British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   More driving questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/more-driving-questions-628663/)

Ginblossom Sep 1st 2009 10:06 pm

More driving questions
 
Ok, this even sounds dumb even before I asked, but I will take my chances anyways and just ask at the risk of ridicule.

Is there any state whereby you do not have a driving test and could simply exchange a UK licence?

Noorah101 Sep 1st 2009 10:13 pm

Re: More driving questions
 

Originally Posted by Ginblossom (Post 7895393)
Ok, this even sounds dumb even before I asked, but I will take my chances anyways and just ask at the risk of ridicule.

Is there any state whereby you do not have a driving test and could simply exchange a UK licence?

Not to my knowledge.

Rene

Elvira Sep 1st 2009 10:23 pm

Re: More driving questions
 

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 7895416)
Not to my knowledge.

Rene

There is the odd exception where some DMV dimvit thinks that UK stands for Uklahoma... :lol:

Jerseygirl Sep 1st 2009 10:31 pm

Re: More driving questions
 

Originally Posted by Ginblossom (Post 7895393)
Ok, this even sounds dumb even before I asked, but I will take my chances anyways and just ask at the risk of ridicule.

Is there any state whereby you do not have a driving test and could simply exchange a UK licence?

We only had to sit a multi answer written test.


Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 7895442)
There is the odd exception where some DMV dimvit thinks that UK stands for Uklahoma... :lol:

Yeah that was me. :rofl:

robin1234 Sep 2nd 2009 1:14 pm

Re: More driving questions
 

Originally Posted by Ginblossom (Post 7895393)
Ok, this even sounds dumb even before I asked, but I will take my chances anyways and just ask at the risk of ridicule.

Is there any state whereby you do not have a driving test and could simply exchange a UK licence?

Don't worry about the road-test. A recently dead corpse could easilly pass the New York test, probably the same in most states.

chartreuse Sep 2nd 2009 1:19 pm

Re: More driving questions
 
This is actualy a really interesting question. Another thread got me wondering about this - it seems that some states have reciprocity with certain countries (Germany pops up quite often, for some reason).

I haven't been able to find a comprehensive list of such agreements though.

HoosierDaddy Sep 2nd 2009 1:20 pm

Re: More driving questions
 

Originally Posted by Ginblossom (Post 7895393)
Ok, this even sounds dumb even before I asked, but I will take my chances anyways and just ask at the risk of ridicule.

Is there any state whereby you do not have a driving test and could simply exchange a UK licence?

If there was even a remote possibility of this being an option, please let the others on this board know which roads you'll be driving on and we'd be glad to avoid 'em.

Kar98 Sep 2nd 2009 5:12 pm

Re: More driving questions
 

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 7897028)
This is actualy a really interesting question. Another thread got me wondering about this - it seems that some states have reciprocity with certain countries (Germany pops up quite often, for some reason).

I haven't been able to find a comprehensive list of such agreements though.

Well, reciprocity don't mean jack. You can drive up to one year with a German license, as long as you're a tourist; in most (I wanna say all but don't know that) state. But as soon as you take up residence in a state (take a job or rent an apartment), it's only a few weeks that you're allowed to use a foreign or out-of-state license (Texas just changed that period from 30 to 90 days).

CelticRover Sep 2nd 2009 5:47 pm

Re: More driving questions
 

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 7897010)
Don't worry about the road-test. A recently dead corpse could easilly pass the New York test, probably the same in most states.

:D

CelticRover Sep 2nd 2009 5:53 pm

Re: More driving questions
 
Once a person converts from temporary residency to permanent, the state usually requires it's new resident to obtain that state's driver's licence within a prescribed grace period.

chartreuse Sep 2nd 2009 6:02 pm

Re: More driving questions
 

Originally Posted by Kar98 (Post 7897663)
Well, reciprocity don't mean jack. You can drive up to one year with a German license, as long as you're a tourist; in most (I wanna say all but don't know that) state. But as soon as you take up residence in a state (take a job or rent an apartment), it's only a few weeks that you're allowed to use a foreign or out-of-state license (Texas just changed that period from 30 to 90 days).


Originally Posted by CelticRover (Post 7897780)
Once a person converts from temporary residency to permanent, the state usually requires it's new resident to obtain that state's driver's licence within a prescribed grace period.

Err... yeah, we all know that. Reciprocity means that they'll trade your foreign license for a state one, like they do with out of state licences.

Kar98 Sep 2nd 2009 6:06 pm

Re: More driving questions
 

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 7897806)
Err... yeah, we all know that. Reciprocity means that they'll trade your foreign license for a state one, like they do with out of state licences.

Well, I had to take the test from scratch. And I still have my German one.

chartreuse Sep 2nd 2009 6:09 pm

Re: More driving questions
 

Originally Posted by Kar98 (Post 7897818)
Well, I had to take the test from scratch. And I still have my German one.

Thereby demonstrating that you were unable to take advantage of a reciprocal agreement in TX. So we now know that (at least when you got your license) TX had no reciprocal agreement with Germany (or, if it did, the DPS clerk was unaware of it).

The OP was asking which states have reciprocity with the UK, however.

Norri Sep 2nd 2009 6:20 pm

Re: More driving questions
 

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 7897028)
This is actualy a really interesting question. Another thread got me wondering about this - it seems that some states have reciprocity with certain countries (Germany pops up quite often, for some reason).

I haven't been able to find a comprehensive list of such agreements though.

My recollection is the same as yours, that some countries do have reciprocity in some states, unfortuanately I can't recall the source.

CelticRover Sep 2nd 2009 6:29 pm

Re: More driving questions
 

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 7897831)
Thereby demonstrating that you were unable to take advantage of a reciprocal agreement in TX. So we now know that (at least when you got your license) TX had no reciprocal agreement with Germany (or, if it did, the DPS clerk was unaware of it).

The OP was asking which states have reciprocity with the UK, however.

Easy, cowboy, easy now!:)


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:56 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.