only trying to be helpful and offer you some advice from what I know of Northern California. You asked some very general questions about how to register for schools and the process - obviously these processes may differ from area to area.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 10:32 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
There is no need to be so rude - I'm only trying to be helpful and offer you some advice from what I know of Northern California. You asked some very general questions about how to register for schools and the process - obviously these processes may differ from area to area.
Actually I asked 2 very specific questions. I found it very rude that you implied I hadnt done any school research which implies I don't care about my kid
Old Oct 24th 2010, 11:54 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Does this map indicate you will be attending the school you desire?

http://www.pausd.org/parents/schools...undaryMaps.pdf
Old Oct 24th 2010, 11:59 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Oops. It does appear that Palo Alto has open enrollment, but space availability seems to be the bigger problem. If you live in the boundaries you may get priority in latter years if attempting a transfer. Guess you just need to wait until Monday.

Old Oct 24th 2010, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Does this map indicate you will be attending the school you desire?

We won't be in Palo Alto area and I can't find a map on the Los Altos site it says to call to find the school catchment. I would think 0.9 miles would fall into the area of our desired school though.

Agreed, from what had been said here it all depends on whether there is a place available, however I had been told that if you are new to the area they had to give you a place
Old Oct 24th 2010, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

We won't be in Palo Alto area and I can't find a map on the Los Altos site it says to call to find the school catchment. I would think 0.9 miles would fall into the area of our desired school though.

Agreed, from what had been said here it all depends on whether there is a place available, however I had been told that if you are new to the area they had to give you a place
To try to reassure you, if you are going to be in a good school district, the school standards at elementary level are likely to be very similar.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 12:35 pm

Are you in the Los Altos District? This is there boundary map.

http://www.losaltos.k12.ca.us/school...es_6_18_07.pdf

Los Altos has open enrollment too. I think like Palo Alto you register first at the school in your boundary and then apply for a transfer.

http://www.losaltos.k12.ca.us/regist...transfers.html
Old Oct 24th 2010, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Are you in the Los Altos District? This is there boundary map.

http://www.losaltos.k12.ca.us/school...es_6_18_07.pdf

Los Altos has open enrollment too. I think like Palo Alto you register first at the school in your boundary and then apply for a transfer.

http://www.losaltos.k12.ca.us/regist...transfers.html
That's great thank you. I could find the bottom link but not the map. The boundary map shows we fall around 2 blocks outside the catchment area, but I will give it a go anyway
Old Oct 24th 2010, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

That's because you don't live in LA and don't think the world only revolves around you. It is quite common here, lots of people complain about it at work too.

Yes we have done all that, we would never have signed for a house without checking out the schools. We know there are good schools we just have a preference.
Hey.... Bromley girl was only offering her advice and opinion. She, in no way suggested or as I see it, implied, that you didn't care about your child.
Finding out all this information can be very stressful, which I assume is why you came on here to ask questions and why people have given you their advice through their own experiences.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 12:45 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Round here, we just go into the school office and fill out the forms. you could go to the district office and pick them up but if the school has openings, you can go to it. Ours has openings now that so many people have lost their homes and moved away. If you live within the boundaries they will transport your child on the bus, if not you get to do the transporting yourself.
My friend lives one street outside our school boundary, her Dd still goes to the school, she walks her one block over to catch the bus.
Once she's in middle school we are all in one catchment area so she can get the bus at the end of her own street.
Good luck tomorrow I hope you can get the school you want.
Oh something I was going to say. Many years back when Dh moved here, he and his sisters were dropped off to the local school by their mother, they went to the office and signed themselves up how weird is that, no parent even bothered to go in. (maybe I shouldn't be surprised I've known my MIL for a long time now )
Old Oct 24th 2010, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lisa67
Hey.... Bromley girl was only offering her advice and opinion. She, in no way suggested or as I see it, implied, that you didn't care about your child.
Finding out all this information can be very stressful, which I assume is why you came on here to ask questions and why people have given you their advice through their own experiences.
Thank you Lisa67 I think when anyone asks questions via this forum they should be prepared to hear others perspectives and not go on the defensive because they don't like what they are hearing even when it is well intentioned. I can understand the OP being stressed but there is no need for all of that.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
Thank you Lisa67 I think when anyone asks questions via this forum they should be prepared to hear others perspectives and not go on the defensive because they don't like what they are hearing even when it is well intentioned. I can understand the OP being stressed but there is no need for all of that.
I'm not even sure why you think I was being rude. I only said I had done my research and not signed for a house without looking. If you find that rude you must be extremely sensitive
Old Oct 24th 2010, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Because our neighborhood school is so overcrowded, you can't request to get into it (nor would you want to, my opinion of course.) But you can request to take your child to another school in the district, as long as there is room.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 2:23 am

I received an email back from the principal of our chosen school this morning saying they cannot accept children from outside there catchment area it was worth a try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.