Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

More driving questions

More driving questions

Old Dec 31st 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More driving questions

Originally Posted by lansbury
The answer to the question I think you are asking is no. You have to prove residence in a State as part of the license issuing process.
That was my understanding too which is why I asked but ajcmals seems to think thats not necessary.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 7:06 pm
With 'er indoors :-D

Rumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really nice

Originally Posted by SarahG
I've got my driving test on Saturday morning. Hope it doesn't snow and that they let me use the car. Husband crashed into another car last weekend and had to repair the front bumper with tape as most of the left bumper was either on the ground or hanging off!
I am bloody awful at parallel parking. Actually I am rubbish at parking. Have no spatial awareness.
Get a rental instead to be on the safe side. Choose something small. Go to the test center the night before and practice your parallel parking until you get it right. My wife failed her test on parallel parking.

And good luck.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 7:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
That was my understanding too which is why I asked but ajcmals seems to think thats not necessary.
If you look at the DMV site for the State you will be moving too, it will list what you have to prove (identity, residence etc) and what documents are an acceptable proof of that criteria. Like most things differs a bit from State to State.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
I've got my driving test on Saturday morning. Hope it doesn't snow and that they let me use the car. Husband crashed into another car last weekend and had to repair the front bumper with tape as most of the left bumper was either on the ground or hanging off!
I am bloody awful at parallel parking. Actually I am rubbish at parking. Have no spatial awareness.
You will likely need to make sure that all of your lights are working. i.e. indicators and headlights. If they aren't you may not be able to use it for your test.

Originally Posted by ajcmals
I got my KY drivers license a couple of weeks ago. Mine went like this:

*Show Green Card (been here since May 2009), UK Licence, Current Car Insurance
*Take EASY PEASY eye test
*Do easy multiple choice on-screen test

GOT LICENSE! Didn't have to take a road test apparently 'because I have a green card'?! Even though the road test would have been on a disused airfield... this is why I WORRY about drivers here in KY! Accidents EVERYDAY en-route to and from work!
Hmmm.. When my hubby got his license, he had to do a road test. He didn't have his green card approved at that time, so perhaps there was a different set of rules for LPRs. I did my road test at Bowmen Field, if that's the airport you're referring to. Its not a disused airfield at all. It's a smaller municpal airport. I've been involved in 2 accidents on KY roadways, one was my fault and the other wasn't..that's in 15yrs of driving. Not too bad IMHO.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Dec 31st 2009 at 7:18 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Kentucky - Green Card came 2 months after marrying! :D
ajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, you weren't being sarcastic... I just didn't understand your question... Too many MO's!

I had proof of residency. In another thread about driving i'd commented on obtaining a permit while AOS was being processed. If I had tried to get a drivers license on a K-1 Visa or while waiting for AOS (Green Card) then I would have had to get what's called a 'blue letter', which entails taking all my visa documentation, passport etc etc to the DMV then getting a permit to take the test etc., I just decided to wait as the KY DMV instructed me that my UK licence was good for a year...

Low-and-behold my Green Card arrived 2months after getting married and I went to DMV to take tests a couple of weeks back. I was expecting to take all 3 tests including road test. After taking my eye and written test I went back to the window expecting to take the road test but they told me to go to the 'photo' area for my license pic... I then asked "When do I take the road test", to which they said "You have a green card so you don't have to"

Old Dec 31st 2009, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
You will likely need to make sure that all of your lights are working. i.e. indicators and headlights. If they aren't you may not be able to use it for your test.
Lights etc work. There is a load of tape holding all the bits of the bumper together. One silver bit of car when the rest is a weird tan/gold color. I hate taking tests. I always feel on edge and start ramblng away total nonsense! Husband thinnks car will be ok. Not sure if any rental places would be open tomorrow to get a car at my test is first thing on Saturday. May just have to go and see what they say. If I fail then so be it. At least I don't have to pay to take the test.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajcmals
Sorry, you weren't being sarcastic... I just didn't understand your question... Too many MO's!

I had proof of residency. In another thread about driving i'd commented on obtaining a permit while AOS was being processed. If I had tried to get a drivers license on a K-1 Visa or while waiting for AOS (Green Card) then I would have had to get what's called a 'blue letter', which entails taking all my visa documentation, passport etc etc to the DMV then getting a permit to take the test etc., I just decided to wait as the KY DMV instructed me that my UK licence was good for a year...

Low-and-behold my Green Card arrived 2months after getting married and I went to DMV to take tests a couple of weeks back. I was expecting to take all 3 tests including road test. After taking my eye and written test I went back to the window expecting to take the road test but they told me to go to the 'photo' area for my license pic... I then asked "When do I take the road test", to which they said "You have a green card so you don't have to"

That's exactly what my OH had to do. We lived in a tiny ass town in central KY back then, and we had to take time off from work to find the nearest regional office that would give him the blue letter. Then go back to our town and schedule his tests (it was a small town & they only did tests by appt a few days a week). It took several weeks for him to get the license. It was a major PITA needless to say.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 7:31 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, this even sounds dumb even before I asked, but I will take my chances anyways and just ask at the risk of ridicule.

Is there any state whereby you do not have a driving test and could simply exchange a UK licence?
If you're worried about driving on the Right, don't be. I think you'll do fine.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 1:28 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, this even sounds dumb even before I asked, but I will take my chances anyways and just ask at the risk of ridicule.

Is there any state whereby you do not have a driving test and could simply exchange a UK licence?
Having read all the replies no one has asked this yet.

Why??

Do you seriously think you will fail the test in your state? If yes, then I respectfully suggest that you NEED to take lessons and the test.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelmas
Having read all the replies no one has asked this yet.

Why??

Do you seriously think you will fail the test in your state? If yes, then I respectfully suggest that you NEED to take lessons and the test.
I dont think I will fail the test or am not especially worried about it.

I have been driving for years, and have driven in the US before.

I was just curious that was all.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:26 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think I will fail the test or am not especially worried about it.

I have been driving for years, and have driven in the US before.

I was just curious that was all.
Driving skills are not prerequisite for the test.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:45 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Driving skills are not prerequisite for the test.
Maybe not but psychically knowing the blood alcohol content of the driver in front of you and then figuring out the stopping distance needed at 37mph on icy roads is.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:49 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
Maybe not but psychically knowing the blood alcohol content of the driver in front of you and then figuring out the stopping distance needed at 37mph on icy roads is.
You had a bad day at work and drank 12 beers and 12 chasers in the bar on the way home. Should you:
a) drive home now before your spouse gets angry?
b) drink a coffee before you drive home?
c) take a breath mint before you drive home?
d) call a cab?
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:50 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You had a bad day at work and drank 12 beers and 12 chasers in the bar on the way home. Should you:
a) drive home now before your spouse gets angry?
b) drink a coffee before you drive home?
c) take a breath mint before you drive home?
d) call a cab?
I think I saw that on the ME test 9 years ago.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

12 years ago my DH took his test in California.

Being a Brit and a little worried he turned up early and waited.

Eventually he was called by a woman (his quote who seemed a 'bit odd') he was asked to drive down the road and turn right, seconds later he was asked to pull over, he assumed this was the parking bit, so he did. Woman got out of the car and asked him to wait, 20 minutes later she came back got in the car thanked him and said drive back to the test centre, which he did. En route she said he was so kind to have waited whilst she went to book her wedding, he shocked, but hey whatever, congratulated her and asked when the wedding was, reply 'Oh I don't know yet I haven't found a husband'

When they got back to the test place she told him he'd passed handed him the slip, it was covered in doodled love hearts!

He still craps himself when he has to drive past the place!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.