British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   More questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/more-questions-108348/)

crashcringle May 15th 2002 8:08 pm

More questions

Hi there,

Got a few questions.

On the I-485, it ask for the expiration date on my I-94. Since I entered as a student, it does not indicate the date, just " Admitted until F1" and below the line, "D/S". So should I write the date the actual F1 expires?

Also, what is the "nonimmigrant visa number" (part 3 on I-485)? Is it the control number on my student visa or the red numbers at the bottom of the visa?

For current INS status, do I write pending AOS?

On I-130, #20, it says to write the name and address of spouse in their native alphabet if it's other than Roman letters. So does that mean my husband have to write my name and add in Chinese? (Hmm...I'd love to see him write in Chinese...hehe...more like chicken scratch)

Is it alright to submit a photocopy of my birth certificate instead of having a certified one? The original is lost but I still have my passport and ID for proof. Will that work?

Tks a lot for your help.

Andy Platt May 16th 2002 12:20 pm

Re: More questions

"crashcringle" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi there,
    >
    > Got a few questions.
    >
    > On the I-485, it ask for the expiration date on my I-94. Since I entered as a
    > student, it does not indicate the date, just " Admitted until F1" and below the
    > line, "D/S". So should I write the date the actual F1 expires?

No, just put D/S.

> Also, what is the "nonimmigrant visa number" (part 3 on I-485)? Is it the control
    > number on my student visa or the red numbers at the bottom of the visa?

The red number.

> For current INS status, do I write pending AOS?

This is almost a trick question. On the I-485 you put F-1 but if you are applying for
employment authorization, on the I-765 you put pending permanent resident (or pending
AOS) since the filing of the I-485 makes you pending AOS.

> On I-130, #20, it says to write the name and address of spouse in their native
    > alphabet if it's other than Roman letters. So does that mean my husband have to
    > write my name and add in Chinese? (Hmm...I'd love to see him write in
    > Chinese...hehe...more like chicken scratch)

That's exactly what it is!

> Is it alright to submit a photocopy of my birth certificate instead of having a
    > certified one? The original is lost but I still have my passport and ID for proof.
    > Will that work?

Absolutely - but you *will* have to obtain a certified copy for the interview
(although our interviewer never looked at any of our original documents which I
think is a little bad!). *Never* include any original documents in your application
unless they are specifically constructed for your application (for instance, a
translation of a birth certificate must be an original but the birth certificate
doesn't have to be).

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

crashcringle May 22nd 2002 6:30 pm

Re: More questions

Thank you so much for your help :) It seems like every time I go through them, I have more questions. Maybe it's just me trying to read too much into everything...
Anyway, do I write my parents names as it appears on the birth certificate or the actual names they are currently using? Also, since my name is spelled differently (due to different dialect, to complicate matters) on my birth certificate, do I have to include it as other names used?
Last question, for now, on I-130, #17, do we write N/A or we have to include me, the beneficiary, as well? I guess it means husband/wife of relative, but I just want to be sure.
Thanks again for your patience :)