British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   More madness back in blighty (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/more-madness-back-blighty-358173/)

BigDavyG Feb 28th 2006 4:57 pm

More madness back in blighty

Look at this - ffs - when will people get some common sense.
How about passing meaningful laws to prevent accidents occuring (not just cops behind hedges with hairdryers) as supposed to this nonsense...
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4759944.stm

snowbunny Feb 28th 2006 5:15 pm

Re: More madness back in blighty

I have to agree with the law.

Even short adults are at risk of injury from the seatbelt if there is an accident. Seatbelts are targeted at an 'average adult height' and if a person is shorter than this, the shoulder belt comes to close to the neck. Also, the lap belt may ride up and go across the abdomen, causing abdominal trauma such as a ruptured spleen or liver.

There needs to be a better way to adjust existing seatbelts. A few cars allow you to lower the height of the shoulder belt where it's anchored to the pillar by the door.

Elsie The Maid Feb 28th 2006 5:15 pm

Actually, we still make our 9 & 7 year olds sit in a little booster seat, just to raise them up a bit so the seatbelt isn't cutting across their necks.

snowbunny Feb 28th 2006 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Elsie The Maid
Actually, we still make our 9 & 7 year olds sit in a little booster seat, just to raise them up a bit so the seatbelt isn't cutting across their necks.

Yep, the pediatrician's advice is to keep them in booster seats as long as they'll stand for it. Otherwise you have to tuck the shoulder belt behind them, leaving them with only the lap belt to restrain them. I hate to think of the damage a lap belt would do to a small child's abdomen.

BigDavyG Feb 28th 2006 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Even short adults are at risk of injury from the seatbelt if there is an accident. Seatbelts are targeted at an 'average adult height' and if a person is shorter than this, the shoulder belt comes to close to the neck. Also, the lap belt may ride up and go across the abdomen, causing abdominal trauma such as a ruptured spleen or liver.

There needs to be a better way to adjust existing seatbelts. A few cars allow you to lower the height of the shoulder belt where it's anchored to the pillar by the door.

I'm not saying its a bad law per say, but all this driving stuff is centered on what happens after an accident - how about concentrating on prevention. Just look at the number of drivers who are clearly not fit to be on the roads in the first place.
In the UK at least the only "accident prevention" the police get involved (speed limit enforcement) in is actually a revenue gathering exercise and nothing more.

TaffyinOK Feb 28th 2006 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Even short adults are at risk of injury from the seatbelt if there is an accident.

I think I may have to invest in a booster seat for myself - I'm 4' 10" :o
In all seriousness though, I find that almost all seatbelts are uncomfortable for a short person like myself. However, no matter how annoying the bloody things are, I always buckle up - don't leave the driveway without buckling up actually. When I taught my three daughters to drive I brainwashed them into buckling up too because I love them enough to care.

Partystar Feb 28th 2006 6:11 pm

Why weren't these laws put into effect years ago? I thought there already was a law about no more passengers than seat belts in back, I guess not.

Yorkieabroad Feb 28th 2006 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I'm not saying its a bad law per say, but all this driving stuff is centered on what happens after an accident - how about concentrating on prevention. Just look at the number of drivers who are clearly not fit to be on the roads in the first place.
In the UK at least the only "accident prevention" the police get involved (speed limit enforcement) in is actually a revenue gathering exercise and nothing more.

But the 2 aren't mutually exclusive - shouldn't it be a two pronged approach? - ie accident prevention in the first place, and also acknowledgement of the fact that you will NEVER get to a zero accident rate, so minimisation of injuries in the event of an accident?

To draw a medical analogy, does encouragement towards healthy living and preventive medicine mean that we should ditch medical research and investment on treatment for people that slip through the net and actually get sick? (Sorry, feeling in a bit of an obtuse mood today ;) )

Ps - totally agree ref the hair driers and cameras...

BigDavyG Feb 28th 2006 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
But the 2 aren't mutually exclusive - shouldn't it be a two pronged approach? - ie accident prevention in the first place, and also acknowledgement of the fact that you will NEVER get to a zero accident rate, so minimisation of injuries in the event of an accident?

To draw a medical analogy, does encouragement towards healthy living and preventive medicine mean that we should ditch medical research and investment on treatment for people that slip through the net and actually get sick? (Sorry, feeling in a bit of an obtuse mood today ;) )

Ps - totally agree ref the hair driers and cameras...

That's my point - i'm not seeing the second prong anywhere, just more stupid rules and regulations.
Anyway, I find it worrying that people will be fined for breaching these new rules. If this is really the best thing for the kids (and it seems to be) I would think that any parent who doesn't enforce it would need a lot more than a fine.

Yorkieabroad Feb 28th 2006 6:54 pm

Anyway, I find it worrying that people will be fined for breaching these new rules. If this is really the best thing for the kids (and it seems to be) I would think that any parent who doesn't enforce it would need a lot more than a fine.

They should throw the freakin' book at them!!

BigDavyG Feb 28th 2006 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
They should throw the freakin' book at them!!

i agree completely, but let's not go down the road where this is heading - i'll be here all day otherwise :rolleyes:

Jaxbar Feb 28th 2006 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by TaffyinOK
I think I may have to invest in a booster seat for myself - I'm 4' 10" :o
In all seriousness though, I find that almost all seatbelts are uncomfortable for a short person like myself. However, no matter how annoying the bloody things are, I always buckle up - don't leave the driveway without buckling up actually. When I taught my three daughters to drive I brainwashed them into buckling up too because I love them enough to care.

I am exactly the same height and have two cushions so
i can see road properly. I once looked for a booster seat but the weight limitation isnt suitable for adults. It scares me to death the thought of the airbag going off and taking my head off, I wondered about having it deactivated. don't know which risk is worse :eek:

honeymommy Mar 1st 2006 12:06 am

Look at this - ffs - when will people get some common sense.
How about passing meaningful laws to prevent accidents occuring (not just cops behind hedges with hairdryers) as supposed to this nonsense...
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4759944.stm

LOL... Under 1.35m... Thats about half the year 7's at my son's secondary school. Won't be too good for the teen image now will it.... :D

The way over it is to become a taxi driver as they don't have to provide them... ;) Can see all us mums now in line to get a taxi license.... :D

All joking aside though, I do feel that child safety especially in a car is a huge priority. I will abide by the new rule....

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 1st 2006 12:45 am

That is not true.

Bob Mar 1st 2006 12:51 am

They had to change the law in Maine because it use to be by weight, which meant the missus had to, legally anyway, have a booster seat till she was 15 :D
Then they changed it to include age/height *lol*