British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   More pressing questions for K-1 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/more-pressing-questions-k-1-a-109460/)

beyness Jul 15th 2002 8:33 am

More pressing questions for K-1

Thnaks so much for everyone's help so far.. I'm being nit picky (and maybe a bit paranoid)now, but I feel I need to:

1. On the G-325, it asks for your employment for the past five years. Since I was an actress in New York, I had LOADS of jobs, part-time, full time, acting and theatre, free-lance, one day commerical and modeling things, temp jobs.. do I need to list ALL of these (it would take up a few pages), or should I just list the main ones that lasted more than a few months? If I list all of them, the INS will most certainly think I'm unstable, but this is what life as an actress in New York was like! What to do?

2. Same form, residences for the past 5 years.. Since I've been travelling, I have month gaps in my residences. I can't list every single hostel we've stayd in for the past two years! Will it matter if there are gaps of seven months in between residences or should I just put the apt that my friends were subletting even though I wasn't paying the rent anymore? Sorry to complicated!

3.On al the forms, when it says write N/A for thing that are not applicable, do I have to write that for every single blank? If I have written it for "children", must I write it for "children's date of birth" when I've already established I don't have children?

4. in proving I am a US citizen, I must " show my passport that was issued for at least five years". I'm getting "issued" and "possessed" confused maybe? My passport was issued for 10 years, but I've only had it for 2 and a half years... is this okay?

Sorry to be so anal, but I feel that's how I have to be if I'm going to do this right...

Rete Jul 15th 2002 10:21 am

Re: More pressing questions for K-1

Originally posted by beyness
Thnaks so much for everyone's help so far.. I'm being nit picky (and maybe a bit paranoid)now, but I feel I need to:

1. On the G-325, it asks for your employment for the past five years. Since I was an actress in New York, I had LOADS of jobs, part-time, full time, acting and theatre, free-lance, one day commerical and modeling things, temp jobs..

You must have used an agency, manager, whatever to secure the acting positions, place the name of such agency in the appropriate spot along with the address and years associated with them.

2. Same form, residences for the past 5 years.. Since I've been travelling, I have month gaps in my residences. I can't list every single hostel we've stayd in for the past two years! Will it matter if there are gaps of seven months in between residences or should I just put the apt that my friends were subletting even though I wasn't paying the rent anymore? Sorry to complicated!

For the years traveled, put "Traveling ... list the countries and dates, i.e. Australian June '99 through September '99" and so on. Also you can list your mother's residence as your permanent address if that is where you received your mail, etc. Or whatever address you might have used.

3.On al the forms, when it says write N/A for thing that are not applicable, do I have to write that for every single blank? If I have written it for "children", must I write it for "children's date of birth" when I've already established I don't have children?

Put NONE not N/A. And put in only on the first line.

4. in proving I am a US citizen, I must " show my passport that was issued for at least five years". I'm getting "issued" and "possessed" confused maybe? My passport was issued for 10 years, but I've only had it for 2 and a half years... is this okay?

You don't have to use your passport. You can use your birth certificate. The point is you have to prove you are a US Citizen.

Sorry to be so anal, but I feel that's how I have to be if I'm going to do this right...

Just Jenney Jul 15th 2002 12:35 pm

Originally posted by beyness
Yes, this is ok.

If you received your current passport when you were 15 years old or younger, it is only valid for 5 years. Theoretically, if you're 18 years old and got your current passport when you were 14, then it is valid for one more year.

If you received your current passport from age 16 and older, then it is valid for 10 years.

The amount of time you've held your current passport in your possession is irrelevant. As to whether an unexpired passport is necessary, maybe someone else can answer that! However, I would think that even an expired passport is acceptable, as long as it shows a decent likeness of you (ie, your photo is not when you were 10 years old and you're now 35). So far as I know, passports don't expire as valid forms of identification and citizenship, even when the passport itself expires and you can no longer use it to travel.

Just my opinion.... someone else may have a different take on it.

~ Jenney

beyness Jul 15th 2002 3:49 pm

Thanks so much. You are all very helpful, especially Rete, who has replyed to all my questions. Your advice is invaluable. I'll update you on the progress and help others as well.

L D Jones Jul 15th 2002 4:20 pm

beyness wrote:
    >
    > Thnaks so much for everyone's help so far.. I'm being nit picky (and maybe a bit
    > paranoid)now, but I feel I need to:
    >
    > 1. On the G-325, it asks for your employment for the past five years. Since I was
    > an actress in New York, I had LOADS of jobs, part-time, full time, acting and
    > theatre, free-lance, one day commerical and modeling things, temp jobs.. do I
    > need to list ALL of these (it would take up a few pages), or should I just list
    > the main ones that

I would list as many as you possibly can and use a continuation sheet. If I were you
I would concentrate on the last 3 years in particular (I have no reason for this
other than it seems logical).

> 2. Same form, residences for the past 5 years.. Since I've been travelling, I have
    > month gaps in my residences. I can't list every single hostel we've stayd in for
    > the past two years! Will it matter if there are gaps of seven months in between
    > residences or should I just put the apt that my friends were subletting even
    > though I wasn't paying the rent anymore? Sorry to complicated!

Don't know if it will matter. Just list everything you possibly can

> 3.On al the forms, when it says write N/A for thing that are not applicable, do I
    > have to write that for every single blank? If I have written it for "children",
    > must I write it for "children's date of birth" when I've already established I
    > don't have children?

We didn't write N/A when it was obvious (like for questions like this one) but most
people who post here say never to leave any box blank.

> 4. in proving I am a US citizen, I must " show my passport that was issued for at
    > least five years". I'm getting "issued" and "possessed" confused maybe? My
    > passport was issued for 10 years, but I've only had it for 2 and a half years...
    > is this okay?

Of course as long as it is valid for at least 6 months by the time of AOS (but I may
be confusing this with the beneficiary's passport requirements). Don't try to read
too much in to questions like that.