Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

More Bank Fee Hikes

More Bank Fee Hikes

Old Oct 5th 2011, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More Bank Fee Hikes

Originally Posted by N1cky
You see all banks are equally shit. I just went to open an account with them, it asked where I was legally resident I answer USA, it asks if I'm a US Citizen I say no. It comes up and says if you live outside the USA you have to do xyz. I don't live outside the USA, I'm just not a citizen
You must be trying to open account online? If so, I think there is a restriction. if you go to the branch, you will be ok.

BTW, i try and do more and more business with my CU.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 12:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Lol, that page you get to is pretty funny. I mean, what were they thinking?
They don't..bit like much of the software these banks use

Anyway, the missus was saying she has had quite a few people walking across the street to open accounts where she works because of the BoA charges, one was even a BoA employee
Old Oct 6th 2011, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I bank with Citibank, however the letter I got on Monday states $15 for balances under $6,500.

I'm going to Chase on Friday to move my account, I've always hated Citibank and this is the final straw. I'm sure Chase will start with the fees soon too though
I too bank with Citibank and had an EZ checking account with them. This would now cost me 15 dollars per month unless I kept a balance there of $6,500.00 as stated.

I went into the bank yesterday and had it changed to a BASIC checking account. The only real difference I could see was this new account did not give me free check books. It still had bill payments, transfers etc etc. This now costs me nothing because I only need to keep $1,500.00 in this account as a montly average balance - something I do anyway in order to pay the bills each month.

Something to consider .........
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:06 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I too bank with Citibank and had an EZ checking account with them. This would now cost me 15 dollars per month unless I kept a balance there of $6,500.00 as stated.

I went into the bank yesterday and had it changed to a BASIC checking account. The only real difference I could see was this new account did not give me free check books. It still had bill payments, transfers etc etc. This now costs me nothing because I only need to keep $1,500.00 in this account as a montly average balance - something I do anyway in order to pay the bills each month.

Something to consider .........
Thanks for this, that would make my life easier at the moment. Stupid thing is I think thats what our main account already is, but then I have another account with them, which had a small balance in, something the bank had to open because they couldn't add my SSN to the account.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I closed my B of A account a few days ago because of changes. I also stopped my direct deposit to them.
I closed my account with Chase about a month ago because of fees and I stopped my direct deposit with them.
I now have three checking accounts and they all give me free checks, ATM cards and excellent service and no monthly or other charges. One I just changed to is going to give me $75 to use how I wish. They are also going to give me $40 for using bill pay.

Where is my pension check going? I'll get it in the mail and I will have access to it earlier than the direct deposit in the bank.

OK some people are demonstrating on Wall Street but you can demonstrate at your bank! If you are with the big banks close down your account and see if they get the message?
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:04 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I'm going to open an account at a credit union on Friday. What documents do I need to take with me to change accounts? I take it I need our passports and visas, SSN's and current bank details. Anything else?
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I'm going to open an account at a credit union on Friday. What documents do I need to take with me to change accounts? I take it I need our passports and visas, SSN's and current bank details. Anything else?
Don't complicate your opening an account. You need-
1. Drivers license
2. Deposit money

You can take the ones you mentioned but keep them out of sight unless you are asked for them.

I was only asked for the above two when I opened my account last Friday.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:40 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
1. Drivers license
2. Deposit money

You can take the ones you mentioned but keep them out of sight unless you are asked for them.

And shop around. Some credit unions are a lot better than others.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:41 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Eeny meeny miny mo ..........

Horse poop.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

You might need proof of address, like a utility bill. Call ahead and find out.

We've banked at US Bank for about a year now. We haven't been charged any monthly fees, because we had a direct deposit. Given we are moving overseas, this won't be continuing. We do get charged $.25 for each debit card transaction, but we always use our card as a credit so it's not been a problem for us. One nice thing is that we've always had ATM fees from non-USBank ATMs, returned to us.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Oct 6th 2011 at 3:28 am.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 3:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the credit union.

Some require membership at certain institutions, or that you work at certain companies...but these days, usually residence within a certain area.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 11:36 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

You see all banks are equally shit. I just went to open an account with them, it asked where I was legally resident I answer USA, it asks if I'm a US Citizen I say no. It comes up and says if you live outside the USA you have to do xyz. I don't live outside the USA, I'm just not a citizen
Originally Posted by E3only
You must be trying to open account online? If so, I think there is a restriction. if you go to the branch, you will be ok.
Sounds like a shit website to me. I've opened a few checking (and savings) accounts online with different banks and not had this issue. (I'm an LPR).
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I closed my B of A account a few days ago because of changes. I also stopped my direct deposit to them.
I closed my account with Chase about a month ago because of fees and I stopped my direct deposit with them.
I now have three checking accounts and they all give me free checks, ATM cards and excellent service and no monthly or other charges. One I just changed to is going to give me $75 to use how I wish. They are also going to give me $40 for using bill pay.

Where is my pension check going? I'll get it in the mail and I will have access to it earlier than the direct deposit in the bank.

OK some people are demonstrating on Wall Street but you can demonstrate at your bank! If you are with the big banks close down your account and see if they get the message?
Oooooo have I missed something on my account. I've not seen any fees or been told of any new fees on my Chase account. I know they stopped you getting $1's back for using your card as credit and dropped the $25 fee, but I don't know of any other fees
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

1. Drivers license
2. Deposit money

I'm pretty sure that when we opened accounts at the local CU they wanted the SSN as well as a third requirement.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
Oooooo have I missed something on my account. I've not seen any fees or been told of any new fees on my Chase account. I know they stopped you getting $1's back for using your card as credit and dropped the $25 fee, but I don't know of any other fees
They stuck a $15 per month "management" fee on my business account. A bit steep seeing as I pay about 4 checks a month in, 2 out and around 10 debit card transactions.
I'm with one of the local credit unions now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.